What preamp have I not tried?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Floyd,

Do you still have that NOS ax7 in your L2 power supply?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I do wonder if the M1.2 Ref is adding a bit of bass bloat. Next weekend I am going to Paragon to hear the Dan D'agostino Momentum (among other items).

I've never heard of Gryphon or Vitus, I'll have to research them. Pass XS is too big and hot for my room.

I have heard the D'Agostinos...stereo and monos. Although i have not extensively compared the two...my gut tells me i prefer the Stereo, and i think so did a couple of the guys at the dealership. A touch sweeter was the term they used.

I dont think you'll have bass bloat with your Sashas caused by the D'Agostinos. Good luck and pls post your findings!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Floyd,

Do you still have that NOS ax7 in your L2 power supply?

Yes, although I did try the stock tube as per suggestion. It didn't change the low end that much and overall I preferred the NOS.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have heard the D'Agostinos...stereo and monos. Although i have not extensively compared the two...my gut tells me i prefer the Stereo, and i think so did a couple of the guys at the dealership. A touch sweeter was the term they used.

I dont think you'll have bass bloat with your Sashas caused by the D'Agostinos. Good luck and pls post your findings!

Yeah, I'll be looking at the stereo version, if only for financial reasons. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Floyd,

you should really consider full range traps behind your head on the wall. As seen in your pictures, you head is too close to the wall w/o having absorption there, imo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, I'll be looking at the stereo version, if only for financial reasons. :)

MadF - they really are superbly transparent and they really are 'sweet' in the treble...and they really appear to be powerful...but i never really tested them. With D'Agostino at the helm with his name on the unit...i dont think its a stretch to assume they are 'indestructible' and will drive any load with punishing power.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Keith- I'm going through a similar process to Floyd and have Avantgarde horns, which are really efficient. (...)

Have you tried their own amplifier? I listened once to a pair of small Avantgarde's and it was really a delight.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If i change the sophia electric RP tubes for Full music 300 B i get more of the rounded/ rolled of tubey sound, the latest 300 B s have become much more Full Range.
To get the full triode magic i suggest one should go with a tube triode power amp as well

If i had not that efficient/easy speakers i would probably go for CAT amps , which are full range and powerfull
Keith- I'm going through a similar process to Floyd and have Avantgarde horns, which are really efficient. The midrange of the L2 is pretty special, it's not tube warmth (the L2 isn't tubes anyway, except in the power supply, which may account in part for why it sounds the way it does), but for lack of a better word, the midrange 'voicing' is very correct spatially- it just sounds like music. The frequency extremes drop off and while what's there is ok, it is 'dark.'
I haven't tried the various other solid state preamps discussed here (or that Floyd has already tried), but the trick would be to get the highest frequencies and deep bass articulation without giving up that midrange 'magic.' Thus my interest in this thread as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Have you tried their own amplifier? I listened once to a pair of small Avantgarde's and it was really a delight.

Nope, ran the horns first with the Audiopax 88, then the Lamm ML2 SET. There is a real synergy between the Duo and the ML2. I think the areas for improvement are: bigger, better room (will be happening); bigger speaker system (want to eliminate the discontinuity in the bass with the Duo) and line stage.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If i change the sophia electric RP tubes for Full music 300 B i get more of the rounded/ rolled of tubey sound, the latest 300 B s have become much more Full Range.
To get the full triode magic i suggest one should go with a tube triode power amp as well

If i had not that efficient/easy speakers i would probably go for CAT amps , which are full range and powerfull
Lamm ML2 is the 18 watt SET. It works great with the Avantgarde horns.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Here's another shot to show how open it does get. I have experimented with sitting closer (moving the chair you see in the pic in front of the couch). There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of bass. The biggest difference is not having my head right against the wall - which is why I use the yellow cushion to keep me bit forward - it works well).
View attachment 5277
Nice.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
And the bass in your Avantgarde s is active ???
Yep, sorry, I don't mean to derail Floyd's thread. The output of the ML2 goes directly to the midrange horn- no crossover. Then a jumper to the horn tweeter, and another jumper (fed by the ML 2) to an input of binding posts that accept amplifier output as input to an active woofer system. There is a well-known issue with this speaker having a tricky blend between the horns and the woofers. I would eventually like to have horn loaded woofs, and for that, I'm gonna need a big room.
Postscript: I guess the point is, with two very different systems, rooms and listeners, both Floyd and I can zero in on the strengths and weaknesses of a particular line stage that we have in common. That was the reason I chimed in earlier on the use of efficient speakers not changing the conclusion, and also, why I am interested in the various line stage alternatives being discussed. Back to our program? :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sorry madfloyd :D Whart indeed beautifull system/ room i looked it up on the gon ,looks like a cosy music place.
And madfloyd what different pre s are concerned , i suggest you listen to the mentioned candidates, preferably in your own system and decide whether its worth changing.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating ,( not in magazines ):D

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've heard Madfloyd's system many times. I agree with those who are starting to suggest more powerful SS amps. I dragged my Pass XA160.5 to his house when he had the Pass XP30 and Ayre pre for comparison. (Not easy to move those monsters.) Sure enough, to my ears, the amps made the system sing like I have not heard it - and with both preamps. The key was that the Pass SS amps drove the Sashas beautifully. There was plenty of control, extension, ease, and the vinyl was just incredible. I thought it sounded quite transparent, but I think Madfloyd prefers some tubes in the chain. It was the best I've heard the Sashas sound at his house. Of course, I'm heavily biased toward Pass gear, and he knows this well, but the XA160.5/XP-30 combo was really, really good. The Sashas are a very tough load and they need lots of good, clean power, IMO.

Sorry, Madfloyd, to take this discussion away from pre amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've heard Madfloyd's system many times. I agree with those who are starting to suggest more powerful SS amps. I dragged my Pass XA160.5 to his house when he had the Pass XP30 and Ayre pre for comparison. Sure enough, to my ears, the amps made the system sing like I have not heard it - and with both preamps...plenty of control, extension, ease, and the vinyl was just incredible. I thought it sounded quite transparent, but I think Madfloyd prefers some tubes in the chain. ... Sorry, Madfloyd, to take this discussion away from pre amps.

With Peter's email, MadFloyd, and Andromeda's...i will add to my earlier post suggesting a relook at the amp.

1. For me, when i get a speaker whose 'voice' I generally like...the next thing i learned was that giving it the right engine block to really drive made a big improvement. Note - the improvement was in the same vein as the original voicing i heard in the speaker...its just that it felt more accomplished in all the areas where i originally liked the speaker...and it substantially improved in areas where perhaps i originally thought it had quite a weakness.

If you like your Sashas...and there is a lot to like there...an even more powerful (high current and ability to drive tougher loads more than pure watts) and still transparent amp with your Lamm pre might just do it.

2. The other way to do it...is to get a speaker that has similar voicing to your Sashas...that is easier to drive and bigger (for the bass wallop you may be looking for)...guess what...Maxx3/Alexandria.

Depending on what amp you go for...you might find trading in your Sashas and adding money to get bigger, second-hand Wilsons...may result in close to the same 'out of pocket' as keeping the Sashas and investing purely cash to get the bigger amp.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I've heard Madfloyd's system many times. I agree with those who are starting to suggest more powerful SS amps. I dragged my Pass XA160.5 to his house when he had the Pass XP30 and Ayre pre for comparison. (Not easy to move those monsters.) Sure enough, to my ears, the amps made the system sing like I have not heard it - and with both preamps. The key was that the Pass SS amps drove the Sashas beautifully. There was plenty of control, extension, ease, and the vinyl was just incredible. I thought it sounded quite transparent, but I think Madfloyd prefers some tubes in the chain. It was the best I've heard the Sashas sound at his house. Of course, I'm heavily biased toward Pass gear, and he knows this well, but the XA160.5/XP-30 combo was really, really good. The Sashas are a very tough load and they need lots of good, clean power, IMO.

Sorry, Madfloyd, to take this discussion away from pre amps.
Interesting in that you are suggesting that the lack of bass articulation is a result of the amp, and not his line stage.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Whart, That is correct. We first listened to the two preamps with his Lamm amps. After a few hours we inserted my amps and listened to both preamps again. All bass issues were resolved, IMO. The bass was more articulate, more extended and fuller with no bloating. It sounded more natural. The Lamm amps sound great in the mid range and upper frequencies, but I think the Sashas need more current and control for the lower frequencies. The XA160.5 are 320 watts at 4 ohms and 640 watts at 2 ohms with lots of current. My suspicion is that Madfloyd felt the Pass/Pass combo was a bit thin, but perhaps he will chime in here with his own opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing