EAT Tubes vs. NOS Tubes

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I will be re-tubing within the next few weeks. My CJ Tea1 phono preamp uses two 6922 and one 12ax7. I know the Mullard and Teles are rated highly. Has anyone used the EAT or Gold Lion tubes 6922 and one 12ax7?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Zermatt,

I too have CJ and inquired about EAT...not used their 6922 tube. Here is what i have been told/my own experience.

1. The number of super-positive EAT 6922 reviews/comments is high. Consistently high. ONly comment would be whether there is 'better value for money'...the flip side i think is that EAT 6922s are probably way more consistent than trying to find a NOS dealer you trust who gets you good quiet tubes.
2. I own and use 3 EAT Tube dampers...they work better than i could have imagined...and i bought 1 and then went back and bought 2 more...the 2 being used for my CJ GAT. Took a pair of Mullards that were [surprisingly] a bit stiff sounding, and managed to get me to keep them in for months and truly enjoy them until i found replacement Amperex 6922 PQ White Labels.
3. I bought my replacements from Brent Jessee...whom i have used for years and years and bought over a dozen nice tubes. He said they are good tubes, but knows the source of their tubes and can get them for a lot less...so if you wish to purchase the same tube that EAT uses...and then just buy the EAT tube damper that comes with it (for 19 bucks each)...you should be in good shape.

That's my notes...good luck. i doubt you go wrong with EAT...but i will say, Brent does have some great, great tubes!

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
Lloyd;

Thanks for your input. I thinking I will may purchase the Mullards and the EAT may be good as a back up. But that Amperex tube maybe the one. My phone stage is very close to the GAT circuit. Thanks again. I let you know when I make the plunge.

jk

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
JK

Good luck. i would most strongly suggest you email Brent Jessee: brentjes@audiotubes.com or +1-847-496-4546 (8a-4pm Central time). Good man and really knows his tubes...he is very good at discussing your options and describing the various tubes. If anything arrives noisy or something wrong, he looks after you. That is really important to me. Pls give my regards...and probably many people in on this Forum. Absolutely 0 affiliation...i simply like telling fellow members about a great experience with a dealer.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I bought my replacements from Brent Jessee...whom i have used for years and years and bought over a dozen nice tubes. He said they are good tubes, but knows the source of their tubes and can get them for a lot less...so if you wish to purchase the same tube that EAT uses...and then just buy the EAT tube damper that comes with it (for 19 bucks each)...you should be in good shape.

According to Brent, EAT 6922 are made in JJ factory. Unfortunately this is not true. JJ does not make ECC88's for EAT. ECC88 Cool Valves are NOS and are currently not available. I got these infos from Jozefina Lichtenegger, CEO of EAT.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Zermatt,

I too have CJ and inquired about EAT...not used their 6922 tube. Here is what i have been told/my own experience.

1. The number of super-positive EAT 6922 reviews/comments is high. Consistently high. ONly comment would be whether there is 'better value for money'...the flip side i think is that EAT 6922s are probably way more consistent than trying to find a NOS dealer you trust who gets you good quiet tubes.
2. I own and use 3 EAT Tube dampers...they work better than i could have imagined...and i bought 1 and then went back and bought 2 more...the 2 being used for my CJ GAT. Took a pair of Mullards that were [surprisingly] a bit stiff sounding, and managed to get me to keep them in for months and truly enjoy them until i found replacement Amperex 6922 PQ White Labels.
3. I bought my replacements from Brent Jessee...whom i have used for years and years and bought over a dozen nice tubes. He said they are good tubes, but knows the source of their tubes and can get them for a lot less...so if you wish to purchase the same tube that EAT uses...and then just buy the EAT tube damper that comes with it (for 19 bucks each)...you should be in good shape.

That's my notes...good luck. i doubt you go wrong with EAT...but i will say, Brent does have some great, great tubes!

Interesting on these tube dampers...I think I am going to try em...will let you know...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
According to Brent, EAT 6922 are made in JJ factory. Unfortunately this is not true. JJ does not make ECC88's for EAT. ECC88 Cool Valves are NOS and are currently not available. I got these infos from Jozefina Lichtenegger, CEO of EAT.

good to know...please let me know how it goes with your tube from Brent which you ordered.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting on these tube dampers...I think I am going to try em...will let you know...

Would be very interested in what you think. For my CJ GAT and Zanden DAC, they are 'permanent parts' of the units now.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Has anyone tried the EAT KT88 Diamond tubes. I have read som glorious reviews of these tubes but I have also heard rumours about components being damaged by the unreliability of these tubes and warranty being withdrawn from manufacturers if these tubes are used. These last issues I can not confirm and might be just malicous rumours spread by competitors.

Secondly I would really like to know how the EAT KT88 Diamond compares to the Psvane KT88-TII and even the NOS Genalex Gold Lion KT88 and the NOS GEC KT88 soundwise.

BTW, I am looking for one tube of the NOS Genalex Gold Lion KT88. I have searched everywhere but can not find one available. Does anyone know where one might be available. It is just one tube.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Good news.

Just received an e-mail from Jozefina.

The EAT ECC 88 is on its way to the US and should be in stock at Music Direct, etc. in the near future. This tube had been on backorder for numerous months.

GG

PS: Will be swapping out my CJET5 stock tube and replacing with the EAT within a couple of weeks. Will provide impressions once this happens.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good news.

Just received an e-mail from Jozefina.

The EAT ECC 88 is on its way to the US and should be in stock at Music Direct, etc. in the near future. This tube had been on backorder for numerous months.

GG

PS: Will be swapping out my CJET5 stock tube and replacing with the EAT within a couple of weeks. Will provide impressions once this happens.

great! good luck...and look forward to your comments.

airwise

Nov 2, 2012
Some time ago I purchased a set of EAT KT88's for a McIntosh MC2000.

One of them was dead out of the box. I was not offered a refund and it took nearly four months to get replacements - only doing so when confronting this woman at a public hifi show in front of a number of potential clients.

Not impressed.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
good to know...please let me know how it goes with your tube from Brent which you ordered.
I got a matched pair of JJ 6922 from Brent a month ago and put them into my cj GAT. I was NOT impressed. Yes, this tube is VERY quiet, detailed, airy and bright, but also thin and the bass lacks weight and energy. I put back the original Electro Harmonix and it sounded more robust in the low end, instruments got back their bodies and more balanced presentation was restored. So, JJ not good for CJ...

I'm waiting for NOS Amperex and EAT tubes and will compare...:)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA

One of them was dead out of the box. I was not offered a refund and it took nearly four months to get replacements - only doing so when confronting this woman at a public hifi show in front of a number of potential clients.

Excellent action airwise.
Good for you.
Mail order abuse is rampant.

zz.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Not impressed.

Airwise,

I was under the impression that all EAT tubes come with a 6 month warranty.

Also, assuming you received a replacement and installed, what were your impressions?

GG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got a matched pair of JJ 6922 from Brent a month ago and put them into my cj GAT. I was NOT impressed. Yes, this tube is VERY quiet, detailed, airy and bright, but also thin and the bass lacks weight and energy. I put back the original Electro Harmonix and it sounded more robust in the low end, instruments got back their bodies and more balanced presentation was restored. So, JJ not good for CJ...

I'm waiting for NOS Amperex and EAT tubes and will compare...:)

Great stuff...when do you think the EAT tubes will arrive? Most interested to find out how they are! Particularly also how quiet they are.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great stuff...when do you think the EAT tubes will arrive? Most interested to find out how they are! Particularly also how quiet they are.

I know the Ecc83 wasn't quiet enough for the "sensitive" position in the cj phono section. But few tubes are then too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know the Ecc83 wasn't quiet enough for the "sensitive" position in the cj phono section. But few tubes are then too.

interesting...which tube ended up working well for you in the CJ phono section?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
interesting...which tube ended up working well for you in the CJ phono section?

It had to be selected by cj. In the end, it was the new Tungsol ECC83 but I don't think they sound as good as the previous Ei ECC83. But they're history :( And vary wildly in quality.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It had to be selected by cj. In the end, it was the new Tungsol ECC83 but I don't think they sound as good as the previous Ei ECC83. But they're history :( And vary wildly in quality.

Got it. Thanks. sounds like my search for super-quiet 6922s will probably include EAT, Valvos and maybe some quieter Amperexes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing