Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supporting "Genesis" Loudspeakers

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Ulises, sorry for the late response. I missed this when I was traveling.

When you turn the rear tweeters up and the total high frequency goes down, I would look elsewhere for the problem. Turning the rear tweeters down would raise the high frequency impedance. If you are using a tube amp that can't drive both the rear and front tweeters in parallel, turning the rear tweeters all the way up might have resulted in the loss of high frequency signal you first mentioned.

.s. I would love to come visit next time I am in San Antonio.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the advice, let me ask you another question: would this happen even if I'm not pushing the amplifier? I notice this issue even if I'm listening at low levels (not louder than a normal conversation)

I'll connect them to a more powerful tube amp, to see if that's the problem. Right now they're being driven by a cool Raven Audio integrated with 50 wpc.

Name:  Raven_SHADOW_AMPLIFIER_01.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  19.0 KB

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Yes it would. It's not a matter of how hard you are driving the amplifier. It's a factor of output impedance of the amplifier.

Genesis Genre 1's in need of some love...

Good evening... first post here! I have a much loved pair of Genesis Genre 1's, getting on in years, purchased from Audio Advisor somewhere in 1994. They have been great, although per the advice of one of the Genesis tech's, I sent the midranges and woofers out to be reformed due to dried up glue. Nothing lasts forever, right? That was somewhere around 2005, and they have been pretty darn good. However (there's always a but, right?) they have sounded a bit off recently, a symptom that can best be described as "nasally". It seems to have been getting worse, although all of my friends think I am nuts. Tonight, I arrived home from work, very excited to toss in a new CD from Amazon, and the system sounds REALLY off... the right channel has no highs, and the midrange seems a bit muffled. I suspect the tweeter is cooked, and perhaps being part of the same circuit as the midrange crossover, has affected the output of the midrange. Where would you begin? I suppose I could swap the tweeters, and see if the problem swaps from right to left, or if something in the crossover is cooked. I am sad, kind of like when you favorite old shoes give up the ghost. I honestly think the loudspeakers are worth being repaired, any thoughts?

Mark, it does sound like the tweeter is cooked. That could account for it having no highs and the midrange muffled. Your instincts are correct, swap the tweeters and see if the problem swaps. Easier is to remover the right tweeter and measure with a digital multimeter. It should measure about 4 ohms. If it's an open circuit, then you've got a dead tweeter.

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Ahh, the Genre 1 - lovely speakers. Very musical. I will check service stock to see if we still have any of those old spec tweeters. I don't remember if they are single or double magnet in the Genre 1 though. Let me know when you pull it out?
    Carolyn "The sister" Koh
    COO, Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
    Genesis Advanced Technologies
    Absolute Fidelity Cables

Gary, I have a pair of Genesis 350's, with the outboard amplifier. I am wondering if the midrange panels (the whole panel is removable) are able to be rebuilt?

Hi tbird,
    If you have the original G350 - with the 3 tweeters and the Carver ribbon, the midrange as far as I know cannot be rebuilt. I keep hearing rumours of someone doing that as a service, but so far no one has come back to report success. Unfortunately, with the 3-tweeter models, I also don't have a drop-in crossover to update it with the new components from the G2Jr (unlike with the G-II or the G350SE).

I know that there are some who have repaired it using the standard B&G midrange they buy off the Internet. But neither that midrange nor the special Genesis version are ideal. I'm sorry, but for the G350, I don't have a good solution if you blow the midrange.

Hi Gary,

I would need some assistance with the servicing of my Servo 12 amplifier from 1991 (back-attached version with transformer in a separate box) and I was hoping to be at the right place for this after searching for Genesis tech for a while now on the internet. Looks like I already found the issue (mute supply line) on the pre-amp PCB but I'd like clarify a few things to finish this nicely. First of all, doing this without a service manual/schematic is not easy and it would be invaluable if you could provide a copy to me for a better understanding of the circuit and for future use. I'm particulary interested in the following things:
    - carrying out proper adjustment of trimpots (e.g. P4 trimpot)
    - checking the accelerometer of the woofer driver. It's unclear to me if the accelerometer is simply a secondary coil and thus a conduction/resistance can be measured over it or the accelerometer is implemented using a different solution (not a coil). in other words, is it possible the check the integrity of the accelerometer using a meter?
    - how the amplifier would work in case of the accelerometer gets broken in the driver? Does it continue to play/work without servo functionalities the same way or is it not going to play sound at all? This could also answer my previous question regards to accelerometer in the woofer.

Any information you might have on these would be very helpful.

Thanks and have a nice holiday season,
    Bence

Quote Originally Posted by bence View Post
    Hi Gary,

I would need some assistance with the servicing of my Servo 12 amplifier from 1991 (back-attached version with transformer in a separate box) and I was hoping to be at the right place for this after searching for Genesis tech for a while now on the internet. Looks like I already found the issue (mute supply line) on the pre-amp PCB but I'd like clarify a few things to finish this nicely. First of all, doing this without a service manual/schematic is not easy and it would be invaluable if you could provide a copy to me for a better understanding of the circuit and for future use.
    Hi Bence, unfortunately most of the schematics of the oldest models were lost by the bank during the time that the previous company was closed. This included the schematics of the Servo 12 amplifier, and we are unable to help as we do not have a copy of the schematics either.

I'm particulary interested in the following things:
    - carrying out proper adjustment of trimpots (e.g. P4 trimpot)
    I've never ever seen a Servo 12 amp, so I can't tell what trimpot does what. However, the old Genesis designs include a compression circuit and there are usually two trimpots: one adjusts sensitivity and the second adjusts the amount of compression.

- checking the accelerometer of the woofer driver. It's unclear to me if the accelerometer is simply a secondary coil and thus a conduction/resistance can be measured over it or the accelerometer is implemented using a different solution (not a coil). in other words, is it possible the check the integrity of the accelerometer using a meter?
    The Genesis servo does not use a secondary coil, it uses an accelerometer. Except for physical damage (the accelerometer falling off was the most common mode of failure) we have not had an accelerometer fail. However, they do get less sensitive over time. Only way to test is to mount it on a test jig and measure the feedback.

- how the amplifier would work in case of the accelerometer gets broken in the driver? Does it continue to play/work without servo functionalities the same way or is it not going to play sound at all? This could also answer my previous question regards to accelerometer in the woofer.
    If it has fallen off, the result is disastrous and is instantly recognizable. In order to determine if the feedback circuit is working, measure the frequency response from 22Hz to 90Hz - it should be flat to within +/- 0.5dB. If the feedback circuit is not working it could be up to +/- 18dB.

Any information you might have on these would be very helpful.

Thanks and have a nice holiday season,
    Bence
    Hope that helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast