Should you have to pay to audition speakers

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I was speaking to a dealer last week that carries a speaker I am Interested in. He told me he could set up a private audition at his store for me but he would require a 250.00 deposit. He said If I purchased the speakers he would apply the 250.00 towards the purchase price. I have been around audio since the late 70's and this is the first time I have been asked to pay for an audition.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I could certainly see this for an in-home demo, but certainly not at the store. I'd say move on....

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Interesting idea but auditioning-setup-and customer time is what the dealer business model is based upon. I'm with Bruce on this one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was speaking to a dealer last week that carries a speaker I am Interested in. He told me he could set up a private audition at his store for me but he would require a 250.00 deposit. He said If I purchased the speakers he would apply the 250.00 towards the purchase price. I have been around audio since the late 70's and this is the first time I have been asked to pay for an audition.

Right there, that dealer insulted you! Tell him to get a life, and walk away, and never come back!

:b

* Dealers, or Privates; I'm with Steve.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Steve,

Let's say (for fun sake) you had the opportunity to have a pair of Magico 7s or Gen 1s and full Soulution kit installed in your home for two weeks, moving the Wilsons, and everything else that involves all provided by the dealer... it could be worth the $250 for your knowledge base. It vests you in to seriously give them a shake. You can say to yourself... I spent the $250 and now I want to know.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Sorry Peter. We'll have to agree to disagree

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Peter also. I auditioned a couple of VERY large speakers here before I got mine and I offered to pay for gas and set-up. I felt so guilty I almost bought them!

When I ask to audition expensive equipment here that has no local dealer network, I almost always pay for shipping to and fro.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I'd gladly pay to have the speakers or gear of my choice available for a 2 week in home demo. That would be a no-brainer. Spending 250 just to audition something I may not like? Wouldn't even consider it. I have heard to many things in audio that I didn't prefer. I could see myself spending thousands without ever purchasing a thing if that were the case. Most all of the gear in my rig was purchased by listening prior to purchase. The only things I can think of that I purchased without listening to it first would be the rack that the gear sits on, isolation footers, plinths underneath the speakers and the sub stands.

I can see a private audition at a house that would require a refundable deposit but to have to pay to audition? Not no but hell no. Not once, not ever.

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If the dealer can pull of charging for in-store demos, I might even consider getting into the business. But I'm with those who would never pay for an in store demo but MAYBE for an in-home demo of something the size of Wilsons. You sure would eliminate the tire-kickers !

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'd pay a deposit for an in-home audition. But I'd expect it to be fully refunded if I decided against the speakers.

Tim

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I would never pay for an in-store demo; for in-home, it's reasonable to pay for optionally hauling stuff in and out, and even that would have to be at a reasonable hourly rate. With my dealer, I shiver at the hourly rate they want to charge, so I don't audition, say, speakers at home - this simply procrastinates my next purchase and keeps money in my account for much longer, which is fine.

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Never paid for a demo not in-home or everywhere else.
Just think of the cost of buying audio gear these days, crazy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would pay for an in-home audition. At least for transport and set up. The time that unit is in my home, is time denied other potential buyers for audition too. In store? Kiss my shiny.....

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would never pay for auditioning, for the contrary - how many times a great service plays on behalf of a given dealer to close a deal - in my space I would consider the question both rude and unnecesary.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I wouldn't pay for an in-store demo, but I also understand the dealer's point. There are way too many audiophiles who take up hours and hours of a dealer's time, and then go out and buy it second hand, or call around dealers or off the Internet and save a few bucks. There are even some manufacturers/distributors who will ship right into an established dealer's territory.

The problem with the US is that sales tax needs to be collected on an in-state sale, but not out of state. So, any dealer in town who gives you a demo is automatically 10% more expensive.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
So, if you don't buy these speakers you are out of $250?

Find another dealer or call the speaker manufacturer and see if they agree with this idea.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I wasn't advocating it, but i certainly understand it: how many dealers have to spend time on folks who are never going to buy from them (seeking out a better deal, buying used, on Audiogon, let alone the perpetual 'shopper' who will never buy). I would assume most dealers pre-qualify their clients if they can- I know I won't waste the time of the few I buy from by asking to have the thing loaned to me for trial in my system unless I am fully prepared to buy it.
You'd be surprised (maybe not) at the number of time wasters, tire kickers and inveterate 'shoppers' there are for all things, from exotic cars to expensive houses. It's almost like a sport. I'm not suggesting that the OP is any of those, but would reckon a guess that he's never done business with that dealer before? That could be part of the answer- not a good answer, to be sure. If the OP had any sort of relationship with the dealer beforehand, it would be an outrage.
On the other hand, the idea of a charge for an in-home trial, particularly if it involves something like a large speaker and the time and effort involved in transport and set-up, is a little different than an in-store demo. Granted, the dealer would make his profit back on the sale without any sort of pre-paid demo fee. And, if it was a question of a deposit to cover the value of the goods, that would be far in excess of $250. Again, i think it comes down to the dealer properly qualifying the buyer. Back in the day when we had a place that was considerably larger than the one we live in now, we had a rug dealer who was more than happy to leave hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of antique rugs on 'trial' at our house for months, in the expectation that we would buy one. And we did. That of course, was a different economy and he had a pretty good sense we weren't con artists.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing