Please post your TAD photos here ....

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Theoretically the amp should not be fussed about the power quality coming in, IF it is really well engineered.

Frank- there is also the issue of DC in the mains. You could argue that better amps with very high quality transformers are more sensitive to this. Personally I have run a McIntosh MC402 power amp for several years without issues. When I switched over to a Burmester 911 I found it was humming/buzzing like crazy. After a call with Burmester we determined it was due to a high amount of DC current in my mains. A burmester 948 power conditioner resolved this issue completely. I have also heard of others who have had the same issue when upgrading to higher quality amps.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Frank- there is also the issue of DC in the mains. You could argue that better amps with very high quality transformers are more sensitive to this. Personally I have run a McIntosh MC402 power amp for several years without issues. When I switched over to a Burmester 911 I found it was humming/buzzing like crazy. After a call with Burmester we determined it was due to a high amount of DC current in my mains. A burmester 948 power conditioner resolved this issue completely. I have also heard of others who have had the same issue when upgrading to higher quality amps.

My dealer wants me to try a 948 as well. I'll give it a try and see what happens. My stereo 911 was stable and did not hum even without the PS Audio Humbuster III but I think it helps nonetheless. Other amps I've had absolutely needed the Humbusters to keep the transformer quiet.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
My dealer wants me to try a 948 as well. I'll give it a try and see what happens. My stereo 911 was stable and did not hum even without the PS Audio Humbuster III but I think it helps nonetheless. Other amps I've had absolutely needed the Humbusters to keep the transformer quiet.

I certainly would try it out in your system, specially if you decided to stick with the 911 mono's over the Dart. Burmester recommends to try both the power amps plugged into the 948 and plugged into the same set of outlets to which the 948 is attached as the DC correction will be applied across all neighboring outlets.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
This is what I mean by good engineering: Classé and Bryston are 2 companies that actually include the humbuster technology within the amp itself to block the DC component. They actually assume the mains quality is poor, and take steps to alleviate the situation as part of the amplifier's circuitry.

This is not to say that manufacturers who don't do this are not good engineers: every company has to make decisions on how to implement their ideas, it's always a juggling act between costs and what the market is interested in, thinks is relevant.

Unfortunately, we the customers have to be aware of all these issues when making purchasing decisions; it's a bit of a tangled mess with regard to good information being easily available in this game ...

FraNK

Ultimate Audio

Jun 28, 2012
Lisbon
ultimate-audio.eu
Hello!

I´m from Portugal and I love TAD. I think we were one of the first distributors for TAD Labs. Also I had in my personal system the wonderfull TAD Model One.

Just now we have full line for demo at our Store. Just arrived the C-600 preamp and the EVO E1. The preamp is truly magnificent and terrific combo for the awesome M-600.

Below some pictures of our set ups with TAD and videos. The Videos are Magnificent and from Hificlube here in Portugal.

Disclaimer: TAD Labs Distributor

DSC_6906.jpg
TAD Labs Model 1 with Karan, Gryphon and Playback Designs, Stealth Audio Cables

_SER4812.jpg
Tad Ref 1 with Karan, Playback Designs and Kubala Sosna Cables

_SER4432.jpg
TAD Labs Ref 1 with Vitus SM-101 and Sl101, Playback Designs

_SER6596.jpg
Taf labs ref 1, Tad Labs D-600 with Karan KAM 1200 Monoblocs

DSC_8772.jpg
Full TAD Labs System

Reactions: Amir

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks for the photos and video Ultimate Audio!

Welcome to the whatsbestforum!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Understood. The PPP is there, but not utilized at the moment.

Thanks Steve!!!

I'm not convinced the PPP restricts at all. I use one for each monoblock and nothing else is plugged in. The PPP outputs 900 watts continuous and 1500 peak watts. My monoblock consumes 300 watts at full class A bias. That gives me 600 watts of headroom. I think there is an advantage to perfect stable power that the outlet alone cannot achieve.

Ultimate Audio

Jun 28, 2012
Lisbon
ultimate-audio.eu
Thanks for the pictures and videos UltimateAudio! Did you notice a big difference between the C2000 and C600/D600 combo?

Hi,

The difference is breathtaking. We at our store didn't expect the difference would be so big. Soundstage is bigger, more 3D and speed is mesmerazing. Off course with the C2000 you have a very good DAC also.
Also we compared both D600 with C2000 DAC and we prefer the D600.

Best regards
Miguel

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
--- Hi Miguel, and Welcome!

Bob

* & thx 4 the pics + vids. :b

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
it's far less money to install a dedicated line to buy a power conditioner which as I stated would never plug my amp into as you can lose a lot of life from your amp

Steve I made that point over 20 years ago in a letter published in a now defunct magazine. Not everyone can persuade their landlord to make the upgrade.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Steve I made that point over 20 years ago in a letter published in a now defunct magazine. Not everyone can persuade their landlord to make the upgrade.

Are there power conditioners that don't restrict the power? I have a PurePower 2000 that will briefly put out more than it's rated for when necessary. Granted, I am not using it on the amps at the moment.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are there power conditioners that don't restrict the power? I have a PurePower 2000 that will briefly put out more than it's rated for when necessary. Granted, I am not using it on the amps at the moment.

-----Hi Joe, :b

This is probably one of the most interesting questions to answer.
There are few professional reviews of power conditioners/purifiers (some real good ones from Widescreen Review, by Richard Hardesty and other audio gurus & expert reviewers) ...
...And from all prices and categories (up to $10,000 or so).

Some of them are no more than just surge protectors with minimal RFI/EMI filtering.
And they simply don't have what it takes to let the full current pass-thru from big power amplifiers.
...And those cost up to $3,000+! ...I won't name any company names here but I got full documentation by several reviewers on them. And I'm sure many of you members here know some of them companies yourselves.

This subject all by itself requires its own thread.
It is as complex as finding water in the Sahara desert!
Methinks. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
--- You guys heard of Monster? ...Richard Gray's Power Company? ...APC?

* I am not an expert, but I read a lot 'bout it. If someone here knows for sure what's the best, please be my guest.

And if not, gimme some time Joe to retrieve my Widescreen Review mags that have several reviews on lots of them (from lower end to high end). And I will let you know which ones are truly recommended for true power amplifiers without negative benefits.

Meanwhile there are recent tests that were done and with surprising results! ...Google is your :b

** I'll keep an eye open on this thread, and next week, if nothing happened, I'll get into it.
...And I will start a brand new thread on Power Conditioners and all that jazz.

*** By the way, to have those reviews and articles online from Widescreen Review,
you need to be an online subscriber.

Have a great weekend,
Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing