Denon 103

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
At some point, you have to decide when is a Denon 103 no longer a Denon 103. Is it when you remove it from its original body? Is it when you install it in a hunk of wood or metal? Is it when you change cantilever and stylus and/or change the compliance? If you get my drift, we should differentiate between the sound of a stock 103 and one that has been highly modified and now bears slight resemblance sonically to the original.

I do think the stock 103R represents great value for the money. I think it sounds damn good. I don’t think it sounds as refined as my Benz Glider SL. And I’m sure my Benz Glider SL doesn’t sound as refined as some other more expensive cartridges.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Some also run the 103 "nude". Every change in body makes it sound different - I am guessing because of the low compliance, it will put a lot of energy back up into the body and the arm. If your arm is not good enough, it can rattle the bearings.

But IMHO if you are prepared to work with it, the 103 is one of the great cartridges irrespective of price. The Magic Diamond is legendary among FM Acoustics phono stage owners in Singapore, and that is basically a modified 103.

It surely looks as a great DIY project Gary, but I am quite busy restoring the Nagra and the EMT (almost done for the last one) and not sure if I will have the energy and time to face another DIY project :( Maybe the Zu version could take me half of the road with no further sweat..

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando, I thought that you were a DIY-kind of guy :D

I think that the Soundsmith Gold would be the best of the Denon's without further sweat.....
http://www.sound-smith.com/denon/index.html

believe me Gary, I try to keep my fat fingers off the circuits as much as possible, ask Ki! :)

...back to the 103..(and thanks for the link)... a stock 103 is nearly $300 usd, a modified one is reaching $1.3 kusd :( - in that space there are some serious contenders (the Koetsu Black comes to my mind immediately) - is the modded 103 ready to play up there?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
is the modded 103 ready to play up there?

Yes - yesterday, I pitted my modded Magic Diamond against the Kiseki Lapis Lazuli in Winston Ma's room. The Kiseki won by a hair on leading edge transients, but we both preferred overall the Magic Diamond. It was on two different turntables, so the next thing we are going to try would be to swap the cartridges between the two tables. Believe you me, I'll need a strong shot of scotch before taking the Kiseki off and remounting it.

Winston's also got the Kondo, and we are thinking of taking it out of its box for a 3-way battle.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Very interesting....might end up getting one for the Luxman/Jelco.. Thanks Gary.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I picked up a DLA100 from Music Direct on a whim because the were just about giving them away. It's mounted on a Mitchell TecnoArm and I find it a terrifc match. It tracks superbly well. It replaced my AT 150MLX that I had been very happy with. Well, the AT's not coming back to this arm any time soon.

In an earlier post Gary mentioned that he too had a dLA100 but hadn't mounted it yet. Well sir, please do. I'd like to hear what you think of it. I've never owned a 103 or 103R so I can't offer any comparisons.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
In an earlier post Gary mentioned that he too had a dLA100 but hadn't mounted it yet. Well sir, please do. I'd like to hear what you think of it. I've never owned a 103 or 103R so I can't offer any comparisons.

So, it's taken me a while, but I mounted the Denon 103R on the Naim Aro, and then the A100, back to the 103(not R). The difference between the 103 and the 103R is that the 103R is smoother and has a more "elegant" and refined sound. Output on the 103R is lower, but with the Burmester Ph100, it's quite easy to adjust the gain. The 103 is more dynamic. Soundstage on the 103 seems to be "firmer" and more "solid" with images being better placed - with the 103R more whispy but broader.

The A100 takes all the advantages of the 103, adds the advantages of the 103R in a single cartridge. The 103 may be a hair more dynamic, bit it could be that the A100 is brand new, whereas both the 103 and the 103R have a couple of hundred hours under their belts. I think the A100 is a winner and a keeper. At the price that you pay for the A100 online - it's a real steal and a sleeper of a cartridge.

The reason I used the Naim Aro for direct comparison is that there are NO adjustments necessary when swapping cartridges that are essentially the same. So, I know that I'm comparing apples for apples and that the cartridges are not optimized/set-up different. Overhang, weight, compliance, are identical on the three cartridges with the 103R being 0.02g lighter. Could be due to manufacturing tolerance. A drop of glue less?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The Denon 103 series is great for the money. I would go for the A100, Musicdirect sells it for 299,-- $ now (reg. 500$). Be quick....

Cabinet : Clear type mold
Type: Moving coil (MC)
Output: 0.3 mV (1 kHz, 50 mm/s horizontal)
Channel Balance: 1dB max. (1kHz)
Channel Separation: 25 dB Min. (1 kHz)
Output Impedance: 40 ohms ±20%
Suggested Loading: 100 ohms min. (40 ohms with transformer)
Stylus: 16.5 Micron round tip
Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 45 kHz
Tracking Force: 25mN ± 3mN
Compliance: 5 x 10-6 mN

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
So, it's taken me a while, but I mounted the Denon 103R on the Naim Aro, and then the A100, back to the 103(not R). The difference between the 103 and the 103R is that the 103R is smoother and has a more "elegant" and refined sound. Output on the 103R is lower, but with the Burmester Ph100, it's quite easy to adjust the gain. The 103 is more dynamic. Soundstage on the 103 seems to be "firmer" and more "solid" with images being better placed - with the 103R more whispy but broader.

The A100 takes all the advantages of the 103, adds the advantages of the 103R in a single cartridge. The 103 may be a hair more dynamic, bit it could be that the A100 is brand new, whereas both the 103 and the 103R have a couple of hundred hours under their belts. I think the A100 is a winner and a keeper. At the price that you pay for the A100 online - it's a real steal and a sleeper of a cartridge.

The reason I used the Naim Aro for direct comparison is that there are NO adjustments necessary when swapping cartridges that are essentially the same. So, I know that I'm comparing apples for apples and that the cartridges are not optimized/set-up different. Overhang, weight, compliance, are identical on the three cartridges with the 103R being 0.02g lighter. Could be due to manufacturing tolerance. A drop of glue less?

I am very glad to hear this. I found that it took around 30 hours or so before the A100 began to relax. I think it gained maybe a shade more coherence after breaking in, but I agree, it's a nice sounding cartridge. For the money a super buy.

The Denon 103 series is great for the money. I would go for the A100, Musicdirect sells it for 299,-- $ now (reg. 500$). Be quick....

Cabinet : Clear type mold
Type: Moving coil (MC)
Output: 0.3 mV (1 kHz, 50 mm/s horizontal)
Channel Balance: 1dB max. (1kHz)
Channel Separation: 25 dB Min. (1 kHz)
Output Impedance: 40 ohms ±20%
Suggested Loading: 100 ohms min. (40 ohms with transformer)
Stylus: 16.5 Micron round tip
Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 45 kHz
Tracking Force: 25mN ± 3mN
Compliance: 5 x 10-6 mN

It is a great price. I'm thinking of picking up another one as a spare.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Will get one too!

BTW - I ended up buying another Blue Angel Mantis (brand new) from Andre, now I will re-install the Schu Tacco arm to the Luxman (some drilling might be neccesary) and place the Mantis there....sold one of my EMTs to fund this project :(

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Will get one too!

BTW - I ended up buying another Blue Angel Mantis (brand new) from Andre, now I will re-install the Schu Tacco arm to the Luxman (some drilling might be neccesary) and place the Mantis there....sold one of my EMTs to fund this project :(

You'd better get it quick - it's a limited anniversary edition and will sell out quick. Even Ki Choi might get one (or several).

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Music Direct has been out of them for several weeks now. They were the ones with the $299.99 price. And no, I didn't act quick enough myself. :(

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
A bit late response guys... but yes, I got two DL-A100s and as Gary said, they are keepers.

Glad you managed to get a couple, Ki.

I haven't seen them for less than $500 for a long time. I guess that they might all be sold out already.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Glad you managed to get a couple, Ki.

I haven't seen them for less than $500 for a long time. I guess that they might all be sold out already.

Got them locally from a gentleman who plays Cantonese Opera on rare LPs and digitally archives them. He said some of the vocals on these LPs are very difficult to track.... We should invite him to lunch one day.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki, are you sure you need more than one Denon cartridge? :) ( or for the matter more than one Nagra T) :D

Fernando:

Needing and wanting are two different thing. ;)

Had 5 new DL-103Rs once and have just two left... and now I made up three missing ones with two DL-A100s. Maybe I should try different cartridges soon...

Well, I tried to fight off the urge to get deep into playing the LPs but just seeing and hearing Gary's and Mike L's SOTA record playing setups, I've been pushed helplessly over the edge - it seems...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing