DCS Vivaldi

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think it was Map 1. No idea which filters has been used. That was a very brief listening, so I didn't have the time to explore the alt settings.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
EML recti was weak with less bass and bloat as compared tohe special KR recti. Bill and I sold ours off immediately after listening to the special KR recti. Which is now what most like Christoph etc are using.

The 101D replicas are not good enough at this level. They are dynamic and detailed, but they lack tone, are lean, and are relatively flat planed as compared to the better valves.

I would suggest borrowing KR 242 (which, if it works with the gain, will jump performance up multi times), KR PX25, and the special Lampi EML 45s from Lukasz for a trial. Of the latter two, one or the other works better in most systems

I will need to try those.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Interesting. And that configuration is likely the most challenging for the Vivaldi. I'd try it with Dual AES from Aurender and the Vivaldi DAC I know needs to on for about 2-3 days to warm up properly and sound best...I'm guessing these two items may improve the "meat on the bones" aspect...

Regardless of DAC, AES/EBU is likely to give better results than USB of you have the choice, and proper warm-up for a few days is always recommended. So yes, I agree.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Regardless of DAC, AES/EBU is likely to give better results than USB of you have the choice (...)

The only reason I can think for such is that DAC designers and manufacturers are not able to deal with noise created by asynchronous transmission of data, because they cannot guess the timing and exact hardware characteristics of the sending machine.

The complete Vivaldi solution manages to solve them in most part by separating the units - the external clock synchronizes all units and the DAC communicates with other units via dual link AES/EBU channels. People who do not own the separate external clock can use the DAC clock output to synchronize the other units.

I own and have used the Berkeley Alpha USB- AES/EBU with some success - unfortunately it does not have a clock input to accept the DAC clock.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Our settings are identical.....Interested to hear what the NUC/ROCK does sonically, if anything.......

here are the components used to build the NUC.

Intel BOXNUC7I7BNH NUC Kit
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Laptop Memory

my dealer installed the ROCK software and transferred over my library and Core registration. he put in my system today, i hope to listen tonight. the NUC is plugged into the same switch as the Vivaldi Upsampler with the NAS is my equipment closet close to the router. Rossini is in different room but connected to same network.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know just yet. I need to listen more to draw any solid conclusions. I have certainly liked what I've heard - certainly enough to warrant further investigation. I've been in this hobby long enough to learn that it is not the things that you like at first listen are essential for long term music satisfaction. I may miss the uncanny palpability and midrange weight that GG provides longterm.

I need to get my Lampi up to spec before any further comparos. I'm leaving for 2 weeks in August for an Elbrus expedition (the highest peak in Europe), so will probably drop my GG to ?ukasz for updates then.

Look forward to hearing the conclusion of this interesting 'competition'!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm running the WE101D replicas and the Emission Labs recti.

I had both DACs connected directly to the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo - which is my main amp now. Vivaldi was set to 0.6V output, so most listening was done with 0dB to -6dB digital attenuation.

Are you going to drive D'Agostino Momentum Stereo directly? IMHO we need the preamplifier to get the best of it. I really like the Momentum Stereo a lot, but dislike the price of the Momentum preamplfier ...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Are you going to drive D'Agostino Momentum Stereo directly? IMHO we need the preamplifier to get the best of it. I really like the Momentum Stereo a lot, but dislike the price of the Momentum preamplfier ...

The Golden Gate has a built in analog preamp, so I have no desire to insert a second one inline.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Golden Gate has a built in analog preamp, so I have no desire to insert a second one inline.

Do you have any information on the topology of the output stage of the GG? What is exactly the model you own?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'd investigate an ARC REF 6 to pair with the D'Agostino (+ Vivaldi).
I was glad when I read this report, because it validated the D'Agostino + ARC combo.

FWIW about 15 years ago I drove my Krell 750 mono amps with an ARC Ref 3 Series lll and the sound was terrific IMHO. That was back in the days when Dan was the man

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco (& Adam)

I'd investigate an ARC REF 6 to pair with the D'Agostino (+ Vivaldi).
I was glad when I read this report, because it validated the D'Agostino + ARC combo.

LA Audio Show 2017: D’Agostino muscle, Audio Research glow, YG finesse – an intoxicating mix

I see no reason the same combo wouldn't work great on Adam's Q3, or your XLF!

cheers,
alex

I have listened many times to the Momentum's driven by ARC REF5, even my REF40 in my system and the REF10. Good sound, no doubt. But when the Momentum preamplifier was inserted in the system, the coherence was such that electronics are not SS or tubes anymore, they just disappear. I noticed a similar effect when I had the ARC REF40/REF750 in my system. An hybrid preamplfier / amplifier combo can sound great, but most of the time have a clear and noticeable sound signature.

I remember Michael Fremer reported something similar in his Momentum's review.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have listened many times to the Momentum's driven by ARC REF5, even my REF40 in my system and the REF10. Good sound, no doubt. But when the Momentum preamplifier was inserted in the system, the coherence was such that electronics are not SS or tubes anymore, they just disappear. I noticed a similar effect when I had the ARC REF40/REF750 in my system. An hybrid preamplfier / amplifier combo can sound great, but most of the time have a clear and noticeable sound signature.

I remember Michael Fremer reported something similar in his Momentum's review.

The best Alexandria X2S2 I heard was with Momentum pre, power, and vivaldi stack, Jazzhead's friend in Mumbai. Despite having similar power Spectral 400 and VTL s450 could not do that to the XLF.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Do you have any information on the topology of the output stage of the GG? What is exactly the model you own?

I have the Golden Gate balanced.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
FWIW about 15 years ago I drove my Krell 750 mono amps with an ARC Ref 3 Series lll and the sound was terrific IMHO. That was back in the days when Dan was the man

Careful Steve, Kingsrule will be along soon to remind you that this is a Vivaldi thread! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Careful Steve, Kingsrule will be along soon to remind you that this is a Vivaldi thread! :)

Yes, we should refer we have listened to the "Four Seasons" when posting OT in this thread ... ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Worth a read:

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-759&lang=en

"The Network Bridge outperforms Rossini and by a large margin."

"The Stream 820 board was chosen because it offers wireless Wi-Fi and cable network connections. This is a newer model than the one used for Rossini – the latter feature Stream 800."

My VUP has the stream800 board in it. According the the version menu in the iPad app. I wonder if the VUP is about to go through another upgrade soon? I just asked my dealer...he happens to be visiting dCS in the UK in 2-3 weeks...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
It would be great if reviewer would physically look at both boards to see if they are interchangeable....

Looking at both boards on Stream Unlimited site, they look very similar....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Worth a read:

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-759&lang=en

"The Network Bridge outperforms Rossini and by a large margin."

"The Stream 820 board was chosen because it offers wireless Wi-Fi and cable network connections. This is a newer model than the one used for Rossini – the latter feature Stream 800."

My VUP has the stream800 board in it. According the the version menu in the iPad app. I wonder if the VUP is about to go through another upgrade soon? I just asked my dealer...he happens to be visiting dCS in the UK in 2-3 weeks...

How can he compare the Network Bridge to the Rossini? The Network Bridge does not have analog outputs and the Rossini is a DAC ...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
How can he compare the Network Bridge to the Rossini? The Network Bridge does not have analog outputs and the Rossini is a DAC ...

It would be great if reviewer would physically look at both boards to see if they are interchangeable....

Looking at both boards on Stream Unlimited site, they look very similar....

I think he's plugging the network board via AES/EBU into the Rossini's inputs. Vs using the Rossini's ethernet input.

My dealer has a note into dCS for more info. And to see if a VUP update is on the way soon if this reviewers claims bear out to be true...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing