Totaldac Reference D1

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Hi guys,
I m planning do use my macbook pro as a roon core in the beginning, but i ve read that running it in a dedicated nas is much better sonically. Any advice in any nas?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hi guys,
I m planning do use my macbook pro as a roon core in the beginning, but i ve read that running it in a dedicated nas is much better sonically. Any advice in any nas?

Samsoum,

If you want a top level NAS, I would suggest you look into the following alternatives that have Ethernet ports directly on them:

Innuos Zenith MK II
Innuos Zenith SE
Innuos Zenith Statement
Melco N1ZH/2 (or N1ZS/2)
Mojo Deja Vu

I have an Innuos Zenith SE feeding the ethernet input of my Totaldac Server and I am very happy with it.

There is a thread here at WBF discussing some of them:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...tions-SOTA-Ethernet-Server-for-a-DAC-Renderer

Cheers,

VPN

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Hi , vpn thank you for the advice, i will investigate further.
First impressions on totaldac d1 and bibacord.
I received the d1 yesterday, and quickly hooked up, with aes/ebu generic cable borrowed from a friend ~ 100€ value and an audioquest cinnamon usb cable i own.
Let me give you some clarifications on my system so you got a better picture.
I m using devialet200 as pre/dac/ streamer. I use roon/air on devialet as roonend point and macbook pro as roon core.
Roon/air on devialet is really really good.
Some guys commared it to trifecta ultrarendu , some to very capble streamers i dont recall now, and it was very close to not say better.
My self , in my system , the only clear winner who bested roon/air is aurender n10 Linked to devialet via aes.
So, yesterday, first 10 mn of listening, i realised that this d1 is on a par with the n10( ouff!!!! I was so nervous that i made a wrong choice based on reviews only)
D1 sounds amazing in my system!
Most obvious aspects: depth and 3d of the soundstage.( of course details , tones, dynamic, separation etc etc ... are abundant)
What i mean by depth is it s ability to project the scene - studio- space where the performance is played fantastically by all means.
The seperation of instruments is so spot on, that it create that feeling of being there.
I forgot to mention, that to my surprise i received the psu for the server, that i wasn t aware of was included in the price.
Another aspect of the sound was a big improvement from roon/air is the highs.
They are so real and so open and so clear. Drums sound very real!
Today when i received the bibacord, hooked it, everything i mentioned went up a notch!
This d1 sounds really amazing, making details jump on you on such a way that you know each player position exactly.
These are my first impressions, and i m still waiting for a friend usb cable ( brand is curious) to check what improvement i can more expect after buying the gigafilter usb.
I hope it wasn t very long !
Thks

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Nice Samsoum... congrats !

and NOW TOTALDAC with MAGICO !

Alan Wolf, Founder of the speakers MAGICO has just selected TOTALDAC and his d1-Twelve MKII for his official show-room, he also adopted the USB GIGAFILTER and AES-EBU Totaldac/Bibacord. And when we know the search without any consideration of price that practice this brand to choose each of the elements who participate in the implementation of its speakers, it gives a little idea of the musical restitution of Totaldac and this d1-twelve MKII...

Great recognition!

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Nice Samsoum... congrats !

and NOW TOTALDAC with MAGICO !

Alan Wolf, Founder of the speakers MAGICO has just selected TOTALDAC and his d1-Twelve MKII for his official show-room, he also adopted the USB GIGAFILTER and AES-EBU Totaldac/Bibacord. And when we know the search without any consideration of price that practice this brand to choose each of the elements who participate in the implementation of its speakers, it gives a little idea of the musical restitution of Totaldac and this d1-twelve MKII...
Great recognition!

Hello BF38,

I am a Magico loudspeaker owner and want to know more : Inside which official Magico showroom does Alan placed the Totaldac Twelve Mk2 DAC, the listening room in Magico USA factory or the showroom of Totaldac dealer in Europe?

Many thanks!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello BF38,

I am a Magico loudspeaker owner and want to know more : Inside which official Magico showroom does Alan placed the Totaldac Twelve Mk2 DAC, the listening room in Magico USA factory or the showroom of Totaldac dealer in Europe?

Many thanks!

Hello CKKeung,
Alon has chosen it for his main demo room with M6 speakers, in Magico headquater in California, this room:
SGH_6758mm.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello CKKeung,
Alon has chosen it for his main demo room with M6 speakers, in Magico headquater in California, this room:

Thanks Vincent!
Your Twelve Mk2 is awesome!

mintakax

Oct 3, 2018
I am currently auditioning the MSB Discrete Dac with the new Renderer. Price wise it appears that the total Dac d1 dual is in the same bracket as the Discrete yet it has 1 additional Dac per channel. I was wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to listen to both and could offer a comparison ? I would also appreciate anyone's comments regarding these two Dacs even if they have not heard both.

The only Dac/streamer I have to compare against the Discrete is a Lumin D2 which I also own. Both sound great, although I much prefer the Discrete. I've done several blind A/B listens and picked the MSB 100% of the time.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I am currently auditioning the MSB Discrete Dac with the new Renderer. Price wise it appears that the total Dac d1 dual is in the same bracket as the Discrete yet it has 1 additional Dac per channel. I was wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to listen to both and could offer a comparison ? I would also appreciate anyone's comments regarding these two Dacs even if they have not heard both.
The only Dac/streamer I have to compare against the Discrete is a Lumin D2 which I also own. Both sound great, although I much prefer the Discrete. I've done several blind A/B listens and picked the MSB 100% of the time.

I don't have any experience on directly comparing the new MSB Discrete/Premier DACs against Totaldacs.

However, I did compared the newest Lumin X1 against a Totaldac D1-Dual (X1 as streamer+dac vs X1's digital output to Dual).
Totaldac won in almost all aspects.

mintakax

Oct 3, 2018
I don't have any experience on directly comparing the new MSB Discrete/Premier DACs against Totaldacs.

However, I did compared the newest Lumin X1 against a Totaldac D1-Dual (X1 as streamer+dac vs X1's digital output to Dual).
Totaldac won in almost all aspects.

Thanks for that info. I was considering the X1 at one point. I'm probably just going to keep the MSB Discrete since I am pleased with it. There is always going to be something better out there and I'm ready to just settle down with what I've got !

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Alon Wolf from Magico has also decided to keep the d1-driver to drive his amplifiers!

the opposite would have almost suprised me... very wise decision.
hihi... it could be that his so amazing system will eventually sing! (please, joke)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
the opposite would have almost suprised me... very wise decision.
hihi... it could be that his so amazing system will eventually sing! (please, joke)

Lol

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
to celebrate the end of a new year, one more... ( all the opportunities are good in this quite strange world) I'm waiting for the new Totaldac d1-player + storage to associate it with my d1-server. By the way ... the lucky first to have tried it did not wish to send it back! and quickly put it in the referencing list of its incredible audio system, I had some private comments, it seems to do the job, especially with ROON... that's good !

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5045

It's nothing and all.

Be well in music
Bruno

PS : i'm also waiting for this full review of d1-direct, even I probably have a little idea of its conclusion... hihi.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi all,
to celebrate the end of a new year, one more... ( all the opportunities are good in this quite strange world) I'm waiting for the new Totaldac d1-player + storage to associate it with my d1-server. By the way ... the lucky first to have tried it did not wish to send it back! and quickly put it in the referencing list of its incredible audio system, I had some private comments, it seems to do the job, especially with ROON... that's good !

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5045

It's nothing and all.
Be well in music
Bruno
PS : i'm also waiting for this full review of d1-direct, even I probably have a little idea of its conclusion... hihi.

Hello Bruno,
I just read your system profile at the above audiogon link.
An awesome system!

An humble suggestions : please consider to try the Intona Ultimate usb cable and Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable in your system. They are unexpectedly good!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
The babybear's system described in the Audiogon link is not mine, it belongs to the first tester and now owner of this new d1-player.
and yes, it's an incredible system !

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi all,
Just to clarify, the new d1-player is a Roon and upnp server. It embedds among other, 4TB of SSD by default, an intel processor, linear power supplies, a filtered and highly isolated ethernet output (for Roon RAAT protocole or upnp/dlna protocole)...
So it runs Roon core and a upnp server. You can control it from RoonRemote or for a upnp app on a tablet or phone. It is made a replace an audiophile NAS or a audiophile computer and get an optimum sound, with ethernet output.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing