Dahlquist/Alon/Nola

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I recently acquired a vintage pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's. They are, as far as I can tell, completely stock and are in VG++ to NM condition cosmetically. Mine are numbered 20-004692 and 4693. I was wondering if anyone might have some insight as to the year of manufacture of this pair. Also, if anyone EVER sees a Dahlquist badge for this speaker I need one. Regnar claim to have the new style Dahlquist badge, but I would prefer an original if I could ever find one.

Anyone else a Dahlquist owner/fan.

Last edited:

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
i would be curious to know what you paid, if you don't mind me asking. i am a Dalquist fan, my father has a pair up at his house (i am not 100% sure if they are the DQ-20s). i always enjoyed the mid-range on these. my dad supplied them with pretty good power and got a lot out of them, enjoy

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
i would be curious to know what you paid, if you don't mind me asking. i am a Dalquist fan, my father has a pair up at his house (i am not 100% sure if they are the DQ-20s). i always enjoyed the mid-range on these. my dad supplied them with pretty good power and got a lot out of them, enjoy

Hi Brian,

I paid $300 for the pair which I consider a steal. Keep your eyes peeled to Ebay and Audiogon. I think the 20's would easily sell for around $475 to $500 for a pair in good working condition. They guy I bought mine from was downsizing and really needed to move them so he was motivated.

These speakers have a wonderful midrange BTW, so I agree with your recollection of your father's speakers. I do need a power upgrade though! That would be next...but I've got to wait a bit for that.

Rich, (naturesphoto1) also has a history with Dahlquist and is rather knowledgeable about them. You may also want to PM him if you have any other questions about the Dahlquist line. Find out your dad's model and let us know.

richr

Jun 11, 2010

I've had a pair of DQ-10s for 33 years. Still sound great (well after mirror imaging, upgraded caps, and new foam surrounds on the woofers).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I've had a pair of DQ-10s for 33 years. Still sound great (well after mirror imaging, upgraded caps, and new foam surrounds on the woofers).

I often wonder what ever happened to the pair I used to have and sold to a friend years ago :)

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

Did you have them imaged and upgraded by Regnar? If so, I'd like to ask your opinion of the service they provide and whether you found it to be a decent value.

I often wonder what ever happened to the pair I used to have and sold to a friend years ago :)

I detect a hint of nostalgia. I often think about my old analog equipment from the '70's that I virtually gave away in the late '80's. If nothing else I'd like to have it all back just so I could look at it again.

richr

Jun 11, 2010
Did you have them imaged and upgraded by Regnar? If so, I'd like to ask your opinion of the service they provide and whether you found it to be a decent value.

I got the upgraded caps from Regnar but did all the work myself. They were prompt in sending the caps but I'm afraid I haven't used their service so I cannot comment on that.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
If I'm understanding what you did in mirror imaging the DQ-10 correctly the later ones came that way having a left and right speaker with the driver locations mirrored from side to side. These date from the early '80s. Still have mine though I haven't used them for a while. Always thought they did many things right. Keep hoping for the room to set them up in a second system. Probably find out I need new caps and woofer foam...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing