Adventures in Music Player Software for the Mac

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For Mac fans out there interested in computer audio, I have some observations about three music player packages. When I first started in computer audio I read Art Dudley's column recommending Decibel which I purchased and was quite happy until I tried Pure Music with the Berkeley Alpha setup which bypasses all the Core Audio paths in OSX and plays back in integer mode. That took my playback to a whole new level.

This weekend I met Jim Fairhead of Tenor and we got to talking about all sorts of things including computer audio. I mentioned how great Pure Music sounded and he said he was a huge Pure Music fan but when he discovered Bitperfect he figured he would try it and he thought it sounded even better than Pure Music. And it was only a $10 app too!

So I had been auditioning Pure Music and the trial period ended today so I bought Bitperfect yesterday. So far it sounds as good as Pure Music.

I will keep trying more albums but I am impressed so far and it is by far the cheapest option I know of.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am still using Puremusic, I do like its interaction with iTunes as GUI, does Bitperfect works the same way (as a layer-up app for iTunes)?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Please keep in mind this is MY personal choice, i am not ready for computer music on my MAIN system BUT in my computer room for BACKGROUND music it's fine, what i do is import all my cd,s in ITUNES lossless and for NOW i'm very happy.

Keep It Simple 500 X 375.jpg

Chambre Ordinateur 09.jpg

Chambre Ordinateur 13.jpg

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Bitperfect is a great deal.

Another one worth checking out is Audirvana Plus. It originally started as an open-souce initiative, but now costs about $50. I use it almost exclusively in iTunes-integrated mode (i.e., works the same way as BitPerfect, with iTunes as a front, so you can use Remote.app, etc, to control it). At the moment, I think it is the only way to get integer mode on 10.8.2 (direct mode, avaliable as a beta-test release). It also works like a stand-alone player, similar to Decibel. I've never tried the expensive options (Pure music, Amarra), so I can't compare, but these are both great options.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing