Totaldac Reference D1

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thank you Elberoth!
A packaging in made custom for the d1 DAC now, see the photo. The first box includes the DAC and power supply (in the small white box). It is then covered by a lot of bubble and placed in a bigger box for shipping.

box.jpg

About the small clic at sampling frequency change, this has been improved or often disappeared. Your DAC was shipped in January I think.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, I do not have preamp anymore. I run all of my DACs direct.

Good to know. You're not just comparing DACs then, but volume controls as well.

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thank you Elberoth!
Your DAC was shipped in January I think.

I do not have it that long :) That was early april. Good to know that things have progressed since though.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
PS. I had rewritten my initial post. I hope it reads better now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
PS. I had rewritten my initial post. I hope it reads better now.

Great read. Thanks for taking the time to 'review' a very unusual shoot out. The takeaway (to me) seems to be that in the end many of your colleagues preferred the tonality over the detail as a method of approaching 'real live music'...fair take away? the MSB and Scarlatti had more detail to far more detail, but the audiophiles present generally to mostly preferred the Total DAC for its tonality, purity...if I got it wrong, please correct. Thanks again.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Elberoth,
Do you have any thoughts on the FIR frequency compensation filter? Did you prefer listening with it on or off?

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I am VERY tempted by this DAC, with the idea to complete it by Vincen't D1-SERVER when it will be available (Or an Aurender if I can't wait that much).

Even thought I am still hesitating between the Total DAC D1-Dual, WEISS 301 server+DAC & Audio research Reference DAC, I think that I may go for TotalDAC also because I like the idea of purchasing my gear from someone with who I can communicate. it is like getting "my precious" directly from the hands of it's creator :)

I must say that I listen to music mostly to Pop/Rock/vocals/piano, and this mostly through headphone. I have a Fostex TH900 re-wired, and I am tempted by buying a STAX SR009 + Blue Hawaii SE amp.

So, my question are

- : Has someone tested the D-1's Headphone output ? Does it offer the same sound quality than what is offered buy very high-end stand alone +1000$ headphone amps ?

- Has someone being able to compare sound quality between those 3 ( Total DAC D1-Dual, WEISS 301 server+DAC & Audio research Reference DAC ) ? Before I discovered the TotalDAC, I was leaning toward the Audioresearch REF DAC ...

- and, Is the "tube" version (D1-Tube) ment to be a cheaper version than the D1-Dual version or is it ment for people looking for a more "tube signature" ?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Is the "tube" version (D1-Tube) ment to be a cheaper version than the D1-Dual version or is it ment for people looking for a more "tube signature" ?

The DAC comes in two versions: regular and tube. Both cost the same:

-d1-tube DAC: 6960euros incl VAT in EU, 6400euros ext VAT out of EU
-d1-single DAC: 6960euros incl VAT in EU, 6400euros ext VAT out of EU

The TotalDAC D1-Dual I had is a balanced version of TotalDAC D1-Single, with dual DACs per chanel. AFAIK it doesn't come with tubed output stage option.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Elberoth,
Do you have any thoughts on the FIR frequency compensation filter? Did you prefer listening with it on or off?

In all honesty - I haven't tried it yet. I somehow missed that option (embarassing I know - but that what happens when you decide to skip reading the manual).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The DAC comes in two versions: regular and tube. Both cost the same:

-d1-tube DAC: 6960euros incl VAT in EU, 6400euros ext VAT out of EU
-d1-single DAC: 6960euros incl VAT in EU, 6400euros ext VAT out of EU

The TotalDAC D1-Dual I had is a balanced version of TotalDAC D1-Single, with dual DACs per chanel. AFAIK it doesn't come with tubed output stage option.

I can not understand this price list. Why such a small difference between the inc. VAT and exc. VAT?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The takeaway (to me) seems to be that in the end many of your colleagues preferred the tonality over the detail as a method of approaching 'real live music'...fair take away? the MSB and Scarlatti had more detail to far more detail, but the audiophiles present generally to mostly preferred the Total DAC for its tonality, purity...if I got it wrong, please correct. Thanks again.

TotalDAC is not your typical tube DAC that has to sacrifice resolution for natural instrumental timbre. TotalDAC gives you both warmth AND details.

Scarlatti isn't any more detailed than the TotalDAC (at least not unless externally clocked).

The MSB is a different story, as after installing the Galaxy Femto Clock option, in terms of resolutiuon, top end smoothnes, image layering, low level details and soundstage depth it makes rounds around any DAC I have ever heard. It is just in a class of its own. But still doesn't sound as full and palpable as TotalDAC, which is whay some listeners prefered the French DAC.

The one million dolar question for me is how a TotalDAC would sound, if it had the 'femto' clock installed :cool:

BTW - here is a new review that just appeared, written by a good friend of mine for High Fidelity:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-1689&lang=

It is in Polish, but you may try to google translate it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
TotalDAC is not your typical tube DAC that has to sacrifice resolution for natural instrumental timbre. TotalDAC gives you both warmth AND details.

Scarlatti isn't any more detailed than the TotalDAC (at least not unless externally clocked).

The MSB is a different story, as after installing the Galaxy Femto Clock option, in terms of resolutiuon, top end smoothnes, image layering, low level details and soundstage depth it makes rounds around any DAC I have ever heard. It is just in a class of its own. But still doesn't sound as full and palpable as TotalDAC, which is whay some listeners prefered the French DAC.

The one million dolar question for me is how a TotalDAC would sound, if it had the 'femto' clock installed :cool:

BTW - here is a new review that just appeared, written by a good friend of mine for High Fidelity:

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-1689&lang=

It is in Polish, but you may try to google translate it.

Thanks for the clarification. That particularly helps me since I have heard the Scarlatti in 2 different systems...one of which I know quite well. And thus, I have a good idea of the level of detail of which you speak. Quite impressive that MSB is significantly ahead in this regard, as I was impressed with Scarlatti.

Which direction are you heading towards on these great choices? Are there any other digital systems you are considering?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The MSB is a different story, as after installing the Galaxy Femto Clock option, in terms of resolutiuon, top end smoothnes, image layering, low level details and soundstage depth it makes rounds around any DAC I have ever heard. It is just in a class of its own. But still doesn't sound as full and palpable as TotalDAC, which is whay some listeners prefered the French DAC. (...)

Elberoth,

Curious, I found that one of the great aspects of the several DCS stacks (including the clock) I have listened was the "palpable" - so holographic and present that it seems you can touch them. But we will surely agree on the fullness - it is why I loved the conrad johnson DCS pairing.

In the proper system the Metronome Kalista Reference /C2A also managed to reach the same degree of "palpable" sound. What was your digital source in these listening tests?

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
nobody could answer my questions ? :(

- : Has someone tested the D-1's Headphone output ? Does it offer the same sound quality than what is offered buy very high-end stand alone ++1000$ headphone amps ?

- Has someone being able to compare sound quality between those 3 ( Total DAC D1-Dual, WEISS 301 server+DAC & Audio research Reference DAC ) ? Before I discovered the TotalDAC, I was leaning toward the Audioresearch REF DAC ...

thanks in advance

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't have any cans. Even if I did have cans, I couldn't evaluate the headphone out on the d1 since I have no experience with headphones. You are unlikely to find someone that has directly compared the totaldac to any of the dacs on your list. I know I haven't heard any of those dacs. I've heard other Weiss dacs and have always thought them very good. Unfortunately, this hobby sometimes forces the customer to make choices based on design differences based on personal experiences. For example, I've never heard an IC sigma delta modulation DAC like the Weiss sound the same way as an excellent discrete ladder dac or discrete sdm dac. I know I am generalizing but sometimes that's needed based experience. There is no argument though that these important design differences predictably affect sound. Sorry I can't give you more.

nobody could answer my questions ? :(

- : Has someone tested the D-1's Headphone output ? Does it offer the same sound quality than what is offered buy very high-end stand alone ++1000$ headphone amps ?

thanks in advance

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I am happy to have generate a debate about DSD v/s PCM with my third question, but my two other questions did not get as much attention... :). So, allow me to ask them again :

- : Has someone tested the D-1's Headphone output ? Does it offer the same sound quality than what is offered buy very high-end stand alone +1000$ headphone amps ?

- Has someone being able to compare sound quality between those 3 : Total DAC D1-Dual, WEISS 301 server+DAC & Audio research Reference DAC ? Before I discovered the TotalDAC, I was leaning much toward the Audioresearch REF DAC ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing