Three versions of Oppo players compared

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I don't see how hiding measurements would hide intellectual property unless they would somehow give insight into the circuits. I suppose it's possible, but not obvious after my extensive two seconds of thought.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Rich is it true that the principal of TUC is not an EE and has had no formal training in this field. If so and by virtue of placing a seal on the box which voids the warranty, I must say, this leaves me somewhat suspicious.

Hi Steve,

None of the modifiers or upgraders are electrical engineers to my knowledge. There is simply no need to be. The circuits are not being altered. Both tube and solid state circuit design has barely changed in 25 years. Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers/Parts Connexxion is not an EE for example.

What a good modifier does is to select by critical listening from amongst the finest parts and wiring and shielding and dampening materials available, and "voice" them all to work very well together. Most of the Upgrade Companies business is from repeat customers who've heard for themselves lots of direct A-B comparisons.

Rich

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rich

Having not heard what the mods do I can't comment. I can however voice my skepticism. The modfier has to know what the circuitry does. Whether the person is formally schooled is not important IMO but the person must know and understand how the circuit works, enough to understand the eventual weaknesses of the design. Else how can he or she? Just listening to a unit and changing parts or modifying circuit layout seems to me the equivalent of playing lottery: it is possible to win but the odds are against you.
You seem satisfied and that counts ... The modifier should however be more forthcoming with information since a good amount of currency is to change hands. Reliance on such blind faith has been shown to be detrimental to one financial faith

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A brief note to inform that after runing a blind test between my iMac/Puremusic setup vs the Oppo/SE/nuforce/PC unit, all five listeners prefered the Oppo transport feeding my Reimyo DAC over the Mac computer.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I don't see how hiding measurements would hide intellectual property unless they would somehow give insight into the circuits. I suppose it's possible, but not obvious after my extensive two seconds of thought.

Then perhaps one could hypothesize that such a seal hides a lack of intellectual property. Would this not also fit the evidence as presented on this thread to this point?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing