MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
How does the DACIV do DSD, is it converted to PCM or handled natively?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

DSD is handled natively. Listened to a few SACD rips, which sounds pretty good to my ears. Have high-rez PCM and DSD channel classic tracks downloaded for an apples to apples comparison of the formats on this DAC, but not gotten around to listening yet. I will say though a well recorded/mastered PCM track sounds totally satifying and if would not miss native DSD for one minute if it was not supported by the DAC.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Native.
I even compared an actual SACD played through MSB's Universal Transport, and the corresponding SACD rip, from my Mac mini going to the DACIV's USB.
The results? Indistinguishable. Both appear as "DSD 64" on the DAC, and sound identical.

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Native.
I even compared an actual SACD played through MSB's Universal Transport, and the corresponding SACD rip, from my Mac mini going to the DACIV's USB.
The results? Indistinguishable. Both appear as "DSD 64" on the DAC, and sound identical.

alexandre

It would be interesting to compare the SACD rip played from the server with the actual SACD disc played in my modded Oppo that does proprietary DSD to PCM conversion at 176/24 and outputs this over S/PDIF. I may do this just for kicks at some point.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oppo just released beta firmware that'll play DSD natively. And since the DACIV accepts native DSD from all the inputs, it'll work with your Oppo.
Converting DSD to PCM brings a significant loss, no matter where the conversion is done (software in the server, DAC, etc.)

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Oppo just released beta firmware that'll play DSD natively. And since the DACIV accepts native DSD from all the inputs, it'll work with your Oppo.
Converting DSD to PCM brings a significant loss, no matter where the conversion is done (software in the server, DAC, etc.)

alexandre

I think the firmware will allow the Oppo to play native DSD input sources. Outputting native DSD from a SACD is a different cattle of fish, since this can only be done legally over HDMI with copyright protection. I'm pretty sure the new firmware won't let you do this.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I think the firmware will allow the Oppo to play native DSD input sources. Outputting native DSD from a SACD is a different cattle of fish, since this can only be done legally over HDMI with copyright protection. I'm pretty sure the new firmware won't let you do this.

True. I read the Stereophile report again, and it doesn't mention output. Anyway, there are transports out there that'll output unencrypted SACD via regular digital outputs, the MSB UMT being one of them :)
That's why I thought the Oppo would feature that...

alexandre

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
DSD is handled natively. Listened to a few SACD rips, which sounds pretty good to my ears. Have high-rez PCM and DSD channel classic tracks downloaded for an apples to apples comparison of the formats on this DAC, but not gotten around to listening yet. I will say though a well recorded/mastered PCM track sounds totally satifying and if would not miss native DSD for one minute if it was not supported by the DAC.

My understanding is the MSB is a ladder DAC. It's been beaten into my skull over and over that ladder DACs can not play DSD natively - at some point in the chain there must be conversion to PCM. Can anyone explain how MSB is able to handle DSD natively?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
True. I read the Stereophile report again, and it doesn't mention output. Anyway, there are transports out there that'll output unencrypted SACD via regular digital outputs, the MSB UMT being one of them :)

alexandre

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSB transport will only output DSD using the proprietary DSD link. Sending it out any other way (short of HDMI) would be illlegal.....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My understanding is the MSB is a ladder DAC. It's been beaten into my skull over and over that ladder DACs can not play DSD natively - at some point in the chain there must be conversion to PCM. Can anyone explain how MSB is able to handle DSD natively?

I'm sure one of the digital guru's hanging around on the forum can clarify.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSB transport will only output DSD using the proprietary DSD link. Sending it out any other way (short of HDMI) would be illlegal.....

With the recent firmware update the UMT will output native DSD over SPDIF.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
With the recent firmware update the UMT will output native DSD over SPDIF.

It is my understanding that if this is unencrypted DSD that works with any DSD capable DAC (not just MSB), this would be in violation of the SACD licensing agreement.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Native DSD signal can be sent out via an Asus Xonar soundcard's coaxial digital output and accepted by coaxial digital iutput of my MSB IV Plus.
I tried both HQPlayer (Linux) and JPlay & Foobar (Win7) successfully.
Here is the photo:
DSD 64X.jpg
;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It is my understanding that if this is unencrypted DSD that works with any DSD capable DAC (not just MSB), this would be in violation of the SACD licensing agreement.

My understanding is that playback & transmission/transfer of DSD format digital files are legal.

However if a SACD player manufacturer wants to output DSD signal from a SACD disc, permission from SACD patent holder Sony has to be sought. Sony usually only allows transmission of this DSD stream (from SACD discs) encoded and through HDMI or proprietary connections (such as Accuphase, dCS...etc).

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Native DSD signal can be sent out via an Asus Xonar soundcard's coaxial digital output and accepted by coaxial digital iutput of my MSB IV Plus.
I tried both HQPlayer (Linux) and JPlay & Foobar (Win7) successfully.

;)

That is a different issue. You are not spinning a SACD disc so there is no licensing restiction. A SACD player cannot output unencrypted high rez. Soundcards are not a problem.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My understanding is that playback & transmission/transfer of DSD format digital files are legal.

However if a SACD player manufacturer wants to output DSD signal from a SACD disc, permission from SACD patent holder Sony has to be sought. Sony usually only allows transmission of this DSD stream (from SACD discs) encoded and through HDMI or proprietary connections (such as Accuphase, dCS...etc).

This is consistent with my understanding. So for MSB to send unencrypted DSD over S/PDIF they would need Sony permission. I am not aware of any other manufacturer being granted this permission, and if such a player existed the sale of used PS3's for ripping SACDs would take a big hit....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

alexandre

alexandre

---- http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-50-0323B.aspx

http://www.stereophile.com/content/news-flash-oppo-now-plays-dsd-files

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I'm sure one of the digital guru's hanging around on the forum can clarify.

I'm actually not surprised no one has clarified this. Its like a taboo subject. Anytime the question comes up as to how MSB (a ladder DAC) is able to handle native DSD without some form of conversion, it goes unanswered.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm actually not surprised no one has clarified this. Its like a taboo subject. Anytime the question comes up as to how MSB (a ladder DAC) is able to handle native DSD without some form of conversion, it goes unanswered.

I personally don't loose much sleep over it. It sounds pretty good to me, and DSD content is MIA anyway. Bruce B. says his playback designs DAC sounds better on DSD than the MSB for half the price, so if DSD floats your boat MSB may not be your DAC. If money is no object get two DACs.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

The same situation/taboo applies to dCS. I am curious about how its 5-bit Ring DAC directly decodes native DSD files.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing