Trinnov ST2

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
Hi all, I haven't been around these parts for a while - job, life, kids keep me busy.

Anyone have experience with the Trinnov ST2? I have a loaner unit right now and am playing around with it for 2 channel (with 2 subs blended in). I have a dedicated Rives room and had Adam Pelz come up and set up the front pair of Fathom F113s to work with my mains and it sounds pretty darn good. I read the review of the ST2-hifi at 6moons and it sounded like an interesting product that might give me that last few percent.

I did a number of bypass tests with the ST2 (pro version which is the same as hifi version with different case and connectors) and it is indeed transparent - I couldn't tell when it was in or out of the loop.

I'm hoping to get a bit more done with it over the next week or so. I did speak to Curt at Trinnov in California and he really knows his way around this unit. If I do buy one I'll definitely pay him as a consultant (he can tune it via vpn over the internet) to optimize it.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I have owned one from the beginning, perhaps the first customer in the US to use one in a consumer setting. It helps that I am local to the US rep, who by the way is both knowledgeable and supremely helpful. I love it; I happen to have Audyssey in my Denon AVP-A1 (used only for watching movies). I keep the Trinnov in the loop between my transport and Boulder DAC. FWIW, I also happen to play SACDs and CDs on an Esoteric UX1L and SDR4000S Pro and can compare the effectiveness and negatives of the ST2 in a side by side comparison. I would say that for sure the focus, depth and timbre show improvements with the Trinnov in the loop. The technology and engineering of the ST2 seem to set it apart from other approaches to this area of room-source equalization.

PM me for more details. I have had the unit for over one year now. If I could get a digital in for multichannel from movies, I would consider using a multichannel Trinnov, too.

William

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Asher, I'm not too far behind you and Curt's coming by tomorrow to drop off an ST2 Pro for audition. I'm already using room correction in a 2.2 system via a TacT 2.2XP, but the Trinnov adds a number of features which I find appealing - phase/group delay and, according to Curt, the ability to add metatags so that the desired preset will be called up for each file. In my case, Curt will be performing a remote setup on Friday, after which I'm free to tweak and play for about a week.

/Ken

William, you have a PM.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
congrats Ken. lol, I was gonna call him on Friday to see if he could help but it sounds like he may be busy. I look forward to your impressions of it also.

William I'm going to PM you shortly.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I wanna know!

Sherwood Newcastle AV Receiver R-972 uses Trinnov.

Who else?

What is ST2?

Are there other versions?

Is Trinnov better than Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (& the Pro version)?

What about TacT? RCS Series? TCS Series?
Any comment on the new Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro coming this Summer?

JBL Synthesis (H&K division), which Amir loves so much?
Lexicon & QLS???

ARC from Anthem? ... From the Statement D2v pre/pro (not their receivers).

What can I learn concretely, educationally, constructively, intelligently,
about Trinnov and all the rest of the gang when compared to each other,
in a positively balanced way & without any propaganda or sales pitch?

With links & reviews please?

I truly wanna know EVERYTHING of WHAT'S BEST there is to learn about it all!
{My present knowledge is simply way too limited ...}

TY to all who can shine some light in my infinite audio journey. :b

Best,
Bob

Last edited:

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Asher, I'm not too far behind you and Curt's coming by tomorrow to drop off an ST2 Pro for audition. I'm already using room correction in a 2.2 system via a TacT 2.2XP, but the Trinnov adds a number of features which I find appealing - phase/group delay and, according to Curt, the ability to add metatags so that the desired preset will be called up for each file. In my case, Curt will be performing a remote setup on Friday, after which I'm free to tweak and play for about a week.

/Ken

William, you have a PM.

Hi Ken,

I look forward to your thoughts on this unit, as I've been dreaming up some uses. Given your experience with the Tact unit I'm curious to what your initial and later feelings are, as there are LOTS of options to digest. Someone already familiar with the many options a Tact offers might not find it so daunting.

Last weekend I heard a surround setup locally using ADA's external version of this and what I heard was very promising and left me thinking about some further ranges of adjustment which could be explored. Being able to pipe music directly in digitally makes it a very interesting option for a 2ch playback system.

The tricky thing with such devices is that they are very much tools and not just a result. How you put the available features to use and the target curves chosen/created allow for quite a range of results...

For those looking for some more info, there's a review on 6moons which looks to be an interesting read, although I haven't had time to get through all of it yet.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
May be jumping on this bandwagon

I have been exploring some EQ options myself and spend some time on the phone with Curt, who is very helpful and knowledgable. I have avalon eidolons vision and 2x jl f113, and always felt I I am not realizing the full potential of this 2.2 setup due to Xover and EQ limitations. I am very intersted to hear what you are learning about this Trinnov unit.

As a very interesting aside, since I also have a need to do 5.2, I am exploring an interesting idea with Curt. For 2 channel, I run digital in, and digital 2 channel out to my PerfectWave DAC for mains. For discrete stereo subs I use the Trinnov DACs.
For Multi Channel, I run Front L/R, Center Channel and LFE channel into the four analog inputs. Through some smart switching (potentially all doable in Trinnov software), I can now use my four channels to run my Mains, Center and 2 Subs in mono mode, or if I prefer, I can run stereo subs, appy no EQ to the center, but time align through delay settings. Of course, I need an analog preamp to keep the surrounds volume control in synch with the other four channels that run through the Trinov, but this I have.

In summary, I could possibly get very good EQ / Xover for my MCH system with this 4 channel box on the cheap (relatively speaking).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have been exploring some EQ options myself and spend some time on the phone with Curt, who is very helpful and knowledgable. I have avalon eidolons vision and 2x jl f113, and always felt I I am not realizing the full potential of this 2.2 setup due to Xover and EQ limitations. I am very intersted to hear what you are learning about this Trinnov unit.

As a very interesting aside, since I also have a need to do 5.2, I am exploring an interesting idea with Curt. For 2 channel, I run digital in, and digital 2 channel out to my PerfectWave DAC for mains.
For discrete stereo subs I use the Trinnov DACs.
For Multi Channel, I run Front L/R, Center Channel and LFE channel into the four analog inputs. Through some smart switching (potentially all doable in Trinnov software), I can now use my four channels to run my Mains, Center and 2 Subs in mono mode, or if I prefer, I can run stereo subs, appy no EQ to the center, but time align through delay settings. Of course, I need an analog preamp to keep the surrounds volume control in synch with the other four channels that run through the Trinov, but this I have.

In summary, I could possibly get very good EQ / Xover for my MCH system with this 4 channel box on the cheap (relatively speaking).

Please, what are those Trinnov DACs? ... Are they their own brand? ... Any link(s)?

TY

P.S. Is it Ed?

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Hi Ken,

I look forward to your thoughts on this unit, as I've been dreaming up some uses. Given your experience with the Tact unit I'm curious to what your initial and later feelings are, as there are LOTS of options to digest. Someone already familiar with the many options a Tact offers might not find it so daunting.

Last weekend I heard a surround setup locally using ADA's external version of this and what I heard was very promising and left me thinking about some further ranges of adjustment which could be explored. Being able to pipe music directly in digitally makes it a very interesting option for a 2ch playback system.

The tricky thing with such devices is that they are very much tools and not just a result. How you put the available features to use and the target curves chosen/created allow for quite a range of results....

Hi Mark!

Yes, I think that the TacT experience will serve me in good stead - or at least I hope so. Certainly the FR and Xover manipulation will be nothing new, but I suspect that phase/group delay, etc. etc. will be yet another painful, post-graduate learning experience. Hopefully, a week will give me enough time to determine the units potential and so make a purchase decision. Like the TacT, once I buy one, I'll have plenty of time to finesse the settings.

And don't be surprised if I give you a ring to discuss a best approach for pre-setting and then integrating the Submersive/JL.:b

Ken

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Hi Mark!

Yes, I think that the TacT experience will serve me in good stead - or at least I hope so. Certainly the FR and Xover manipulation will be nothing new, but I suspect that phase/group delay, etc. etc. will be yet another painful, post-graduate learning experience. Hopefully, a week will give me enough time to determine the units potential and so make a purchase decision. Like the TacT, once I buy one, I'll have plenty of time to finesse the settings.

And don't be surprised if I give you a ring to discuss a best approach for pre-setting and then integrating the Submersive/JL.:b

Ken

Sure thing Ken. Of course you know it works best when it's all SubMersives. :p

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Sure thing Ken. Of course you know it works best when it's all SubMersives. :p

Pick me! Pick me! I have SubMersives !!

Ken, I too use TacT 2.2XP for 2 channel and an Integra 80.2 for HT. I have been looking for a high end SSP that can replace both, but since the Lexicon piece went in the dumpster, I am at ground zero.

What is the MSRP of this thing? Is it ready for prime time? Is it basically a replacement for the TacT 2.2 (or 2.1). I think I understand that it has digital inputs. The web site description of this product was less than helpful. The 6 Moons review was a bit more helpful.

If this is a 2.2 replacement, how does one go about solving my dilemma of getting the functionality of a multi-channel SSP using this technology? (Without buying the entire ADA suite of products)?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Please, what are those Trinnov DACs? ... Are they their own brand? ... Any link(s)?

TY

P.S. Is it Ed?

No it is not ed. Speak with the guys at Trinnov. These DACs have been designed by some leading designer and appear to be pretty good (read the 6moon review also). Not sure if they are the same DACs used in the ADA - OEM boxes. Either way, with digital outs you can compare the quality of their DACs with any DAC of your choice.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Pick me! Pick me! I have SubMersives !!

Ken, I too use TacT 2.2XP for 2 channel and an Integra 80.2 for HT. I have been looking for a high end SSP that can replace both, but since the Lexicon piece went in the dumpster, I am at ground zero.

What is the MSRP of this thing? Is it ready for prime time? Is it basically a replacement for the TacT 2.2 (or 2.1). I think I understand that it has digital inputs. The web site description of this product was less than helpful. The 6 Moons review was a bit more helpful.

If this is a 2.2 replacement, how does one go about solving my dilemma of getting the functionality of a multi-channel SSP using this technology? (Without buying the entire ADA suite of products)?

audiogys, yes this unit does more or less the same thing as your 2.2XP so it will not meet your needs. You can get an 8 channel pro version for $11,000, or any number of channels you want at a price. However, this is not a SSP, so it won't do surround sound decoding, has no surround sound post processing, and has no HDMI inputs. All it does is EQ and Xover filtering. As you are surely aware, a single box that does all you are looking for is the Tact TCS mk III.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal

Hi Chuck,

I didn't ask the price, but I believe MSRP is somewhere between $6 and $7K. Ask me next week if it's ready for prime time. Yes, it looks like a TacT with additional functionality and features - management of phase/group delay, manipulation of the acoustical field, 2D/3D remapping (so the lit. says - we'll see!), etc. Yes, it has both analog and digital inputs and I'll use the latter. Ed's given the answer re: multi channel.

Here's some more reading/viewing:

May '08 description of Trinnov Optimizer features and one man's impressions Much/most of this will translate to the ST-2 Pro/HiFi

ST-2 Pro slideshow

ST-2 HiFi slideshow

Older video showing earlier version Optimizer ST screens and features Again, should be generally similar to the ST-2 Pro/HiFi.

More in a few days after some hands-on.

Ken

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
I still have my loaner and am hoping to get it optimized over the next couple of days.

I spent a lot of time testing it to see if it was transparent. I tried it in a few different configurations:
1. digital in and digital out by putting it between my Esoteric cdp and dac.
2. digital in and analog out straight into my active speakers
3. analog in and analog out (between my preamp and active speakers)

I couldn't tell the difference with number 1 or 2 compared to my normal setup of Esoteric cdp to dac to preamp to speakers. I was impressed b/c any other processor I have used has had some effect even when in bypass mode.

For number 3 I don't think I can tell it is in the loop but if there is a difference it is very subtle. I listened to a variety of music for the assessment and my room is very quiet (dedicated) so it's relatively easy to hear a difference. If it wasn't truly transparent then I wouldn't even consider it b/c my system is sounding really good as is.

I use 2 of my F113s integrated with my front speakers (active ATC) so unfortunately I can't use it in between my cdp and dac (b/c I want to separately align the subs with the mains).

I haven't had a chance to properly assess what the unit can do as far as "optimizing" things. Like Mark said, there is a thread on AVS where the Trinnov processing in a multi-channel system was assessed. Apparently it works quite well.

I'll update this thread when I've had a chance to evaluate the unit further.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing