Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: My experience with Dan D'Agostino Momentum Amplifier

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Priaptor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Frankly, were I to have had more space available to me I may well have acquired both........I still might.
    I hear you! Both do things extremely well. My situation is a little different as I sold my Ref10 as I am digital only and driving my amp directly from my Select II. I wasn't expecting the Dag to be as good as it is on my system as my speakers were built around and were always meant to be played with tubes, as per its designer.

I want both as well!

What do you guys think of this combo : MSB Reference DAC + renderer going direct to D'agostino M400 ?
    Perhaps Alex you have tried this combo ?
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120
    Headphone rig : Kennerton Odin + Chord Hugo 2

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Priaptor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieliste View Post
    What do you guys think of this combo : MSB Reference DAC + renderer going direct to D'agostino M400 ?
    I think it will be amazing. I have the Select II and went direct to the DAG S250 and it was fantastic.
    Gobel Epoque Aeon Fine Speakers
    MSB Select II with Femto 33 Renderer V2 and USB V2
    CH Precision M1 Amplifier
    Gobel Lacorde Statement XLR Interconnects, Speaker Cables, Power Cords and Ethernet Cable
    Walker Audio Amplifier Stand
    Roon/NAS on isolated network
    Poltrona Frau Willy Chair
    Art Novion Komodo W Absorbers on Front Wall
    ASC Tube Traps in corners

TBD: Rack for MSB Select II

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I think it will be amazing. I have the Select II and went direct to the DAG S250 and it was fantastic.
    That could be end game streaming rig.
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120
    Headphone rig : Kennerton Odin + Chord Hugo 2

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thieliste View Post
    We have that pairing in the store, and we've even run events using it. It's really, really good.

Adding a preamp can have an additive effect, that could be desirable for some folks. In our case, the ARC preamp adds a touch of drive, dynamics and expands the soundstage considerably in all directions, rendering everything just a little bit more immersive.

cheers,
    Alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    We have that pairing in the store, and we've even run events using it. It's really, really good.

Adding a preamp can have an additive effect, that could be desirable for some folks. In our case, the ARC preamp adds a touch of drive, dynamics and expands the soundstage considerably in all directions, rendering everything just a little bit more immersive.

cheers,
    Alex
    Why not the Momentum preamplifier?
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Because we'd like to think a little outside the norm. Most people would just pair the two Momentum pieces, and be done with it. We did it, even sold such combos, and it is indeed mighty fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and Dan is right to be very proud of it.

But the second we inserted an ARC preamp with the D'Agostinos, we liked what it was doing, in terms of additive effects. The REF6 specially was not subtle in how it expanded the soundstage. And we can always go MSB direct, if somebody wants to listen to how a more direct/transparent path would sound like, which is pretty much how the D'Agostino Momentum pre sound like too.

With D'Agostinos power and drive, the ARC preamps seemed like a perfect match, as, unlike other tube preamps I've heard, they do not blur the bass or blunt the attacks of the notes.

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Air Tight - Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Because we'd like to think a little outside the norm. Most people would just pair the two Momentum pieces, and be done with it. We did it, even sold such combos, and it is indeed mighty fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and Dan is right to be very proud of it.

But the second we inserted an ARC preamp with the D'Agostinos, we liked what it was doing, in terms of additive effects. The REF6 specially was not subtle in how it expanded the soundstage. And we can always go MSB direct, if somebody wants to listen to how a more direct/transparent path would sound like, which is pretty much how the D'Agostino Momentum pre sound like too.

With D'Agostinos power and drive, the ARC preamps seemed like a perfect match, as, unlike other tube preamps I've heard, they do not blur the bass or blunt the attacks of the notes.

cheers,
    alex
    Thanks. What brand and model of cables are you using in this system? I have found that cables become much more critical when we mix gear brands.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Metronome Kalista / Kondo KSL DAC, Soundlab A1 Px's , EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, ARC REF40, VTL Siegfried II, TA Opus MM2 speaker and signal, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

This makes a lot of sense to me. I auditioned the D’Ags progression pre and stereo power amp. I found the sound to be amazingly detailed and fast, but lacked body. I can easily see how tube or other warmer sounding solid state pre-amps might enrich the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Thanks. What brand and model of cables are you using in this system? I have found that cables become much more critical when we mix gear brands.
    Again, we don't follow the "recipe", and we use either Kubala-Sosna or Analysis Plus. On both Wilsons and YGs, the two cable lines were great, KS a little rounder and AP a touch faster/brighter.
    Disclosure:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast