Another Must Have Room Tweak And Conversation Piece

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
In May 2010 I put up this thread.....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Conversation-Piece&p=3408&viewfull=1#post3408

The Bliss Light has been a conversation piece in my room ever since. It has provided some very psychedelic moments in my room. Earlier this month at CES we found another amazing laser light.

For those who attended T.H.E. SHOWat the Flamingo you might have had opportunity to visit the NFS Room. This is a uniquely different room where 2 guys who are ardent audiophiles and reside in Las Vegas have a party room with gear of their own some of which went back to the 60's

Hence the NFS moniker to the room = Not For Sale

It was in that room 2 years ago where my friend Marty discovered the Bliss BL 15 laser light. I bought 2 of these and they are wonderful. Well at this year's NFS room not only did they still have the Bliss light in their room again but this year they had one that knocked the socks off me and Marty

Enter the Chauvet Cirrus which is a red and green diode laser as well as a blue LED

This one together with the Bliss is an amazing experience (warning-don't enter the room under the influence of any mind altering drugs as it is very trippy

List on the light is much less than the Bliss with an MSRP of $429 however the guys in the NFS room said that Guitar Center sells it for $350.

There is a Guitar Center not too far from me so I went by and indeed they had the Chauvet Cirrus BUT the good news was that they were discounting them to $199 each. I bought 2 and sent one to Marty and put the other in my room together with my Bliss laser lights

The effect is staggering. Put on some Pink Floyd turn off the overhead lights and turn on the lasers and voila

Here is a somewhat lengthy description of the light which IMO is rock solid and built better than the Bliss

Your guests will be mesmerized

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Neat. When I was a teenager I would build light boxes that would dance with music. I was the favorite kid on the block. Sold a few to friends and almost killed myself once when I didn't know the power was on the circuit (which drive AC line powered bulbs) and touched the output!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Neat. When I was a teenager I would build light boxes that would dance with music. I was the favorite kid on the block. Sold a few to friends and almost killed myself once when I didn't know the power was on the circuit (which drive AC line powered bulbs) and touched the output!

Using RC circuits to filter the audio output in three bands, a few pots and triacs? Happily you were living far away from me, otherwise we would have been competing kids at that time! :)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Hahaha, oh my gosh, the perfect gift for the stoner in your family.

OK, when I was young... I had a black light. But that's not all. I took dayglow paint and dripped it artistically on the walls of my bedroom. The room had a chair rail and the lower part of the room was covered in "Sanatas" plastic/vinyl wall paper. It was very expensive but the Conestoga wagon theme just didn't work at age 16. So the dayglow drip prevailed (watercolor). I topped it off with a red/orange danger road cone in the middle of the room and played Jefferson Airplane at 100+ dBs. The cone would glow and the paint would shimmer and I would be in adolescent music audio heaven. BTW, at age 14 I hung the turntable from the ceiling to stop the needle from bouncing. I wish I had a picture of that old bedroom. The system: EPI mini towers, McIntosh 2100, C26, Thorens TD 160, Ortofon MC20, zip cord cables.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Using RC circuits to filter the audio output in three bands, a few pots and triacs?
That was the advanced, version 2 design. Version one used relays! We could get Triacs at the time. Nothing like hearing a bunch of relays click and clack to the sound of music!

Happily you were living far away from me, otherwise we would have been competing kids at that time! :)
:)

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Interesting, but I would not buy one.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Iron Butterfly, lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing