Concept2 indoor rower

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm not sure how many members here are familiar with the Concept2 indoor rowing machine, but it's the standard for world competitions and is also in use at CrossFit facilities around the world.

I happen to have one of these evil devices in my home gym, and have been using it to recover from a bout of pneumonia I experienced last June. I've been torturing myself a bit on this thing, and have now decided to shoot for a top-20 placement in the world rankings by May. I'm currently 57th in the world for 500 meters in the 50-59 age group, and 13th in the USA according to the listed rankings. I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I wanted to put this thread up to let you old guys know that you can still go hard if you play a smart game.

Here's the site:

www.concept2.com

To view the rankings, click on the "Logbook and Rankings" section, then on the "View Rankings without login" button. You'll see dedicated young and old men from around the world who use this device for cardio training (and a good bit of strength, especially in the shorter events like my 500m favorite). Elite rowers have the largest, strongest hearts of all athletes, according to medical studies. If you have the funds and the inclination, I'd highly recommend it. Absolutely low impact, and sustainable throughout old age!

Lee

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The problem with rowing (either outdoor or indoor) is that it's a large persons sport! I never thought of a 135 pound woman as a lightweight.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a great goal Lee! We are all cheering for you to make it :).

Tell us more about the machine. We have a kayak now that we use to warm weather and I was thinking of getting something indoor for exercise. I can't find a video in my quick look that shows the unit in action. How hard is this on your back and such?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Tell us more about the machine. We have a kayak now that we use to warm weather and I was thinking of getting something indoor for exercise. I can't find a video in my quick look that shows the unit in action. How hard is this on your back and such?

They have several of them at my club. They ain't easy ;)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

Amir,

The difficulty of the motion is directly proportional to how hard you wish to go. You can cruise at a moderate pace, as shown in the video, or slam yourself into OZ if you want. Since it's zero impact and you are sitting down, the workout can be quite pleasant to go at an easy pace and watch TV, etc. Watch the video (I picked this one for the "scenery") and you'll see how it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zmJYQ5URw

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How tough is the competition in the 60 to dead category? :)

Tim

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Tim if you can outlast them, there is only one competitor in the over 90 group.

If you look at World and national age group records in many racing sports, you will note a single competitor who sets records in each age group as they grow older.

But for most of us it's not about setting records.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
But for most of us it's not about setting records.

Exactly. The benefits of getting onto a regular fitness routine and sticking with it are well documented. Our own fearless leader here can vouch for this principle. He is a stellar example of discipline and desire producing the results you seek. The rower is a great tool for this purpose.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I get tired just looking at that video. :D Is there an exercise equipment for the lazy person? :D :D

Yes it's called a shake weight.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Update

Well, I tried it again this afternoon when I got home from work. I rowed 500 meters again, this time in 1:29.8, which places me 34th in the world and 8th in the USA. I'm going to keep at it, as I'm learning more about energy management each time I row that hard.

Now, if I can just stop coughing......:p

Lee

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Somewhat of topic:
An interesting book about a rower, a figure skater and then a triathlete.

All the Sundays Yet to Come: A Skater's Journey
Kathryn Bertine (Author)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing