Anyone outputting audio via USB from Squeezebox Touch?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Has anyone modded the Squeezebox Touch to output audio via the USB connection?

If so, what DAC, and what are the results?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am using a Wyred 4 Sound modified Sonos ZP-90 player. It up-samples to 24/96. I use the spdif out to an Audio Logic 24MXL tube dac and it sound awesome! I can play my iTunes AIFF music via the Sonos and it is very easy and sounds superb. I am very happy with it.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/539960

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Sonos is s a very nice product indeed. Not sure why you would want to have the Sonos upsample, as opposed to the DAC. Wyred makes really nice stuff too.

I am using a Wyred 4 Sound modified Sonos ZP-90 player. It up-samples to 24/96. I use the spdif out to an Audio Logic 24MXL tube dac and it sound awesome! I can play my iTunes AIFF music via the Sonos and it is very easy and sounds superb. I am very happy with it.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/539960

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Oh yes, I know it is possible. And as noted in many SB forums, results may vary. Any benefit will depend on your DAC. The
author of the best known mods for the SB says the SPDIF outputs on the unit are actually very good.

I like optical since it does not pass on any internal noise, but USB is all the rage, maybe the buzzword of the decade.

It is possible: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?82110-Instructions-for-connecting-USB-DAC-to-Touch
Results depends on the quality of the USB receiver of the DAC (adaptive or async) and the DAC itself.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Sonos is s a very nice product indeed. Not sure why you would want to have the Sonos upsample, as opposed to the DAC. Wyred makes really nice stuff too.

Hi Andre,

I do not have a choice. As part of the modification by W4S, they replace the Sonos PCB board. You can choose 48, 96 or 192 sample rate. They state on the product page to choose the 96kHz mod for the best performance. If they offered no up-sampling with a similar performance gain, I would buy one as well.

Joe

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Gotcha. I am sure they know what they are talking about. But what is weird is they claim 96 gives the best performance, but they still offer 48 and 192. That is odd.

I am then wondering if your DAC then upsamples the signal yet again.

Hi Andre,

I do not have a choice. As part of the modification by W4S, they replace the Sonos PCB board. You can choose 48, 96 or 192 sample rate. They state on the product page to choose the 96kHz mod for the best performance. If they offered no up-sampling with a similar performance gain, I would buy one as well.

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Gotcha. I am sure they know what they are talking about. But what is weird is they claim 96 gives the best performance, but they still offer 48 and 192. That is odd.

I am then wondering if your DAC then upsamples the signal yet again.

Hi Andre,

This particular DAC (Audio Logic 24MXL) accepts only a maximum of 24/96 but I have others that will accept up to 24/192 and up-sample anything fed to it. I find this combo seems to sound the best but I do have my eyes/ears on other DACs and am not sure where I want to take it yet. I've owned this Audio Logic DAC for over 9 years, that's how much I like it.

Joe

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A man loyal to his DAC!

You are a loyal man. 9 years is a long time to stick with one DAC! I tip my hat to you.

The hard part about "upgrading" now is the sheer number of DACs on the market. It is mind boggling.

Hi Andre,

This particular DAC (Audio Logic 24MXL) accepts only a maximum of 24/96 but I have others that will accept up to 24/192 and up-sample anything fed to it. I find this combo seems to sound the best but I do have my eyes/ears on other DACs and am not sure where I want to take it yet. I've owned this Audio Logic DAC for over 9 years, that's how much I like it.

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You are a loyal man. 9 years is a long time to stick with one DAC! I tip my hat to you.

The hard part about "upgrading" now is the sheer number of DACs on the market. It is mind boggling.

Andre,

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the Audio Logic as a dealer demo in 2003 as a model 2400. About 2 years later I had it upgraded by Jerry Ozment (who has long since, sadly passed away) to a 24MXL model. I think he came out with one more model better but I could never get hold of one. I also have a Metric Halo LIO-8 and an Aqvox USB 2 D/A MKII but I keep coming back to the Audio Logic for some reason. It was legendary in it's time and, I think, still competes with most of them today. I still have an itch for a killer dac or cd player/dac but I can not make up my mind.

I apologize for derailing this thread.

Joe

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I heary ya

No worries! I may be the master hijacker.

Well, consider the Bryston BDA-1...killer DAC.

The new Mytek DSD DAC that Bruce Brown has been touting looks very cool..

Also consider a CD/SACD player with digital inputs..there are now a bunch out there.

Andre,

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the Audio Logic as a dealer demo in 2003 as a model 2400. About 2 years later I had it upgraded by Jerry Ozment (who has long since, sadly passed away) to a 24MXL model. I think he came out with one more model better but I could never get hold of one. I also have a Metric Halo LIO-8 and an Aqvox USB 2 D/A MKII but I keep coming back to the Audio Logic for some reason. It was legendary in it's time and, I think, still competes with most of them today. I still have an itch for a killer dac or cd player/dac but I can not make up my mind.

I apologize for derailing this thread.

Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing