DCS Vivaldi

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
This has become one very informative threads out there for me.

But despite all of this comments and explanation on separate vs integrated dac+clock issue. I can't figure out how my Scarlatti DAC+Clock combo can still beat most of the other combinations including MSB femto clocked DAC on revealing, soundstaging.

I have also tried last night to take out the clock and run dac alone and there was audible difference on harmonics and the veil was put in front. Than I switch on again and suddenly more calm, effortless and revealing music was out there.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
This has become one very informative threads out there for me.

I'm gratified that you find all this techie-speak useful.

But despite all of this comments and explanation on separate vs integrated dac+clock issue. I can't figure out how my Scarlatti DAC+Clock combo can still beat most of the other combinations including MSB femto clocked DAC on revealing, soundstaging.

Thanks for the question - its an intriguing one to ponder. I do have my reservations over the approach to multibit used by MSB - they seem to me have overly focussed on linearity vs level and perhaps they're missing out on other valuable stuff as a result.

I have also tried last night to take out the clock and run dac alone and there was audible difference on harmonics and the veil was put in front. Than I switch on again and suddenly more calm, effortless and revealing music was out there.

I concur with Bruce's remarks earlier that a DAC that needs an external clock to sound good is broken in some way. We just need to figure out how the Scarlatti gets its clocking wrong when stand-alone....

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
This thread has become very interesting and it is great that the engineers explain their views. However I think some of what has been written here is a matter of conviction and beleif rather than absolute truth. It is after all most important how it sounds.

For instance if you take the time to listen it is clearly evident that the dCS Upsamplers samplerate conversion or any other samplerate conversion can provide better sound. If this might be because of noiseshaping, because they move noise out of the audible frequency area or some other explenation, I can't say. However if the audible result is what matters, there can be no doubt about the positive effecti of samplerate conversion even if it doesn't full in gaps in the recording which is not there.

Another no-brainer if listening and audible result matters most is the positive effect of master/slaved clocking and the clocks accuracy. Its clearly audible that the dCS or Esoteric stacks sound better when the external clock is used compared to using the clock in their DACs even though the the latter has a shortly distance to the DAC chips. It is also clearly evident if you move up the Esoteric product range of external clocks that higher accuracy gives better sound.

Thanks,
Roysen

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
However I think some of what has been written here is a matter of conviction and beleif rather than absolute truth. It is after all most important how it sounds.

Mostly engineers will offer the benefit of their experience, rather than their conviction. Of course if you ask about their beliefs they'll probably tell you. 'Absolute truth' is a fiction in my experience. And yes - totally agree that the important thing is at the end how it sounds. But also important to note that how something sounds is entirely a subjective experience. Depending on whether you buy into the marketing fluff that cCS puts out or not, it will colour how you hear the product. A person who believes 'cables make no difference' will find that, in his experience, cables don't make a difference. A person who is more open minded will be more likely to hear a difference. So to me its undeniable that different people have different hearing experiences.

For instance if you take the time to listen it is clearly evident that the dCS Upsamplers samplerate conversion or any other samplerate conversion can provide better sound.

This sounds like you're making a prediction - in science its called a hypothesis. 'Do this experiment, and I predict you'll get that result'. If you want people to try the experiment for themselves, then they'll be more encouraged to try if you also give them a reason why they'll be likely to get the result you predict. For myself I predict I won't get the result you're saying, reason being I've tried this on a different DAC and got the opposite result. Did you yourself try the experiment and that's why you're forming the hypothesis for others?

If this might be because of noiseshaping, because they move noise out of the audible frequency area or some other explenation, I can't say. However if the audible result is what matters, there can be no doubt about the positive effecti of samplerate conversion even if it doesn't full in gaps in the recording which is not there.

Well my working hypothesis is such effects are probably placebo. Perhaps you came to the experiment with the belief that 'faster sample rates are better' and the result you got confirmed that belief. In science the effect is well known, documented. Its called 'confirmation bias'. Bear in mind I'm speculating here, just as you speculated about possible reasons when you didn't know. I don't know either, just adding to your list of possibilities.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No worries Lloyd, its a blast.

The two that offer amazing bang-for-the-buck are TDA1387 and TDA1545A. I'm currently building up arrays (around 20 chips) using TDA1387 and the first prototype sounds very satiisfying indeed. I don't only like these chips for their sound, they are also very low power (less than 30mW). Their only drawback is they're only 16bits but this is no kind of drawback on redbook material just means to extend my designs to hires I might have to find another chip.

There are very few DACs out in the wild that use these chips. The only one that I know of is rather DIY oriented, not a completed box : http://tech.juaneda.com/en/projects/jundacfive.html. Of course I also like TDA1541A and this is available in several guises as completed units, I just prefer not to design with this chip because its too expensive and power hungry to build into arrays, which are my passion. Besides many gifted designers have embraced the TDA1541A - for myself I like to beat my own path rather than follow the crowd ;)

Thanks! I will come back to re-read this thread without doubt! Lot to read and learn. Thank you!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'll have a go at generalizing. D-S ( or S-D) don't suffer from glitching and they have very good low level linearity. This means excellent 'bloom' - the soundstage can be very expansive. But they lack what I call 'jump factor' - the dynamic contrasts in the music are reduced, they sound like music has been compressed. DSD (being an implementation of S-D) exhibits this effect - when I listen to DSD recordings of piano, the 'bite' of the piano (piano is after all a percussion instrument) is diminished, the startle of a pianist's sforzando is somehow papered over. To my ears DSD turns music into almost 'muzak' for elevators, it becomes too inoffensive, mellow.

S-D has another effect which is on the tonality of instruments. I first noticed this on massed brass - Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony has long been a favourite of mine, the old Mravinsky with Leningrad Phil is a magical recording. But the blast of brass which opens this has its tonality corrupted on a PCM1792 (S-D DAC) when compared side by side with a NOS DAC.

R2Rs though have different artifacts - their glitchiness means they tend to 'grey out' tonality when used in OS - the faster the clock rate the faster the glitches come. They can also suffer from poorer low-level linearity which means soundstages might not be so deep. To fix up multibit DACs with more oversampling than 2X is just asking for trouble from glitches. NOS though while it has tremendous tonal purity due to lowest glitch density has other drawbacks (freq response droop, imaging above 20kHz) which mean I've abandoned it in my designs. For me, 2X OS is the sweetspot.

Very interesting!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Mostly engineers will offer the benefit of their experience, rather than their conviction. Of course if you ask about their beliefs they'll probably tell you. 'Absolute truth' is a fiction in my experience. And yes - totally agree that the important thing is at the end how it sounds. But also important to note that how something sounds is entirely a subjective experience. Depending on whether you buy into the marketing fluff that cCS puts out or not, it will colour how you hear the product. A person who believes 'cables make no difference' will find that, in his experience, cables don't make a difference. A person who is more open minded will be more likely to hear a difference. So to me its undeniable that different people have different hearing experiences.

This sounds like you're making a prediction - in science its called a hypothesis. 'Do this experiment, and I predict you'll get that result'. If you want people to try the experiment for themselves, then they'll be more encouraged to try if you also give them a reason why they'll be likely to get the result you predict. For myself I predict I won't get the result you're saying, reason being I've tried this on a different DAC and got the opposite result. Did you yourself try the experiment and that's why you're forming the hypothesis for others?

Well my working hypothesis is such effects are probably placebo. Perhaps you came to the experiment with the belief that 'faster sample rates are better' and the result you got confirmed that belief. In science the effect is well known, documented. Its called 'confirmation bias'. Bear in mind I'm speculating here, just as you speculated about possible reasons when you didn't know. I don't know either, just adding to your list of possibilities.

First of all I think I should put my previous post into context. I am an engineer myself. Although not in this field. My comment on conviction and beleif was based on the knowledge that engineers, like myself, have a tendency to put too much into measurments of single parameters when the whole truth is limitlessly complex. We have no measurement today showing how a stereo component will sound. So listening is still the best way to evalute how a stereo components technology will have an impact on the aural senses.

What you are saying about bias is obviously true, but how a person relates to the marketing can be something very different than just black or white. It doesn't have to be beleif or disbeleif. After a long life with a lot of components with both just and bullshit marketing many audiophiles have learned that they need to listen to how the component sounds before they make up their minds if they believe the marketing or not. I believe engineers often put their theoretical knowledge as a filter in front of themselves instead of having an open mind in matters as complex as this. I am not saying that you do any of this, but claiming that sample-rate-conversion and external clocks shouldn't make a soundwise improvement without something else being wrong seems to me to fit into this category. There are too may obeservations showing the contrary.

My comment on the dCS Upsamplers samplerate conversion or any other samplerate conversion is based on experience. I have yet to meet anyone who I have listened with to an upsampled sound who hasn't heard the sonic benefit unless they have not strongly believed it not to work prior to listening.

I have a friend who works in the psycology field and he has tought me that in the audiophile community we use the term placebo much too widely. Placebo is pr. definition when a prior expectation tricks the mind to experience what you thought you would experience. In the audiophile community the placebo argument is also used (especially by engineers) when the aural experience doesn't correlate with measurements or can't be measured even if the experience is nowhere near the prior expectation. The first time I heard an external clock connected into a dCS combination where we had played without the clock first, I was (as engineers tend to be) negative. I didn't believe that this could improve the sound since the clock inside the dCS Elgar DAC (used in that experiment) should be good enough. I was however very impressed with how focus, timing and especially imaging improved when the clock was connected. Later I have participated in a demonstration where Esoteric demonstrated their entire range of external clocks and it was also clearly evident that the parameters I have mentioned improved as the clock accuracy improved.

Thanks,
Roysen

Last edited:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Is it possible dCS and Esoteric consciously implement low quality clocks internally with the sole purpose of selling external clocks that improve the sound?

Would this logic qualify as paranoid dope smoking or is there even a slight possibility that this may be the case?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Is it possible dCS and Esoteric consciously implement low quality clocks internally with the sole purpose of selling external clocks that improve the sound?

Would this logic qualify as paranoid dope smoking or is there even a slight possibility that this may be the case?

Good question.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
First of all I think I should put my previous post into context. I am an engineer myself. Although not in this field. My comment on conviction and beleif was based on the knowledge that engineers, like myself, have a tendency to put too much into measurments of single parameters when the whole truth is limitlessly complex. We have no measurement today showing how a stereo component will sound. So listening is still the best way to evalute how a stereo components technology will have an impact on the aural senses.

No disagreement there whatsoever. Many engineers do trust measurements rather than their ears - I just happen not to be one of those. I used to be though. Now I work to devise measurements which confirm what my ears tell me rather than deny what my ears tell me because my measurements indicate otherwise.

What you are saying about bias is obviously true, but how a person relates to the marketing can be something very different than just black or white. It doesn't have to be beleif or disbeleif. After a long life with a lot of components with both just and bullshit marketing many audiophiles have learned that they need to listen to how the component sounds before they make up their minds if they believe the marketing or not.

I don't take the view that beliefs aren't in shades of grey, so thanks for allowing me to clarify this. Beliefs aren't black or white, they come in various strengths. But let's see - not everyone tends to listen to every component, there's going to be some filtering going on based on marketing materials as to whether to spend the time seeking out an audition of a component. So beliefs are definitely in play prior to auditions, not just inside the listening room. We all tend to have reviewers we trust more than other reviewers, associates whose views we give more weight to the opinions of than others.

I believe engineers often put their theoretical knowledge as a filter in front of themselves instead of having an open mind in matters as complex as this. I am not saying that you do any of this, but claiming that sample-rate-conversion and external clocks shouldn't make a soundwise improvement without something else being wrong seems to me to fit into this category. There are too may obeservations showing the contrary.

You have misunderstood me. I did not claim they shouldn't make an improvement to the sound. I said (I believe) I know of no way they can make any improvement to the signal - that is add any information. I admit placebo effects so yes people can and do hear improvements. If you do know a way that upsampling improves the signal then let us all know please.

My comment on the dCS Upsamplers samplerate conversion or any other samplerate conversion is based on experience. I have yet to meet anyone who I have listened with to an upsampled sound who hasn't heard the sonic benefit unless they have not strongly believed it not to work prior to listening.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a friend who works in the psycology field and he has tought me that in audiophile community we use the term placebo much too widely.

Did he teach you based on his own authority or did he cite research into how audiophiles typically use the term? If the latter, do you have links?

Place is pr. definition when a prior expectation tricks the mind to experience what you thought you would experience.

This understanding (is it from a dictionary?) is flawed. Placebo is not 'a trick'. And no it doesn't have to rely on conscious thinking either. Placebo is much more subtle in operation than this simplistic 'definition'.

In the audiophile community the placebo argument is also used (especially by engineers) when the aural experience doesn't correlate or can't be measured even if the experience is nowhere near the prior expectation. The first time I heard an external clock connected into a dCS combination where we had played without the clock first, I was (as engineers tend to be) negative. I didn't believe that this could improve the sound since the clock inside the dCS Elgar DAC (used in that experiment) should be good enough. I was however very impressed with how focus, timing and especially imaging improved when the clock was connected.

I don't deny your experience, but now we're talking about an older DAC design and Bruce mentioned very recently that he had heard an older dCS unit improve with an external clock. So given corroboration I wouldn't necessarily place placebo into first position as my hypothesis. I'd say that there's something amiss with the local clock. But this is a tentative conclusion - if there's something I'm missing about clocks, I've not yet seen the explanation for this in dCS marketing materials. If they had a secret sauce, wouldn't they at least give us a taste of it?

So if anyone out there reading this knows of any mechanism whereby an external clock improves the jitter performance of a local clock, I'm all ears.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

Yes its certainly possible. Did you see my earlier notion of the 'clock nobbling circuit' ?

It would mean there was extreme cynicism operative in the two companies involved if true, yes. But given the corrupt age we currently seem to be living in, its certainly not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Opus111,

Kudos to you for working on technology to measure what we can't measure today.

Your second paragraph is also very true. Not everyone listens to all components and marketing will have an effect on our expectations for the products. However I still think this doesn't have to (although it probably most usually will) create specific expectations for the products sound outside interest and a desire to experience how it actually sounds.

I can't claim that I do know why upsampling works. I do however trust my ears and shared experiences with others to a degree where I am without a dobut that it does add positive attributes to or detract negative attributes from the sound. My personal theory is that upsampling moves noise out of the audible frequency area.

The psycologist I am talking about is a moderator on a similar forum as this but in my native language. His comments on how audiophiles refer to placebo is based on what he reads on that forum. I can quote from his post on that forum if you give me some time to find it, but it is not in English.

The placebo definition is in my words and not his, but they are a basic translation of what he has written on that forum. What he also wrote is that there can certainly be other psycological effects in play that makes us hear things which are not "real" but if they are not in correlation to the expectation you had prior to listening it is not pr. defintion placebo and the research on placebo does not have to apply. Neither he nor I have mentioned that the expectations have to be conscious thinking.

Thanks,
Roysen

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Kudos to you for working on technology to measure what we can't measure today.

Thanks - 'technology' sounds a bit more, kinda 'concrete' than what I'm actually doing. Would like to have reported some results but its a slow process....

I can't claim that I do know why upsampling works. I do however trust my ears and shared experiences with others to a degree where I am without a dobut that it does add positive attributes to or detract negative attributes from the sound. My personal theory is that upsampling moves noise out of the audible frequency area.

May I pick your brain on this a little? Were you listening to upsampled redbook source material on a dCS DAC? If so doesn't the DAC (even without the upsampler) already use upsampling (or perhaps oversampling) so it can feed the signal to its 5bit DAC? Otherwise 5bits would sound pretty dreadful I suspect. Are you able to outline what role the separate upsampler box plays for us coz I'm unclear why its necessary when the output device is already a heavily OS DAC.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks - 'technology' sounds a bit more, kinda 'concrete' than what I'm actually doing. Would like to have reported some results but its a slow process....

May I pick your brain on this a little? Were you listening to upsampled redbook source material on a dCS DAC? If so doesn't the DAC (even without the upsampler) already use upsampling (or perhaps oversampling) so it can feed the signal to its 5bit DAC? Otherwise 5bits would sound pretty dreadful I suspect. Are you able to outline what role the separate upsampler box plays for us coz I'm unclear why its necessary when the output device is already a heavily OS DAC.

Concerning dCS the upsampling (not sure about the Vivaldi) it used to be performed in the Transport and not the DAC. However the separate Upsampler provides more upsampling options and filters than on the transport which only upsamples to maximum available resolution. My experience where I have evaluated upsampling has not only been on dCS equipment but also on the Burmester 069 where you can toggle between no upsampling, upsampling to 24/96 and upsampling to 24/192 and on the Wadia 861SE I owned years ago where you could switch between three different oversampling (upsampling) algorithms. My experience is that it is not always upsampling to the highest resolution which sounds best. It depends on the recording. Yes, on these digital playback components we listened to upsampled redbook.

Thanks,
Roysen

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Yes, on these digital playback components we listened to upsampled redbook.

If the DAC is multibit and accepts different input rates then its frequency response might well change as the over(up) sampling ratio is changed.

Taking a simple DAC like the Metrum, if you feed in 44k1 then the HF falls off to -3.2dB at 20kHz. Upsample to 88k2 and the droop at 20kHz is under 1dB. The flatter frequency response sounds clearer, no doubt about that. So its possible you're listening to other effects not merely upsampling.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
If the DAC is multibit and accepts different input rates then its frequency response might well change as the over(up) sampling ratio is changed.

Taking a simple DAC like the Metrum, if you feed in 44k1 then the HF falls off to -3.2dB at 20kHz. Upsample to 88k2 and the droop at 20kHz is under 1dB. The flatter frequency response sounds clearer, no doubt about that. So its possible you're listening to other effects not merely upsampling.

That could very well explain the differences I hear with dCS upsampling.

Thanks,
Roysen

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
If it does then dCS is doing something very strange internal to their DAC because they definitely have already built in a lot of oversampling. Otherwise they could not use 5bit DACs.

As I wrote earlier, I am not sure about the Vivaldi. However back in the days when dCS had the Verdi Transport, Purcell Upsampler, Verona Clock and Elgar Plus DAC the user-selectable upsampling was performed in the Verdi transport or the Purcell Upsampler. If additional upsampling was performed in the Elgar Plus DAC I have no idea.

Thanks,
Roysen

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
As I wrote earlier, I am not sure about the Vivaldi. However back in the days when dCS had the Verdi Transport, Purcell Upsampler, Verona Clock and Elgar Plus DAC the user-selectable upsampling was performed in the Verdi transport or the Purcell Upsampler. If additional upsampling was performed in the Elgar Plus DAC I have no idea.

Thanks,
Roysen

Vivaldi Transport features a Dual AES output that supports dCS-encrypted DSD (1 bit data at the rate of 2.822MS/s) to a dCS DAC from CD or SACD.
Vivaldi Transport also offers the option of upsampling CD data to DXD (24 bit data at the rate of 352.8kS/s) and transmitting this data over the same Dual AES interface.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Yes, this is true Wizard but the product sheet doesn't say if the Vivaldi DAC performs any upsampling of its own.

Thanks,
Roysen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing