Which elements of room design are subjective and which are objective?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Seems like if you were to ask 100 room designers to design you a room, you would get 100 different rooms. So how much of room design is subjective vs. objective?

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
That is because "design" by it's very nature is really an effort of making the best compromises. Each designer will approach every decision based on their experiences and comforts and this will lead to different approaches. As for what is objective and what is subjective. How a room sounds is subjective. Measurement data on isolation, noise, & spkr to room interaction is objective. But, no measurement can tell you what a room sounds like...similar to how no medical test can tell you how you feel.

One of the main reasons Nyal and I published the paper linked below is to address this very question..."bridge the objective and subjective".

http://www.hdacoustics.net/files/QuickSiteImages/AMS_for_Stereo_List._Rms.pdf

...just because each of the 100 rooms in the hypothetical are different doesn't by itself equate to anything wrong...it should speak to the exciting potential of human creativity and understanding.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Jeff.... very much enjoyed reading Nyal and your paper. In essence, the 2-channel "listening room" can also be a professional mastering room.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
You're welcome Bruce and I'm really pleased you read the paper and enjoyed. I'm a big fan of your work, your facility and maybe mostly how you've created a facility to serve your business model. I've used you as an example in conversations with clients to that point...BRAVO.

On the point of the possible similarity of a dedicated 2-Channel room and a pro mastering room, "you got me" :). I personally think of them as having similar needs. Of course I come from a pro background so there's no conflict in my mind...just the same, I wouldn't want the correlation to be "off-putting" to someone without the same background.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... While recognizing I am way out of my league, my listening room is close to most mastering rooms I have work3ed in, and it is much deader than most audiophiles prefer. recording studio, maybe, but mastering room, not sure...

I downloaded but have not read the paper yet -- it looks awesome!

When I was helping acoustic designers, the hard part was realizing the client's goals, which sometimes differed quite a bit from what we would have done (particularly in terms of frequency response and reverberation). We had plenty of objective data, but ultimately it came down to how the listener(s) wanted the space to sound, and that was always the biggest subjective factor.

FWIWFM - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing