Totaldac Reference D1

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
d1-monobloc DAC

One of the d1-dual is used for the left channel, the other is used for the right channel. The doubled DAC modules are associated in parallel. Both monoblocs are synchronised by a common clock. The reclocker driving the pair of DAC monoblocs is a special version equipped with two AES-EBU outputs.

The performance in noise, channel intermodulation, output impedance and jitter are improved again compared to one d1-dual DAC and the listening difference is really there.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Mine just cleared customs. I should have it in a few days.

d1-monobloc DAC

One of the d1-dual is used for the left channel, the other is used for the right channel. The doubled DAC modules are associated in parallel. Both monoblocs are synchronised by a common clock. The reclocker driving the pair of DAC monoblocs is a special version equipped with two AES-EBU outputs.

The performance in noise, channel intermodulation, output impedance and jitter are improved again compared to one d1-dual DAC and the listening difference is really there.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Niiiice, congrats, Dallas. Look forward to your comments.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Did you get a 3-box setup ?

From what I was told, there are also other improvements in the digital PS and firmware over DACs that are 6+ months old (which probably mean the DACs you and I had).

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes. This is the most up to date version. It is 3 boxes. Vincent previously built a couple of monoblocks which had a master with an AES out to slave monoblock and seperate clock out. I wanted mine to be a 3 box setup with seperate left and right AES/EBU out the USB to AES converter. There's still the master and slave using a short bnc clock connection between the DAC monoblocs. I think it's a little cleaner design. I've heard good things about it. At this point, I can't envision the DAC sounding better.

Vincent told me the idea to build double dual monoblocks came from one of his customers. He told me that he originally built it thinking it would sound the same. He said he was surprised how much better the monobloc configuration sounds. Vincent isn't one to exaggerate, so I am looking forward to this new sound in my room. :)

I guess one way of thinking about this design is to recognize that the TotalDac is not just a DAC. It is a great preamp too. Vincent is dedicated to building his DACs so that a preamp is superfluous; transparent volume control AND killer analog output stage. I know Krell has the evolution 2 preamp which is a mono configuration. I am sure there are others as well. It makes sense to me from that standpoint.

Did you get a 3-box setup ?

From what I was told, there are also other improvements in the digital PS and firmware over DACs that are 6+ months old (which probably mean the DACs you and I had).

I would love to hear one as well, even the stock dual-dac.

I have wondered why the OEM TotalDAC's power lines are not twisted or braided. I see the modder has twisted his, but Vincent did not. Does this make a difference ???

View attachment 10390

View attachment 10389

Twisting the wires will lower the inductance, making the regulator response faster and more accurate. I ALWAYS do it.

Steve N.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Fedex delivered 2 of 3 boxes. So I got the digital d1 USB to AES converter and only one monodac. Since I have the d1 digital converter, I fired it up and am send it's AES to my old d1 totaldac. This isn't what I expected. I had the Berkeley Alpha USB for a good 6 months and I had a pretty good feel and appreciation for what it did. One of the coolest things about the Berkeley is the fact that AES cables have minimal impact on sound. I still believe the Alpha USB is a very strong engineering accomplishment. The Berkeley brought better detail to my system. The totaldac d1 digital also delivers the details. The totaldac USB converter brings something more though. There's a relaxed persona to the USB converter. Ive had quite a few digital pieces pass through and the only common thread ive found is that the better ones let you play at higher levels without feeling like the music is aggressive or harsh. That's what the totaldac d1 digital converter brings that the Berkeley couldn't deliver. I am surprised at how much of a difference it is since I previously thought the Berkeley couldn't be bettered. I was so wrong.:)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
HRS racks rock !

The system and room look amazing. Congrats !

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks fellas! This is a photo of the back of the monodacs. I think they are best stacked so the clock sync 75 ohm connection can be as short as possible. Vincent designed them to be stacked. They each have massive copper shield at the base of each case. You can see a 6" clock sync connector in the picture. I think I could get one as little as 4". There's also another cable connection between the 2 boxes to make sure volume is in sync on each channel.

Functionally, the monodacs are the same as the regular d1 dual. The only differences is that the power button on the remote is disabled and the the mute button is disabled. All of the other normal parameters can be done in each dac just like the normal d1 dual.

The newest versions of Vincent's DACs don't have any trouble with the jitter attenuation buffer after switching sample rates like before. Even the monodacs easily switch sample rates without any hiccups.

I don't want to comment on the sound right now, because I need more time with it. The obvious differences are wider and taller soundstage and richer tonality. back side.jpg

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Looking good ! Richer tonality may be due to the reclocer as BADA is not the fullest sounding converter - it lacks some meat on the bones at times.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's true. I also think the monobloc configuration is very important to the analog output stage. These guys play really loud and retain an effortlessness throughout the dynamic range. Also, cymbals sound under control; not splashy. Sorry, but I am a drummer, so I listen carefully to the drums. :)

Looking good ! Richer tonality may be due to the reclocer as BADA is not the fullest sounding converter - it lacks some meat on the bones at times.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's true. I also think the monobloc configuration is very important to the analog output stage. These guys play really loud and retain an effortlessness throughout the dynamic range. Also, cymbals sound under control; not splashy. Sorry, but I am a drummer, so I listen carefully to the drums. :)

Question: as a guy who used to a lot of tech directing on theater productions, I remember bass and drums a lot during rehearsals. As a drummer, do you find that well set up subs produce kick drums well? With my X1s I find the bass kick to the chest is only done well with my sub and I absolutely love it and always miss it when I hear sota systems at dealers whose full range speakers without subs just don't hit me in the chest with that quick blow of almost compression which you get even when the drummer is playing but not trying to kill it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing