Tweeters, measurements, thoughts . . .

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
These measurements that I posted are ours -- the SoundStage! Network's -- taken in the anechoic chamber at Canada's NRC by a group of engineers that specialize in this field.

They are what they are. Now, a speaker will sound different in-room due to room gain. So do factor that in.

I think you hit the nail on the head Jeff. In Stereophile's measurements it was noted that when measured in Wes's room, "the lows extend at full level almost to 20 Hz in this graph." All I know, is that I feel like they are putting out great bass.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
These measurements that I posted are ours -- the SoundStage! Network's -- taken in the anechoic chamber at Canada's NRC by a group of engineers that specialize in this field.

They are what they are. Now, a speaker will sound different in-room due to room gain. So do factor that in. Also, most listeners think that midbass is really low bass. Put a 20Hz tone through your speaker and see if it will play it back at any appreciable output level. Lastly, though I started this thread about tweeters, you can certainly compare the bass response of many speakers. Look at the Thiel CS2.4 here: http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/thiel_cs24/

Very impressive bass response. I've got to be honest here: some listeners prefer the sound of a 10dB bump in the midbass -- "incredible bass slam." But as I said, the measurements are what they are.

The Canadian NRC is the real deal - the measurements shown can be trusted. I agree with Jeff, mid bass bumps and room gain can give very different subjective reactions to a systems bass. The measurements are what they are. The facilities at the NRC are way beyond what most high end audio speaker manufacturers have regarding measuring. Actually, you may be really shocked to see what some of them have and how they design and measure speakers. The longer I'm involved in audio, the more important good solid, fundamental design has become to me. I find that over time you can pick out and hear the bass bumps and dips of a speaker and long term, solid, linear speakers win out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing