Most under-rated guitarist of all time?

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Happy Holidays guys,
I guess underrated implies deep into your career having never achieved appropriate recognition. The first name that came to mind was EJ. Well respected within the guitarist community and knowledgeable audience but not an everyday name for the average person.
When cleaning out under a house in West Austin I found a check made out to him from the musicians union. We had mutual friends so I let him know and he came to pick it up. It was a few hundred bucks. My house mate had a copy of Electomagnets which we placed in a conspicuous spot in view from the front door. Eric showed up and saw that record and laughed saying he didn’t even have one of those.
Other guitarists who are world class but have never been on the radio.
Derick Trucks- arguably the greatest bottleneck slide player who ever lived.
Billy Strings- picking up the mojo from Doc Watson. Phenomenal talent.
Marcus King - watch the duet with Billy Strings doing Summertime, then his tune The Well at Carter Vintage Guitars. A study in contrasts, the greatness is on display.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Greg Koch.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Greg Koch.
Under appreciated; anyone who has seen him realizes he's a monster. I see him in Colorado when he's making videos for Wildwood. The studio is down the street from a local restaurant where he eats lunch. Very funny, generous with his time. Hard to believe he is so under the radar outside the guitar community.

Reactions: Mcsnare

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Don’t know if anyone else mentioned Bonfa and I just missed it, but as a guitar player myself I appreciate his mastery with awe.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing