USB Cable Shootout

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Today I took your advise and did duo-shielding with UPOCC silver and oh my god, I am loving it

Did you also try separating the Data lines from the power lines?

Whitigir

Oct 12, 2016
Yes, I did have data lines it own braided shielding , and then the cables braided shielding on the outside

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Yes, I did have data lines it own braided shielding , and then the cables braided shielding on the outside

Yep, very good. Mine have double shielding for each pair.

Other things you could try:

- a small choke on the power pair

- disconnecting the GND line

- (some can try disconnecting the +5V line - my DAC doesn't get recognised if do this although it's also battery-powered).

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In my experience USB cables do matter. I've tried a Belkin, the Pangea cable and a Wireworld Starlight - all sound different. Then I tried a friend's AQ Diamond, significantly better, bought it and stuck with it.

My experiences reflect this as well. The Diamond is superb. The Shunyata Venom is great for the money if you don't want to go crazy on price.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Over the last couple of days, I worked a little on my DIY USB Cable: I knew that cutting the GND line gave great sound but iFi doesn't recommend doing this with a switch as it puts the DAC in an unplanned state which could be damaging in the long run.

For a while I was mulling how to also operate a VBus disconnection without the DAC going unrecognised and didn't think it was going to be easy.

Before trying that, I implemented a filter for the power lines yesterday. While it does work at removing glare, it somehow also rolls off the highs so I wasn't too happy with it as we lose soundstage, depth and a good portion of attacks, hence clarity and timbre and the sense of dynamism.

Today I decided to try having a separate +5V sent to the DAC. I just an iPhone charger for this temporary test, and hence the computer's VBus and GND are totally disconnected from the DAC.

It works great, fantastic SQ, the highs are back but without the high 'glare' apparent with a normal USB cable, and additionally we have more micro-details and everything the filter wasn't providing as described above.

Now, a fellow CA member tells me that he has the commercial AQVox solution for his DAC which is the iDSD Micro and that for this type of setup to work the shield must be connected.

I hadn't thought of that but in a future experiment I will certainly perform some modifications to the 'shielding'.

It is interesting that the Apple iPhone charger, which it also a SMPS, is actually still better than when the iMac is directly connected to the DAC. This just shows the tremendous quantity of noise coming over the power lines from the computer, wreaking havoc at the DAC, probably also on the Data lines and affecting SQ.

Apart from the 'shielding' modification, another step is now to complete an excellent very low-noise Linear Regulated 5V PSU to replace that SMPS charger unit.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi,

i use the Aqvox regulated Low Noise USB Powersupply (Ripple 0,1µv) in Combination
with IFI Purifier on my Soekris Dac R2R 1101.
It brings more Details in the Music,better darker Backround and the Bass has more Precision.
The best 200€ i spend in Digital really.....
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power.html
http://soekris.dk/dac1101.html

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Friends,

Just got in a batch of USB cables that I will listen to and share impressions. Here is what is on tap.

**Audioquest Diamond

**Wireworld Platinum Starlight

**Wireworld Starlight

**Chord USB SilverPlus

I will be using the Mac Mini server with Decibel over USB cable into Benchmark DAC1 Pre into ARC preamp into Forte amp into Magnepan 1.7s. Still working on getting the VT-100 to Minnesota for the tube upgrade.

I will be using my own hirez recordings of classical ensembles and some HDTracks downloads. I will also use some redbook files as well as the 24 bit/44 Beatles USB files.

I'm not sure what I will find but I did notice a significant bump when I went from Belkin Gold to the AQ Diamond. The rest of the cables are on loan from a friend.

Please consider adding the BMC PureUSB1 cable; almost noone talks about it here in the US but I've used one for quite some time and its power-corrected approach does
wonders, at least in my setup, for quality of USB long-runs (mine is 5-meters)....great-sounding cable when all is said and done at a reasonable price.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My experiences reflect this as well. The Diamond is superb. The Shunyata Venom is great for the money if you don't want to go crazy on price.

All of us who had the Diamond and compared it to Totaldac USB (which is not expensive used, same price if not less), thought the latter significantly better. I first did the compare at Elberoth's then at mine, and sold my Diamond. There is much more body and midbass on Totaldac USB, and better tone, liquidity.

Audiophile Bill and Mike Lavigne both had the Totaldac USB and now have found Sablon's USB which is unpowered, as the Lampi does not need power from the server. If your dac does not, then the unpowered one, by reports of all those who have converted to it, should sound better.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
All of us who had the Diamond and compared it to Totaldac USB (which is not expensive used, same price if not less), thought the latter significantly better. I first did the compare at Elberoth's then at mine, and sold my Diamond. There is much more body and midbass on Totaldac USB, and better tone, liquidity.

Audiophile Bill and Mike Lavigne both had the Totaldac USB and now have found Sablon's USB which is unpowered, as the Lampi does not need power from the server. If your dac does not, then the unpowered one, by reports of all those who have converted to it, should sound better.

I have, by long time, Totaldac USB filter/cable with great results.
Currently I'm testing the Curious USB cable which seems amazing after first preliminary auditions, but it needs almost 50 hours of break-in period.
Power is critical for computer based systems, so I've modded my Mac-Mini using the Uptone audio kit and the superb JS-2 Linear Power Supply (used also as power supply for the external Thunderbolt HD).

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
i use the Aqvox regulated Low Noise USB Powersupply (Ripple 0,1µv) in Combination
with IFI Purifier on my Soekris Dac R2R 1101.
It brings more Details in the Music,better darker Backround and the Bass has more Precision.
The best 200€ i spend in Digital really...

Hey Stephan, my Open Baffle friend :D, how are you?

Yes, I was actually on AQVox's English website a couple of days ago before actually working on my DIY solution because I wanted to check whether their solution works for my iFi iDSD Nano, and it does.

Some more info: apparently, Larry, my fellow CA member, was speaking about the shield for his Uptone Audio LPS-1 UltraCap PSU and his DAC, not the USB cable shield.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Please consider adding the BMC PureUSB1 cable; almost noone talks about it here in the US but I've used one for quite some time and its power-corrected approach does
wonders, at least in my setup, for quality of USB long-runs (mine is 5-meters)....great-sounding cable when all is said and done at a reasonable price.

Frankly, if at all possible, I'd look at making that USB distance much smaller first before considering which cables to get.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi YashN,

Hey Stephan, my Open Baffle friend :D, how are you?

Yes, I was actually on AQVox's English website a couple of days ago before actually working on my DIY solution because I wanted to check whether their solution works for my iFi iDSD Nano, and it does.

Some more info: apparently, Larry, my fellow CA member, was speaking about the shield for his Uptone Audio LPS-1 UltraCap PSU and his DAC, not the USB cable shield.

really good i had tested three Ways of Power Option for USB

1. Elijah Audio Battery Power http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html
2. IFI Usb 3.0 with Gemini Cables
3. Aqvox USB Power

The Elijah Conzept plays not so transparent darker and had not the Precision like IFI or Aqvox.
My Favorit is Aqvox has an Short Layout nothing in the Way,because the IFI Supply had a better
filtering of Main power the Sound of both were great.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
really good i had tested three Ways of Power Option for USB

1. Elijah Audio Battery Power http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html
2. IFI Usb 3.0 with Gemini Cables
3. Aqvox USB Power

The Elijah Conzept plays not so transparent darker and had not the Precision like IFI or Aqvox.
My Favorit is Aqvox has an Short Layout nothing in the Way,because the IFI Supply had a better
filtering of Main power the Sound of both were great.

That's cool, Stephan.

For me: yesterday, I thought of terminating the computer power lines on which my filter circuit was lying open.

Everything went louder and clearer with this as well, and still no more glare, but a rather relaxed presentation, highs are clear, dynamics seem good, it's quite an addictive sound, I like it.

Couple of other tests remaining are some variations of shielding and maybe total battery power or else just the Linear Regulated PSU.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I have not tried the TotalDAC USB. Is it somewhat reasonable in price?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not tried the TotalDAC USB. Is it somewhat reasonable in price?

I got mine used for 200 quid or so, don't remember. I sold off my Diamond for the same amount.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I recently sold my unpowered Jcat Reference usb cable and installed a prototyp of Polish DIY cable called Salamandra.
If someone tried Entreq Atlantis then he knows how organic, full body and resolved sound it gives.
Salamandra is on its level but for less than half of the price.

As far as AQ Diamond is concerned I compared it to Entreq Konstiantin with Minimus in my system a few years ago and kept Entreq.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I just finished another DIY USB cable test rig with a few circuits and three switches, one to turn on my Filter circuit, an two for each jack-shield termination.

This morning I tested without the GND line, had some great SQ but the operation is flaky, especially when changing track and the tracks formats are different.

So I concluded I'd have to wire that dreaded computer GND to the DAC GND again, which I did. This time, however, I have a little isolation circuit on it. I believe this is best routed to a Star-Ground point. I had one in my AC Filter box which is currently in the workshop, so I'll have to wait for that.

The Jack-shield connections are OFF both sides, I am injecting alternate power with the iPhone charger (SMPS too...) and the impression was of more power/volume, much more clarity, micro-details, and still no glare.

I hesitated a bit before re-connecting my computer-side filtering circuit, but now this is added too and I get more of the same but to a lesser extent than the previous step compared to using a default USB cable.

This time, handshake and communications still occur through the GND line.

It's rather amazing the SQ I get with this, it's literally as if I had a new, isolated DAC.

The GND isolation isn't perfect and not even perfectly connected, but I estimate I am getting about 75-85% of the benefits of a full disconnection. I haven't tried re-toggling of a full disconnection of GND, I suppose I can get more SQ out of it, but it may be a hassle again with tracks when their formats are different.

This is rather astounding, especially the amount of losses we expose ourselves to with a DAC directly connected to the computer power line noises.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
After I re-engineered the USB connection (the data lines cable with its special shielding configuration and the computer power, the Ground isolation, the separate external power for the DAC), I built a prototype Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power supply to replace the temporary iPhone charger powering the DAC.

It was hard to imagine what further enhancements in SQ could be, but we were Wowed immediately. Here is a write-up I just posted over at CA, it's quite long, so I am quoting myself here:

Father Christmas was up early even though sleep-deprived from the previous nights excess and working in his Electronics Lab:

Result: a new Low-Noise, Linear Regulated Power Supply Prototype based on some clever thinking by @JohnSwenson (his work on the Squeezebox Touch) and others, to replace the criminal use of a SMPS as a temporary external power.

LRP_Proto_1_zpsv7fyfvlv.jpg

The new Low-Noise LRP proto with the re-engineered USB connection.

LRP_Proto_2_zpsulfsmjw8.jpg

The new Low-Noise LRP proto showing the little regulation board.

We were wowed on first listen, although the SMPS iPhone charger with the new USB connection already sounded great.

Listened to several tracks and heard a lot of new micro-detail - Streisand's tongue lifting from her mouth before she sings on Memory. You can bet I never, ever noticed that before - it's not something you hear or pay attention to. Elvis taking his breath before intoning the first verses of 'Fever'.

More striking that everything was the immense sense of space - the soundstage is wider and deeper.

On Billy Idol's Save Me Now, the detail and solidity in the two intertwined bass sequence is astounding of clarity.

Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance shows more details of the bass guitarist's excellent and groovy performance.

Among this and greater details for small performance and vocal vibrato details and also what sounds like an extended region from the mid-range to the bass, there is what feels like a deeper background throughout.

Compared to the SMPS, there is a smooth, velvety quality to the overall SQ, just like the aftertaste of sipping a Jack Daniel's properly.

A couple of things that could need some improvement in my implementation is overall rapidity of transients and perhaps lower distortion there. Perhaps the quality will change with time too, so I am going to let this run for a while until further modifications, tests or enhancements.

My girlfriend never heard U2 like she did tonight.

I never heard some of my favourite Depeche Mode tracks like I did tonight as well.

RIP George, just as we had never heard your multiple instances of talents on display on one of the best songs of all time like we did tonight after the sad news - Careless Whisper...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Hate to sound like a shill but just emailed my thoughts, copied verbatim here, to Mark (Sablon Audio) after installing his latest version of the data only USB cable;
"
8 hours burn in,
1st track and I'm at a loss for words,
I don't know how to describe it,
But I'll try,
Micro dynamics through the roof,
Resolution beyond anything I've heard,
Most natural sounding vocals I've EVER heard,
2nd track,
F...k me I'm welling up just trying to describe it.
You said 50%, more like 75%!!!!!!!!

Pure f...king genius
Thank you Mark"

If you're using a DAC that can accommodate a data only cable then I urge you to try this one.

I'm gobsmacked!

Blue58

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
It's a must for sure.

I have improved the layout of my external power injection Linear Regulated Power Supply and installed the remote sensing for the return line as well.

I also obtained a cheap portable battery/charger pack used for cellular phones, but I can use it to power the DAC - it sounds great!

Thought I'd be able to connect the LRP to it to 'trickle charge' it but it won't work powering the load (my DAC) when charging though so this currently doesn't work.

Full battery power to the DAC sounds great though, perhaps a little less presence and less heft in the bass regions that one configuration of the LRP, but overall, very clean, very fast.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing