Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphone shoot out at the OK Coral

Headphone shoot out at the OK Coral

On Saturday, I am invited to a "headphone" shoot out.. The premise of this a'phile group meeting is to bring to the meeting our headphone amp and headphones.The idea is to listen to our headphones on the various amps and then ( I'm not sure about this part) swap out the various headphones to see what we each think of the various groupings.

I'm a little concerned about the hygeine of this last scenario, LOL, BUT us a'philes have to do what we have to do
    I'm bringing my standard set-up, Senn 600's with Cardas cable and a Musical Fiedlity XCan V3 ( which I rolled NOS 6922's into)....and which, IMHO still sounds VERY marginal at best.

I'll report back as to which grouping is left standing after the shoot-out.

Anyone else attended a meeting like this
    Last edited by DaveyF; 04-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] c1ferrari's Avatar

Hi Davey,

All I have is a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's which I thought I'd use for location recording.
    Um -- hygiene...
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

Hi Sam,
    Hygiene...Maybe I am prude, but the thought of 40 or 50 lads who haven't washed out their ears or hair in the last few weeks/months and then strapping on my 'phones is a bit of a thinker....present company excepted of course, LOL

Bring the Beyerdynamics, I have never heard a pair of these. BTW, I'll make sure to wash my hair the night before........maybe

Just soak them in Kwell overnite.

I went to the NoCal Head Fi meet, took Stax, Manley 300b preamp, Ultrasone edition 8 to display. Problem was, I couldn't wander much once I had an exhibit space with all my stuff. Next time, I am not bringing anything, just listen to the other great rigs with my choice of CD source.

It resolved my curiosity about the UBER phones, decided I already had about the top of the game, no reason to lust. Got to hear the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus and its amplifier, supposedly the top of the field, and the new Stax 009 with a Blue Hawaii.

It was actually a lot of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] c1ferrari's Avatar

Not at all...actually --

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Hi Sam,
    Hygiene...Maybe I am prude, but the thought of 40 or 50 lads who haven't washed out their ears or hair in the last few weeks/months and then strapping on my 'phones is a bit of a thinker....present company excepted of course, LOL

Bring the Beyerdynamics, I have never heard a pair of these. BTW, I'll make sure to wash my hair the night before........maybe
    I'm rather sympathetic
    Should we arrive with alcohol wipes
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

cjfrbw, that's a pretty good looking rig you've got there. No wonder you weren't too impressed by the others at the meet!

Sam, Not a bad idea about the alcohol wipes, only problem is since they are "alcohol" impregnated and you know how some of the members are with alcohol, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    cjfrbw, that's a pretty good looking rig you've got there. No wonder you weren't too impressed by the others at the meet!

Sam, Not a bad idea about the alcohol wipes, only problem is since they are "alcohol" impregnated and you know how some of the members are with alcohol, LOL.
    Oddly enough, it was just upper-mid fi compared to a lot of the rigs that people brought, including a 10K tubed headphone amp called an Apex Pinnacle. Stax headphone SR 009 are selling for more than 5K without the amplifier.

Headphones are catching up with the rest of hi end audio. It used to be the province of the young nerd who didn't have space or money for the ultra hi end stuff, but wanted the best listening experience possible on a budget.

There were more old coots there than I thought, though headphones is still mostly young nerd ball territory.
    Last edited by cjfrbw; 04-19-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: info

There is also a Head Fi meet in So Cal this Sunday at the Village recording studios.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604418/the-...-april-22-2012

"From legends like Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, B. B. King and Bob Dylan to current artists like Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Taylor Swift and John Mayer you would be hard pressed to find an artist who hasn't recorded here."

The Village was founded by an heir to the Hormel meat packing fortune, so I guess you could call it "the studio that spam built", but became extremely profitable and popular in its own right. They supposedly have the largest selection of new and vintage microphones of all types available for recording, something for everybody.

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Carl, what is your impression of the Orpheus?
    Peace.

Ron Party

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    i was at a Can Jam here in Seattle last Saturday....my 2nd one. it was at an airplane hangar at Boeing Field, here in South Seattle. about 30-35 people showed up. it was a very low key enjoyable get together. Doc B. did bring his Nagra so i plugged my Aristaeus/009 combo into that which was quite nice.

i brought my Stax 009's , Stax O2 Mk1'S, and Senn HD-800's. for amps i brought my Headamp Aristaeus, a Stax SRM-717, and a Woo WA6SE Maxed....and my Playback Designs MPS-5 as a source.

i have another electrostat amp, the Blue Hawaii Special Edition that is about to ship to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast