Canon's new "high-end" Point and Shoot

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
At CES Canon announced the new G1 X. This is a new tier camera, having a sensor that roughly approximates what is in DSLRs but come in small package with integrated lens.

As a way of background, the race for higher and higher megapixels has pushed the pixel sizes to get very small. This causes the noise level to go up since there is not as many photons of light captured. Prosumer/Professional DSLRs use much larger sensors which allows them to have much higher sensitivity and with little noise.

Now Canon is bringing out the G1 X which while small, sports a large sensor. Hopefully, it will approximate the excellent noise performance of DSLRs. I really like my canon G10 but as soon as light levels go down, it gets super noisy. Its noise level at ISO 200 is probably the same as the DSLR at 1,200 or so. I get rid of the noise in software but that softens the image too much. Lack of sensitivity also means blurry shots if handheld which is the main use of these cameras.

Here is the preview on the camera: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/13/CanonG1Xpreviewupdate

And comparison of sensor sizes:

The current Canon G series have the sensor size in dark orange. Compare that to the light green of the G1 X. That is a massive increase.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
It's $800 which will limit interest! Fuji also just introduced a smaller sensor (more DSLR like) camera at that same price point the X-S1. That's a big price step from lot's of nice $400 models.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW,for those at the show did anyone have a chance to peak through the Canon cameras on the second floor with the mega large telephoto lenses
I try not to. I have all but the new 800mm and that thing will set me back another $9K which I prefer to not do right now :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Back go G1 X, yes the price is insane in this day and age where you get free cameras in your phone and such. It is said that in a 2-3 years, the market for point and shoot will disappear completely due to this factor. So camera companies are gearing up to focus on high-end/DSLR units. I think $500 would have been a much more reasonable price given the fact that the lenses are not interchangeable and such.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've been waiting for a camera like this, primarily for use on vacations. I shoot mostly architectural, and had been hoping for 24mm at the wide end of the zoom, but 28mm will suffice. Especially for a vacation, I do not want to carry around extra lenses so an "advanced compact" is my preference.

The $800 price is more than I'd like to pay, but I guess Canon figures enough enthusiasts will open their wallets for this combination of sensor, lens and body size. I'll just have to "amortize" the price premium over a couple of trips....

DP Review has now posted about 30 sample images, and they look very acceptable to me.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I just noticed that Fuji also has a more expensive FinePix X-100 at $1200 !
Fuji also has a similar X-Pro1 but with interchangeable lens.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing