Pink Floyd DSOTM Harvest USA first pressing, mint

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Got one of these today with some other as yet un-pedigreed Pink Floyds, Jethro Tulls, Ten Years after.

The guy at Goodwill was just putting them out and told me there were several classic rock albums. The were all mint visually, never thought I would find a visually perfect, un-trashed DSOTM in a thrift. The Pink Floyd Archives place it as a first American pressing by numbers and scrawls, has a poster and a couple of stickers in the jacket as well.

I got some other odds and ends, the cashier saw the records but forgot to charge me for them, so he just told me to take them, freebie.

It will be interesting to compare it to my trashed version when I get it home to the "big rig" in Pleasanton.

The UK versions are supposed to sound the best for vinyl. Let's see if I can channel Steve's version from a couple of years ago played on reel to reel in the Danville/Wilson/Lamm system.

Now, what to do with those stickers?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Got one of these today with some other as yet un-pedigreed Pink Floyds, Jethro Tulls, Ten Years after.

The guy at Goodwill was just putting them out and told me there were several classic rock albums. The were all mint visually, never thought I would find a visually perfect, un-trashed DSOTM in a thrift. The Pink Floyd Archives place it as a first American pressing by numbers and scrawls, has a poster and a couple of stickers in the jacket as well.

I got some other odds and ends, the cashier saw the records but forgot to charge me for them, so he just told me to take them, freebie.

It will be interesting to compare it to my trashed version when I get it home to the "big rig" in Pleasanton.

The UK versions are supposed to sound the best for vinyl. Let's see if I can channel Steve's version from a couple of years ago played on reel to reel in the Danville/Wilson/Lamm system.

Now, what to do with those stickers?
The Goodwill stickers? Or the DSOTM stickers? (My little sister got into big trouble when the album came out and she stuck them on an antique cabinet when we were kids). On record store price tags, i wear them proudly! I get a kick out of old retail store stickers from original shrink warp. I am embarrassed by stickers from used record stores where I paid a premium for a record. BTW, one of the early Tull records, i can't remember of it is 'Benefit' or 'Stand-up' sounds pretty good.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The original DSOTM came with some Pink Floyd stickers, I used to see them on people's cars, and two posters. This one had two sets of stickers and the poster of the band memebers.

"Meddle" looks to be a second series Los Angeles pressing. "Animals" also looks like a second series LA pressing. I could not find the number from the dead wax for "Umma Gumma", but just guessing from the numbers they showed, it is also a second series pressing. All the records look perfect.

Of course, they can look perfect and play like sheit, so I have to see, but most of the time visually perfect records are also good at playback. The Tulls are "Living in the Past", "Too Old to RocknRoll", "MU, the Best of Jethro Tull" with a poster, and "Minstral in the Gallery". I have a badly beaten copy of "Aqualung" in Pleasanton, but it is great to listen to, anyway.

"Nursery Cryme" Genesis, and the Be Bop Deluxe with the naked girl in the glass on the cover, which I got only for the cover.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I want a really, really good copy of "Thick As a Brick."

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I lucked out. All record so far play mint or close to new. DSOTM has the typical overwrought, over equalized bass. Even turning the bass down, it' like a full body massage as the heartbeat bass persists through the cuts. Last time I played DSOTM full throttle on bass, record started falling off the shelves.

DSOTM in this near perfect vinyl does not compare to Steve's "I could tell you where I got this, but I would have to kill you" reel to reel tape. Probably just the limitation of the original vinyl issue/mastering.

Umma Gumma is much better sounding than the reasonably decent copy I already have. I tend to favor the Barret inspired early Floyd, before all their original instrumentation was stolen in New Orleans.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I lucked out. All record so far play mint or close to new. DSOTM has the typical overwrought, over equalized bass. Even turning the bass down, it' like a full body massage as the heartbeat bass persists through the cuts. Last time I played DSOTM full throttle on bass, record started falling off the shelves.

DSOTM in this near perfect vinyl does not compare to Steve's "I could tell you where I got this, but I would have to kill you" reel to reel tape. Probably just the limitation of the original vinyl issue/mastering.

Umma Gumma is much better sounding than the reasonably decent copy I already have. I tend to favor the Barret inspired early Floyd, before all their original instrumentation was stolen in New Orleans.

I find the bass a function of the pressing. Some it's missing, others it overblown. American pressings just don't cut it. Need to hear an original UK Harvest DSOTM.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I find the bass a function of the pressing. Some it's missing, others it overblown. American pressings just don't cut it. Need to hear an original UK Harvest DSOTM.

That's a bit hard to understand. Do they have different masters, or are you just saying the American vinyl pressing is of such poor quality that the bass is all over the map?

The British copies of records I have heard tend to be much better, much smoother sounding, but haven't heard UK Harvest DSOTM. Don't know if that was the tradition of the Brits just flipping off the yanks with funky equalizations, or if there was re-mastering for the American market.

All of the American prints of DSOTM that I have heard seem to have the overblown bass. Guess they wanted that heartbeat to rock to rafters.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's a bit hard to understand. Do they have different masters, or are you just saying the American vinyl pressing is of such poor quality that the bass is all over the map?

The British copies of records I have heard tend to be much better, much smoother sounding, but haven't heard UK Harvest DSOTM. Don't know if that was the tradition of the Brits just flipping off the yanks with funky equalizations, or if there was re-mastering for the American market.

All of the American prints of DSOTM that I have heard seem to have the overblown bass. Guess they wanted that heartbeat to rock to rafters.

I think they used different EQs for the UK and US releases (same goes for classical too--just compare the London with the Decca). Also probably different vinyl, different pressing plants (where they may have also re-Eq'd when mastering for the LCD turntables), etc. I'm not sure that all UK pressings are better despite claims to the contrary. I find it a 50/50 proposition.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I think they used different EQs for the UK and US releases (same goes for classical too--just compare the London with the Decca). Also probably different vinyl, different pressing plants (where they may have also re-Eq'd when mastering for the LCD turntables), etc. I'm not sure that all UK pressings are better despite claims to the contrary. I find it a 50/50 proposition.

I've got the a A3/B3 British Harvest DSOTM and I can safely say that it has the most even EQ of any of my DSOTM pressings. It's easily more focused and not nearly as bass heavy and foggy/opaque as my US pressing. My MFSL pressing has even better dimensional focus and a more natural low end, but it's obviously been lifted a bit on top. The US pressing is good, but only "good". The UK is easily superior, but I still prefer the MFSL pressing over the UK Harvest, more headroom, better dynamic contrast, and smoother. That said, my British Harvest came to me dirty, and although I've vacuum washed it several times, the stylus still accumulates too much dirt during play.

Therefore, I'm still in the "process" of cleaning it ... so I doubt I've heard it at it's best.

tb1

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I've got the a A3/B3 British Harvest DSOTM and I can safely say that it has the most even EQ of any of my DSOTM pressings. It's easily more focused and not nearly as bass heavy and foggy/opaque as my US pressing. My MFSL pressing has even better dimensional focus and a more natural low end, but it's obviously been lifted a bit on top. The US pressing is good, but only "good". The UK is easily superior, but I still prefer the MFSL pressing over the UK Harvest, more headroom, better dynamic contrast, and smoother. That said, my British Harvest came to me dirty, and although I've vacuum washed it several times, the stylus still accumulates too much dirt during play.

Therefore, I'm still in the "process" of cleaning it ... so I doubt I've heard it at it's best.

tb1
MoFi 'standard issue' or UHQR?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I have the standard issue MoFi and the Japanese Toshiba "Pro Use" version. The japanese press/mix is my favorite by far. I don't have a uk version and doubt I ever will since a NM condition if found will cost a fortune. I highly recommend the toshiba over the MoFi and it will probably cost less.

You can find one in nm for about $150.00. This is it, this guy wants too much

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Si...90496831667?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5aeb6cc8b3

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Standard issue.

Perhaps it was Last-ed

What fluid (s) are you using to clean the LP?

Perhaps, purchased used, it didn't have a Last sticker.

I've used Last preservative and those LPs still play without issue today, but have not used Last in a very long time.

I'm have a variety of cleaning liquids and have tried several on this LP. They worked in degrees, but they also seemed to loosen the dirt more than remove it. The stylus ends up compiling dirt on this particular LP more than any I've ever cleaned prior. It's much cleaner than it was, and it didn't "look" nearly as dirty when I purchased it ... but ... well ... I'll need to revisit this "project" the next time I compare pressings.

tb1

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have the standard issue MoFi and the Japanese Toshiba "Pro Use" version. The japanese press/mix is my favorite by far. I don't have a uk version and doubt I ever will since a NM condition if found will cost a fortune. I highly recommend the toshiba over the MoFi and it will probably cost less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Dark-Si...90496831667?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5aeb6cc8b3
Yea, I got me an old standard issue MoFi and a Japanese pressing, but I don't think it is the one you are showing. I know Myles likes the Harvest.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Well, the last thing I need is another DSOTM pressing.

I actually purchased the UK Harvest at a used LP store in which the owner is usually very aware of the value of his pressing. When I went thru the bin looking for a better copy of Meddle (which I still require) I came across the UK LP accidentally. I then took the LP out it's sleeve and read the dead wax, and low & behold, A3/B3. The price was $10, his standard fair. When I went to the counter to purchase the LP, the store owner who knows me as a local audiophile asked what I was looking for in the dead wax. I made certain that I paid him first, then I informed him of the UK pressings value with audiophiles. He was so upset at me that he basically booted me out the store, claiming I should have informed him of THAT value pre-sale.

Sometimes, you just can't win!

I have a Japanese version of The Wall that's really nice. I know a few audiophiles who really appreciate those Japanese versions as the best available.

tb1

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Standard issue.

Perhaps, purchased used, it didn't have a Last sticker.

I've used Last preservative and those LPs still play without issue today, but have not used Last in a very long time.

I'm have a variety of cleaning liquids and have tried several on this LP. They worked in degrees, but they also seemed to loosen the dirt more than remove it. The stylus ends up compiling dirt on this particular LP more than any I've ever cleaned prior. It's much cleaner than it was, and it didn't "look" nearly as dirty when I purchased it ... but ... well ... I'll need to revisit this "project" the next time I compare pressings.

tb1

That's curious. Never had that happen with a record save if had been cleaned by Genie in a Bottle, a LAST copy. Gunked up the styus terribly.

You might try Brian Weitzel/MFSL's Deep Cleaner first followed by one of the enzyme cleaners. I find AVIS works quite nicely (with the MOFI enzyme cleaner a close second).

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
That's curious. Never had that happen with a record save if had been cleaned by Genie in a Bottle, a LAST copy. Gunked up the styus terribly.

You might try Brian Weitzel/MFSL's Deep Cleaner first followed by one of the enzyme cleaners. I find AVIS works quite nicely (with the MOFI enzyme cleaner a close second).

Myles, thanks for the tip, it might require just that ... if and when my next attempt(s) fail.

tb1

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maybe a job for the "glue gun" method.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I also second your advise of Japanese "Pro Use" version. IMHO sound quality is better than the latter UK versions. My copy was played many times and the surfaces are still noiseless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing