The Vintage PIONEER Thread!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As most of you know my IA is a Pioneer SA-9500II from the mid-to-late 70's. Although the one I have now is not the orginal I purchased new back in 1977 (that one was stolen while in storage), it has proven to be a considerable improvement over the Yamaha HTR-6190 (RX-V1800 equivalent) AVR I used to run. I also love the aesthetics of the 70's gear and wouldn't mind adding something like one of the Pioneer SPEC Power amps for a complete vintage look.

If anyone here has owned or still does own some Pioneer gear from that era, I would love to hear from them. I'm especially interested to hear about how you think the quality of those units are, and if they are worthwhile for incorporation. If you have pictures of gear, that would be even better and I encourage you you post them.

I'm also really interested in information/experiences with the Pioneer Exclusiv line of TT's...I hear they were very good, and an acquaintance of mine from another forum just secured one he had shipped in from Asia.

I hope this turns into a nice retrospective thread of experiences and fond memories.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi John, as you know I presently own a Pioneer RT-707 RTR that I am not the original owner of but purchased it from the original owner who lives one town over.

In 1977 I purchased a new pair of Pioneer CS-99A's that I had for nearly 20 years. They were as I recall a 5-way design anchored by a huge 15" paper woofer. Those speakers could take an unbelievable amount of power and play coherently at ear-splitting levels. Let's see I was around 18 then. Yeah, ear-splitting levels work.

In 1978 I purchased new a Pioneer PL-518 TT. I also had the PL-530 for a while. Both TT's are long gone now, but I still have the original owner's manuals for both.

Back then I was a big fan of the Shure V-15 Type III carts. I used to use the chiseled wooden box as an incense holder on the coffe table. Ah, the good old days. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had a Pioneer FM Tuner and Pioneer speakers in 1970s. I don't think either is very useful today though. The tuner died and had to get it repaired btw which when you are a teenager and saved forever to buy one, is a painful thing :).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have a Pioneer Spec series equalizer that was given to me by the original owner and it is dying for a good home to go to.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a Pioneer Spec series equalizer that was given to me by the original owner and it is dying for a good home to go to.

PM to follow.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is a picture:

Attachments

• spec equalizer..jpg
    spec equalizer..jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 2,936

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sweet!:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My first receiver - the SX535

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,904

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Through in the spatula and wooden spoons and I'm sure you will have the makings of a deal! :)

Deal is done! Mark is a gem! Looking forward to playing around with it!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
LOL, saw that on your thread at BRF. Congratulations, that unit has a high enough SNR to actually improve things. Did you hold out for the kitchen accoutrements?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
LOL, saw that on your thread at BRF. Congratulations, that unit has a high enough SNR to actually improve things. Did you hold out for the kitchen accoutrements?

LOL! No....I think my cookware investment is about on par with my audio one. Okay....a slight exaggeration, but it's pretty substantial.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
John, a graphic equalizer will generate phase errors prevalent in such typical frequency domain equalizers.

Just sayin'.

Yeah but if you can dial in a noise floor in the right frequencies your sound stage will be huge! And if you get lucky with the phase errors, the ride cymbal may take off and fly around the room!

Audio is cool.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Audio is cool, indeed!:)

Mark gave me a super deal and it's gonna look really sweet with my vintage amp. I have no idea what to expect, as it's been decades since I last had a G.A., so it'll be fun to experiment with it. I'm looking forward to it and I'll post some thoughts after I've had some time with it.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Audio is cool, indeed!:)

Mark gave me a super deal and it's gonna look really sweet with my vintage amp. I have no idea what to expect, as it's been decades since I last had a G.A., so it'll be fun to experiment with it. I'm looking forward to it and I'll post some thoughts after I've had some time with it.

I think you're going to have ALOT of fun with it. You'll be messing with those sliders all night long.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just saw a Pioneer CT-93 cassette deck listed for $700 on CAM.

Also saw this.:eek:

Are these people living in the real world?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A friend just gifted me this. Gonna pick it up tomorrow or on the weekend!
:D
Pioneer SX-727 Receiver

Pioneer_SX_727..jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
My SX-3900 I got when my father died. It was his last stereo. You can just make out the corner of the CT-F950 in the backbround. I now use this as my bench stereo. Can anyone say what is to the left of the receiver?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing