Most under-rated guitarist of all time?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Eric Johnson can play, indeed. He is also the tweakiest of audiophiles among guitar players. Claims he can hear battery brands in his effects pedals...

Tim

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well, there's no doubt about Eric, but "under-rated"?

Lee

Your'e right Lee, Eric's not really under-rated, but IMHO he is still far less known than he could or should be.

OTOH, most if not all of the candidates so far are not really under-rated by those in the know either, again IMHO:).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It's really OK that we discuss all these players. There are some who I haven't heard or paid much attention to, and this thread is serving to re-acquaint me (and others, I'll bet) with the talents of many great musicians.

So, thumbs up from me!

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's really OK that we discuss all these players. There are some who I haven't heard or paid much attention to, and this thread is serving to re-acquaint me (and others, I'll bet) with the talents of many great musicians.

So, thumbs up from me!

Lee

And a thunmbs up from me as well! Well said Lee! Time to spin some Roy Buchanan "In the Beginning".....

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
After spinning the Dion disc again this afternoon, after once in the morn. I just have to add him to this thread. Under-rated, yes. Unknown, hardly, as an axe man? Certainly. He does strike a chord with me, pun intended.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Like Jansch and Redbourn, Richard Thompson has technique, style and taste. Like them he's well-known and well-appreciated in most music circles, but probably not to the general public.

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
If you want the complete package try a little Mark Knopfler the man can sing write and plays a mean guitar couldn't class him as underated his solo later stuff is worth the price of admission and always good for a relaxing listen. For that matter his brother David is no stranger either probably a smidge smoother on the vocals but then again they were founding members of Dire Straights no less!

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Good call Frank,
Tommy is definately one of the finest guitarists alive he is a master of the art across all aspects of the guitar and makes it look so effortless at the same time!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

caesar

May 30, 2010
Just dug up an old Alligator Records recording of Fenton Robinson called Somebody Loan me a Dime. Man, can that play the guitar! And what a shame that most people have never heard of the guy.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Here are a few beyond those mentioned ( and I agree with many of those already listed, including David Lindley). Johnny A, out of Boston- he plays Wes Montgomery--style jazz chords, and plays against himself with ripping rock leads, he can do an Allman Brothers cover and mix Over the Rainbow, and segue into Jimi. Here's a sleeper- glen campbell- even though he is now suffering, I saw him last night, and there was a reason why he played with the Wrecking Crew back in the day. Even though his voice is not strong, and he is obviously starting to struggle with the disease that will eventually kill him, he can play!
PS, I saw roy buchanan open for Lowell George and little feat back in the day. They were both too loud.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Perhaps not underrated by those who know him, but I'll add - Frank Marino.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
No love for Nils Lofgren or Gary Moore...or are they over rated?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing