FM Acoustics XS Speakers

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I know there is a series 1 and series 2 of at least one model of these speakers. I almost always listen to them after lunch whenever I am at the Sound Chamber. The series 1, we fondly called "old man speakers" because they are so mild and relaxed sounding that they always put me to sleep. An all FMA system is the best bedroom system for me. The series 2 is much livelier but not as much as the Magico Mini 2. I swap out the FMA speakers for the Magico after my naps to enjoy the music in a conscious mode.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
so Sam, are you telling us an "all" FMA system is fatiguing

I interpreted his comments to mean laid-back presentation, perhaps un-dynamic, soft treble, mellow; but not fatiguing (which to me means I want to turn the damn thing off).

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Not on the FMA website, but when you are a FMA freak you know about their speakers.

Do you know why they don´t do any marketing on their website regarding their loudspeakers? What is the price range and are they (as their electronics) seriously backlogged to?

Sorry for all the questions fellow scandinavian but you seem to know a lot about FMA! :b

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Steve,

On your post #3, let me clarify.

The all FMA system with the series 1 speakers FMA speakers are very relaxing, very melodic, very soothing. I don't fall into a nap when I listen to it before lunch, but after lunch, when my tummy is full, it is a different story, I just fall into its "lullaby". These speakers remind me of the old Celestion SL 600 but without the darkish color nor the shrinking of the soundstage and performers' sizes nor the limited frequency bandwith. This is a most wonderful system when I use a 47 lab flatfish transport and the top 47 lab dac as the front end. If I could afford it will definitely be installed in my bedroom. The proprietor of the store told me that he passed my description to Manny Huber and Manny's reply was, "But I am an old man!".

The FMA series 2 speakers are much livelier than the series 1. I speculate that this is as dynamic as the designer is comfortable with given his reaction on my comment on his series 1 speakers.

Sam

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi ack,

You understand me quite well here but instead of turning off the system like you would, I allowed the system knock me out.

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
XS speakers are only offered for those who has FMA pre and amps, they can't be driven by other amps. Prices from CHF 75000 to 325000.
Expect to wait up to 1 year on a pair of XS speakers.

Ok, thanks! This kind of "non marketing" that they are doing is rather cool. It makes the customers feel different in a good way I think.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
XS speakers are only offered for those who owns FMA pre and amps, they can't be driven by other amps. Prices from CHF 75000 to 325000.
Expect to wait up to 1 year on a pair of XS speakers.

And why would that be?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wizard,

have you heard these? If so, what do you think?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I would love to hear some FM gear and speakers. Looking through all these threads, makes me realize all the great gear that's out there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Wizard. Thanks! So this owner looks like someone who could have bought any digital source he wanted...and he went with MSB? Is that correct? Looks like a UMT transport...i thought i could read the blu-ray logo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome back Wiz! You think you could make your old posts reappear too? :D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Are there any images of the speakers with the grills off ? I have never seen those. I wonder what drive units they use.

Seems that some of them (XS-3B) also use an ambience tweeter.

IMG_9113.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing