Reference 75

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Smart move. Take the ref 150, reduce the number of output tubes, fit smaller transformers, then include those great looking meters and you've got a winner. Wonder if it's balanced only operation like all reference amps.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Looks like the reincarnation of the D79's!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The guys from Stereo Design at San Diego made me aware of this beauty, too bad it does'nt drive my Ascents! It will become a classic for sure!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Really though people? $10K for a 75 watt amp tube amp? Is it really going to blow a REF-110 in the weeds that you can buy now for around $5100 or so?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Mep- the ref 110 w/ kt120s would be 11.5k new. The 75 at 9k seems in line with prior pricing.

Everything im reading says the 150 is a bigger leap from the 110 than the 110 was to the vt100. Anyone here know?

Simpler circuit probably sounds better, thats why i am potentially enthused.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It just seems like a lot of money for a 75 watt tube amp. The design work for the REF-75 was bascially done with the REF-150. ARC has been using the same sheet metal for the VT-100 series, The REF-110, the REF-150, and the REF-75. I believe that even the REF-250s are each built into the same chassis. That saves ARC lots of money. That means the boxes and packing material are the same as well.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Hard to argue about the merits of an amp that no one this forum has heard,
but my guess is the REF 75 will outperform the REF 110, just like the D79/79B was a better sounding amp than the D150(I owned both).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This looks like my next audition. Hope its at the show next weekend! Could be ideal for my situation..

Keith, in my case also. I also hope that I can hear it at Newport next weekend. Should be a VERY interesting comparison between my D70Mk2 and
the new Ref 75. Only thing I don't like is the price difference, OTOH, my D70 mk 2 doesn't have those pretty meters!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
but my guess is the REF 75 will outperform the REF 110, just like the D79/79B was a better sounding amp than the D150(I owned both).

True the D79/79B outperformed the D150. And now the question is will the Ref75 outperform the VS110/115 and the Ref 110?

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

True the D79/79B outperformed the D150. And now the question is will the Ref75 outperform the VS110/115 and the Ref 110?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And now the question is will the Ref75 outperform the VS110/115 and the Ref 110?

It better. I'm sure the REF-75 sounds great. The power transformer was designed for the KT-120. It has more energy storage than the VS115. It has the Teflon coupling caps. It represents the best 75 watt amp that ARC knows how to build today and that is saying something. I just don't see the value for the price. It’s all relative though. Depending on how deep your pockets are, $9K for a 75 watt tube amp could be chump change.

I do think that ARC continues to improve the sound of their amps. The VT-100 series for example was night and day from their older amps and that would include the D-79. The VS115 that I own now sounds more refined than the VT-100 MKII that I used to own. There should be no comparison to the old D-70 MKII amp and the REF-75 Davey. The power supply in the D-70 is wimpy compared to ARC’s current standards. The quality of the parts used in the REF-75 are much better. The level of refinement and elegance of the sound should be on a whole other level. I hear it with the VS115 compared to older ARC gear I have owned. I can imagine comparing a D-70 to a REF-75 would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've been researching 100 watt tube amps. They all are at or approaching 10k. I am surprised as well.

But even your VS115 retails for 7k, so the cheapest the Ref 75 even could be is 8k. The ref is fully balanced as well as closed chassis. There are very few 5k stereo tube amps out there anymore-- Cary 120S and VTL ST150 are a a couple, but my guess have nowhere near the parts quality as the ARC Refs.

I also think it speaks volumes that the Ref 75 was designed on Sashas---a difficult load. They should drive most speakers with ease.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, in my case also. I also hope that I can hear it at Newport next weekend. Should be a VERY interesting comparison between my D70Mk2 and
the new Ref 75. Only thing I don't like is the price difference, OTOH, my D70 mk 2 doesn't have those pretty meters!

Davey- speaking of older design amps, I have a pair of Quad 2 Diamond Jubilees on loan in my system right now---they sound simply stunning. A new pair is all of 3k, although this pair is Peter Walker special edition with gold plating and certificate so runs a bit more. Only 15 watts however which isn't enough for most.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Keith, those Quad amps are impressive indeed. Peter Walker knew what he was doing when he designed that circuit. I think the same can be said for WZJ's design of the circuit in the D70. The question is whether the new Ref75, which I do not believe was designed by WZJ, can compete with it .
Once again, we shouldn't fall into the trap that because something is new and of current design that it necessarily follows that it has to sound better. Audio is littered with gear that a'philes bought into as the "latest and greatest" and found out the hard way that this wasn't the case. For ARC's sake, I certainly hope that the Ref 75 will completely outdo the D70....we shall see.
Our ears will tell us and NOT our reliance on specs and/or hype, just IMHO.;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
There is no trap to fall into here. While I agree that "new" doesn't always mean better, I think most people that have had experience owning different ARC amps over the years would agree they have gotten better. I don't think the question will be can the ARC REF-75 compete with the D-70. Rather, the question will be how much further has it surpassed it across the board. I don't expect it to be close. How much better the VS115 amp is compared to the D-70 MKII that I owned isn't close.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
It just seems like a lot of money for a 75 watt tube amp. The design work for the REF-75 was bascially done with the REF-150. ARC has been using the same sheet metal for the VT-100 series, The REF-110, the REF-150, and the REF-75. I believe that even the REF-250s are each built into the same chassis. That saves ARC lots of money. That means the boxes and packing material are the same as well.

When the D79B was launch in 1981 the retail price was $4450. For that price one can buy a descent car during that time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Keith, those Quad amps are impressive indeed. Peter Walker knew what he was doing when he designed that circuit. I think the same can be said for WZJ's design of the circuit in the D70. The question is whether the new Ref75, which I do not believe was designed by WZJ, can compete with it .
Once again, we shouldn't fall into the trap that because something is new and of current design that it necessarily follows that it has to sound better. Audio is littered with gear that a'philes bought into as the "latest and greatest" and found out the hard way that this wasn't the case. For ARC's sake, I certainly hope that the Ref 75 will completely outdo the D70....we shall see.
Our ears will tell us and NOT our reliance on specs and/or hype, just IMHO.;)

DaveyF,

I have owned the D70 in the 80's, sold it as I got a great deal on a pair of used VT150s - some of the more refined Audio Research amplifiers I have listened when used with the Quad ESL63. Much later I could spend a few days with a D70 that was being sold at a cheap price. I overhauled it and was disappointed - the VT150s were really better in every way.

Today I am listening to the REF150 - I am sure it can not be compared with the D70 or the big brother, the D115.

One of the reasons is that at that time the whole system using the D70 was quite different from the ancillaries you are using today. The amplifier was designed to be matched with a turntable playing vinyl and a colorful, but great sounding SP8 or SP10, and ours years were not used to the modern accuracy of digital.

I had a great time listening to the D70 and I am grateful to WZJ. Today I thing that the talented team that followed him at the ARC factory is designing better products, in line with the ARC founder and master expectations.

Just to end the post and create some confusion I will refer to Line 4 of my long list of memorable sound experiences - the chorus of the Proprius recording Cantate Domino being played by Sonus Faber Extremas driven by the Classic 150 monoblocks after two hours warmup. You could guess the toothpaste used by each singer just listening to the recording, as a good friend said at that session!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing