Power cords - do they really make a difference, other than potentially reduce noise?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
How in the world is an amp and wire going to fix a 15dB peak in your bass?? First of all, that is a huge peak. Second of all, the only way I could see an amp and wire 'fixing" that would be to buy an amp that has no bottom end. As for wire, geez, I guess you could string up your connection from amp to speakers with 22 ga wire. Crazy man. Crazy.

An amp and/or wire is going to do zero for such a room induced issue and when I told the dealer that he started screaming at me, called me all kinds of names and walked out of my home!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hope he walked out before you gave him the check :) That would have been priceless! ;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That makes sense too.

Either way I still don't see power cords as being as critical in terms of sound quality as ICs and SCs both conceptually or observationally.

I for one believe power cords make one heck of a difference .The placement on the source componets
for me is paramount to dynamics and a listening experience that puts the "Live" performance in the room.
Of course mileage varies as to your wallet size;)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh I do too. Like I said though, relative to every other main component, lowest on the totem pole. Mine looks something like this

Room+Speakers
Amps for speakers chosen
Quality of source material
Source
Preamplification
Speaker Cables
Interconnects
Vibration Control
Power Conditioning
Power Cords

That's just my mileage though given my wallet size :) Somehow I think that even if I had Bill Gates wallet my totem pole would stay the same ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! You got me beck!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
But, seriously folks. I'm going to throw out a story just for the heck of it. Mark Levinson apparently has a program where their employees are allowed to purchase gear at deep discounts. Some of them buy the gear, hang onto it for awhile, then sell it on the used market and make a few bucks on the side. I happened to buy my amps from one of the Mark Levinson engineers who designed them.

I asked him whether they designed the amps with detachable power cords so buyers could replace the stock power cords with upgraded ones. The guy answered that they only design the amps with detachable power cords because it makes the amps easier to pack and that because of the amp's design, there was absolutely no advantage to be gained from any other power cord.

When I asked him about the testimonials I'd read on-line where posters talked about upgrading the power cord and getting better sound, he found it kind of amusing and then he asked an interesting question. He said, "if you don't think our engineers know enough to spec the correct power cord, why in the world would you buy an amplifier from us?"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
But, seriously folks. I'm going to throw out a story just for the heck of it. Mark Levinson apparently has a program where their employees are allowed to purchase gear at deep discounts. Some of them buy the gear, hang onto it for awhile, then sell it on the used market and make a few bucks on the side. I happened to buy my amps from one of the Mark Levinson engineers who designed them.

I asked him whether they designed the amps with detachable power cords so buyers could replace the stock power cords with upgraded ones. The guy answered that they only design the amps with detachable power cords because it makes the amps easier to pack and that because of the amp's design, there was absolutely no advantage to be gained from any other power cord.

When I asked him about the testimonials I'd read on-line where posters talked about upgrading the power cord and getting better sound, he found it kind of amusing and then he asked an interesting question. He said, "if you don't think our engineers know enough to spec the correct power cord, why in the world would you buy an amplifier from us?"

Oh so true. If I recall the bigger 300 series amps had captive power cords to make sure the consumer wouldn't use an under spec'd cord like I did with my less powerful 431.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Whatever your thoughts are on power cords (or speaker wire or interconnects) the real problem (for me) is the priority audiophiles apply when purchasing them. They spend $1000's and $1000's on wire and have yet to do the first thing for speaker/listener placement, room treatment, etc. Right after I purchased my Watt Puppies, the dealer told me I needed new wire and a new amp to fix a 15 db peak in my bass. And I know some audiophiles will do the same thing.

Thank you Audioguy... + 1

Frantz

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, but you also have to remember that Bryston was a big opponent of any kind of line conditioners and anything power related.... until THEY started making money with their Torus line.

Regards,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Well if their engineers are so all knowing, why the hell did they put the IEC socket underneath and in the middle of the unit? :) There was nothing more inconvenient than this arrangement!

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
This topic comes up freqently on many of the audio forums and always the same arguments are presented. No, there are no scientific facts to support a swap in power cables make a difference in sound quality. I believe the same fact holds true for ICs and SCs. This hobby is not about scientific facts. It is all about your ears, your wallet and how owning your system makes you feel about it. I personally attended a G2G where we did nothing but blind test different power cords. The results were interesting and yes there was a definite impact on the sound from the different cables.

My recommendation is to build your system and then experiement with what I call the audio jewelry - the cables. Start with the Speaker Cables, then the ICs and finally the PCs. Others may disagree but like someone wrote above you are better off to purchase better components than investing in higher dollar cables.

Ken

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well if their engineers are so all knowing, why the hell did they put the IEC socket underneath and in the middle of the unit? :) There was nothing more inconvenient than this arrangement!
I think you know the answer and at any rate may be kidding :). But just in case not, they put it there since it shortened the path to the power transformer.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think you know the answer and at any rate may be kidding :). But just in case not, they put it there since it shortened the path to the power transformer.

Oh of course but 1) they couldn't have designed it to be more ergonomic? and 2 ) I think they did it so people couldn't play with the AC cord since it was a PITA to get a 90 degree plug or put the unit on tiptoes since the IC cable would pull the unit off the cones ;)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Well if their engineers are so all knowing.... We don't profess to be all knowing...just pretty damned intelligent:cool:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This topic comes up freqently on many of the audio forums and always the same arguments are presented. No, there are no scientific facts to support a swap in power cables make a difference in sound quality. I believe the same fact holds true for ICs and SCs.

Ken

Actually, I believe there must be a scientific explanation, as cables are *at least* RLC networks, so by definition they can theoretically make some sort of difference anywhere they are placed - question is, is it material, and for which applications. In addition, there is also transmission line theory on this stuff that's entirely scientific, and certainly cable shielding is a scientifically derived approach. The reason I focused on power cables when I started the thread is because PCs can lower noise and measured to do so, and that's a scientific attribute I think, even if that means just fending off RMI/RFI. Again, the question remains - is this material difference... I think it probably varies from cable to cable. However this was not my question, so let me rephrase: since science establishes that at least they can lower noise, I am simply unable to see how some of the after-market cables can offer even that with the construction approaches they take, like the Shunyata. The Helix construction is claimed (by the patent) to lower induction-based resistance and Shunyata also claim it can improve "impulse current efficiency" (I take the latter to mean they can push more current in a shorter amount of time)... fine, let's assume there is less resistance and it can push more amps in a shorter amount of time... but why does this make a difference when hundreds of miles of wiring leading up to the power outlet probably exhibit much worse electrical characteristics, and does any of this have to do with lower noise at all???

So I hope I am missing something and am looking for technical enlightenment...

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The agrument, in my humble opinion, falls apart when you consider that an exotic PC represents the last few feet in a very long feed from your utility. A feed that is NOT shielded and is subjected to all sorts of harmonics and other nasties. But hell, if there were no self deception, this hobby it would be no fun at all.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The agrument, in my humble opinion, falls apart when you consider that an exotic PC represents the last few feet in a very long feed from your utility. A feed that is NOT shielded and is subjected to all sorts of harmonics and other nasties. But hell, if there were no self deception, this hobby it would be no fun at all.

is it possible that the PC adds some sort of filters to clean up that last several feet of feed?? Just asking as I don't know

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing