Being Installed on Friday!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Myles- you are in a building right? So, what kind of improvement do you expect, other than a better connection at the wall socket? (I assume you are still using that Silver Circle SE?)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles- you are in a building right? So, what kind of improvement do you expect, other than a better connection at the wall socket? (I assume you are still using that Silver Circle SE?)

Good question :)

I'm currently using some of Jim Weill's older and cryogenically treated Sound Application AC receptacles (they're currently going on 8 years). Given their age, I would also expect there's some pitting and arcing on the contacts. At the same time, I'm also debating installing some one off AC receptacles that Jim Weill sold me a while back along with the Furutechs for comparison.

My experience is that everything makes a difference. To wit, when David Stanard recently came out with the Vesuvius Mk 2 PC, the SC 5se sounded even better.

Connector contact is an interesting question especially when we begin to look at the contact's surface in finer detail/magnification. The Furutech (Oyaide and also a few others) use special polishing techniques to ensure better contact; also the type of metal (Gold, Rhodium, etc) can have an effect on the sound. I eschew the use of ferromagnetic materials in the path so the absence of nickel plated contacts is also a must. As far as the carbon nanoparticles making a difference, who knows?

So in the end, am hoping for a much tighter connection and better contact at the receptacle and AC plug level and with that a drop in the less noise floor. We'll see. It's an experiment that will take a couple of weeks to decide whether it as successful (I find it takes three weeks or so for the system to settle in following electrical rewiring or changing AC receptacles). OMMV.

Reactions: ZionPOWER

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Mike L had recommended the same receptacles to me for my Texas room, although i'm not sure about the gold part. I agree about small things making differences. Did you ever see those crazy ones Roy Gregory had in his room? ( I just saw pics, I was never there but they had pretty fancy physical isolation as part of the socket and looked very cool- there is some site that has detailed pics of his room).
We had a great contractor who did electrical work for us when we lived in Brooklyn. I was even thinking about hiring him to come to Westchester, when we lived there because the quality of contractors generally was so bad up in the burbs. About a week after thinking about it, I saw (in the NY Post of course) that he got indicted for (and eventually was convicted of) murder. He was a very good contractor though, I just didn't realize how comprehensive his services were. :)

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mike L had recommended the same receptacles to me for my Texas room, although i'm not sure about the gold part. I agree about small things making differences. Did you ever see those crazy ones Roy Gregory had in his room? ( I just saw pics, I was never there but they had pretty fancy physical isolation as part of the socket and looked very cool- there is some site that has detailed pics of his room).
We had a great contractor who did electrical work for us when we lived in Brooklyn. I was even thinking about hiring him to come to Westchester, when we lived there because the quality of contractors generally was so bad up in the burbs. About a week after thinking about it, I saw (in the NY Post of course) that he got indicted for (and eventually was convicted of) murder. He was a very good contractor though, I just didn't realize how comprehensive his services were. :)

Good thing he didn't murder your electrical work :) Couldn't you get him out on work release? :)

Never saw the ones that Roy Gregory installed. Sounds like some of the receptacle boxes from Furutech or Oyaide?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Good thing he didn't murder your electrical work :) Couldn't you get him out on work release? :)

Never saw the ones that Roy Gregory installed. Sounds like some of the receptacle boxes from Furutech or Oyaide?
Myles: here's the link to the article about Roy's room. Scroll down to the second image. There is a brief description of the outlets, but going to the named supplier's site, I couldn't find much more.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/roys_room.htm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Furutech AC receptacles installed and system is up and running.

Good thing I made them check their work because they wired one set of receptacles on one dedicated line incorrectly. Of course they didn't have a polarity tester and I had to lend them mine! So now to play music through the system, let the speakers recharge and break in the receptacles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! look forward to reading your observations! Enjoy!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats! look forward to reading your observations! Enjoy!

Observation number one: no drooping, heavy power cords. These suckers don't want to let go!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I hope you like them and feel it was worth the money you spent.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-I hope you like them and feel it was worth the money you spent.

Well it might not be the first thing I'd do in a system. But I feel a lot of noise comes from that AC receptacle/plug connection. When cleaning the connections in my system, the biggest improvement comes from cleaning the AC plugs. So in a well tuned system, the improvements are just all the more obvious. In lesser systems, there's much more to think about.

Reactions: ZionPOWER

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For me, the best improvement was using a chunk of copper bus bar and star grounding components to it and tying the bus bar back to the center screw on the outlet where my preamp is plugged in. When I had the dedicated 20A circuit installed for the Krell, I did buy an outlet from Albert Porter to use. It wasn't anywhere near as expensive as your outlets though.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Be careful Myles. My Dh Labs PC cracked the receptacle on my ML CLS.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Be careful Myles. My Dh Labs PC cracked the receptacle on my ML CLS.

Interesting, I never found a PC that overall improved the sound of the MLs :( But that was true until recently for most PCs with my audio equipment too. I've been tempted though to try the new PC that ML uses with the CLX on the Summits.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Actually I was a firm believer that PC were a ripoff. The PC was a replacement. Imagine my surprise.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Myles- did you also install the companion isolation frame or whatever Furutech calls it? And btw, I earlier posted a link in this thread to those fancy outlets that Roy Gregory had installed in his room. Take a look- apparently, like the Furutech 'frame', the concept is to physically isolate the receptacle.
I didn't appreciate that you had dedicated lines in your apartment building. How did you manage that?

Btselect

Jul 4, 2012
Furutech AC receptacles installed and system is up and running.

Good thing I made them check their work because they wired one set of receptacles on one dedicated line incorrectly. Of course they didn't have a polarity tester and I had to lend them mine! So now to play music through the system, let the speakers recharge and break in the receptacles.

Do you know what type of wire is used for your dedicated circuits and how they wired it to your receptacles? This makes all the difference in the world, and is one of the most critical steps in the installation, it also determines which brand of receptacle is better than the other.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing