Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I remember when those tests were run. I was still working for a high-end store back then, and we repeated and confirmed the issue with several turntables, and then tested to find the optimum spot for the turntable. I played aroiund a lot using pink noise, test tones, and a "silent" LP as well as having the cartridge sitting on the LP (not turning) and with the arm sitting on its rest. It also allowed us to find the resonance modes of the TT's suspension, for better or worse...

IIRC, between the two speakers (this was all stereo) and in the same plane or on the front wall between was best, along the side walls was generally worst.

Nice find!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Very nice article, Gregadd.

I think I became more aware of this recently with my SME 30 turntable. I have always been in awe of its precision, so I always used the screw down clamp as directed. I have been a bit terrified of it, though, because it requires some force and distorts the record to clamp the record to the machined cork surface. Without the clamp, the shaping of the cork surface does not easily conform to an unclamped record.

I know from experience with implants that any metal over time can fatigue, even with small regular forces, so I have been thinking that someday the turntable spindle would just snap off. Instead, recently the threads on the puck stripped, making it passive but also rendering the clamping system kaput, because the cork surface is carved to accommodate the precision clamping stresses and shape.

I thought about getting a new puck, but instead, tried mat materials of felt and leather.

The standard clamping system always left a bit of rattle in the vinyl, which I think could make it vulnerable to airborne vibrations, as well as acoustic feedback from the needle itself.

The mats have actually improved the performance of the turntable to my ear by better damping of the vinyl surface.

SME's have been accused of having a "digital" sound, because of a bit of upper midrange emphasis. The mats cleared this up, fuller midrange, better defined bass, smoother highs and upper midrange, without detracting at all from the sonic performance otherwise. I surmise that the table is excellent for ground and mechanical vibrations, but that the original clamping system made the vinyl itself more vulnerable to airborne vibrations and some vinyl rattle.

Never thought that a few dollars worth of material could improve an expensive turntable like that, so I am keeping the mat system using the puck as a passive weight. I also don't have to worry about the stressful forces on the spindle/record/puck engendered by the screw clamp system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What about CD Players?

CD2500-1.jpg

The Oracle turntable was always famous for its beautiful suspension system. Is the CD Player immune form airborne feedback?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
OracleCD2500-6.jpg

It does appear to deal with mechanical feedback.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 4599

The Oracle turntable was always famous for its beautiful suspension system. Is the CD Player immune form airborne feedback?

I think the MBL description of the MBL 1621 Ref Trasport specifically mentions that they have an enormously heavy, sealed lid on the top exactly for this reason.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
aHR0cDovL21ibC5mc20ubHYvc2NyZWVuX2h0bWwucGhwVk9QUk9Td2lkdGg9ODAwJmhlaWdodD0mbmFtZT0yMXByb2R1Y3Qy.jpg

Very nice!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have done recordings off my tt's with and without my speakers playing multiple times (admittedly only digitally).

i (or others) cannot hear a difference in the recordings. which does not prove there is no feedback (acoustical or mechanical), only that whatever feedback there may be is of not much consequence. my system is remarkably quiet so it's not a matter of feedback being lost in a high noise floor.

many 15-30 (40?) year old measurments relating to tt's mean little today (when viewing todays SOTA tt's). every part of turntables have been improved as has racks and isolation devices. stylus's track better in the grooves. arms are more precise and stable. speakers now have less distortion in the bass.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike I hear you. It's been awhile but I could actually feel the vibrations on my skin when my system was playing. I think that something as sensitive as a stylus would be afected. I never did any terst but was thinking about building a dust cover to absorb airborne feedback. Add tot hat many turntables pay no discernable attention at all to suspensions or vibration control.
Then came digital...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My turntable and other front end equipment is at the end of a deep alcove that is not within the space of the listening area, and the horns are very directional (although the woofers are not). Like Carl, i use a clamp that came with my table. I'm considering the Stillpoints LP1 which offers some resonance control, in addition to acting like a conventional record weight. Although this wouldn't necessarily address the 'waves' made by the loudspeaker output, it is supposed to reduce resonance at the record platter interface. Has anybody tried one of these?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing