ML No.33 - how does it compare with the best today

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No winner needs to be decided. The real winner will be the music. I just wanted a passive, current-hungry (non-powered) speaker to try the amp out on (besides the MG3.6). It's going to be a casual test. I don't want to do the double-blind level-matched to 0.1dB test, and I don't think that Amir will want that either.

Right. No need to have any objectivists trying to ruin the fun of listening. Everyone will be relaxed and enjoying listening to good music through a couple of different amps.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Right. No need to have any objectivists trying to ruin the fun of listening. Everyone will be relaxed and enjoying listening to good music through a couple of different amps.

Well, if it remains a "comparison" as Amir initially sugqgested, you certainly won't need any objectivity to make it competitive. Subjectivists have never needed objectivity to turn fun listening into competition. If anything, a bit of objectivity, if you could ever get subjectivists to accept it, would only bring the competition to an early conclusion.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
And I'm looking for someone with really current/power hungry speakers to pit my new prototype monoblocks against. How about we can kill 2 birds with one stone if I bring my monoblocks to Madrona and compare to the No.53's driving your Revel?

Gary, if for whatever reason this option does not fly, I know a poor soul that has power-hungry, big-amps-eaters, slouglish speakers that will surely volunteer to try them at his rat-hole dedicated room!!!! :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im may be trying to find out soon, this ml 33 sound question turned into 53 s. Other manufacturers whatever can we go back to 33 , 33 h comparisons?

foba

Jun 6, 2012
I’ve been using the ML 32/33h combination with XLO Unlimited cables all the way for almost 15 years and still love it. I’ve changed speakers, from B&W 803 Nautilus to Verity Audio Parsifal Encore to my current Vivid Audio G3, changed my analog set up twice. Though, I’m still using my ML 390s CD player. I’ve heard the current super amps like Vitus, Constellation, the big Naim and Gryphon. But I still don’t find the need to upgrade my ML system.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How did you feel the Vitus sounds compared to your MLs?

Compared to Gryphon?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I’ve been using the ML 32/33h combination with XLO Unlimited cables all the way for almost 15 years and still love it. I’ve changed speakers, from B&W 803 Nautilus to Verity Audio Parsifal Encore to my current Vivid Audio G3, changed my analog set up twice. Though, I’m still using my ML 390s CD player. I’ve heard the current super amps like Vitus, Constellation, the big Naim and Gryphon. But I still don’t find the need to upgrade my ML system.

Jeanne is that you? :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

hi foba,

nice system (brings back some great memories) and welcome to What's Best Forum.

i had that ML 32/33h -> 33 combo back in 1999-2001 with WP6's. it was sweet and i could see that set up being entirely ultra fine today......especially with the Vivid's. and as far as the industrial design 'look' I've still not seen anything as good. it set the bar very high.

best regards,

Mike

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Jack , by the way i think you mentioned somewhere else
That the amp and digital designers of the old levinson 3 series went to either Viola amplifiersdesign and. Bricasti for the digital design .
Care tot elaborate more on how that story went ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi sorry just saw this. Collangelo and Jayson went to Cello and then Viola. Not sure who exactly from the team went to Bricasti. :)

foba

Jun 6, 2012
hi foba,

nice system (brings back some great memories) and welcome to What's Best Forum.

i had that ML 32/33h -> 33 combo back in 1999-2001 with WP6's. it was sweet and i could see that set up being entirely ultra fine today......especially with the Vivid's. and as far as the industrial design 'look' I've still not seen anything as good. it set the bar very high.

best regards,

Mike

You are so right Mike.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
I believe the ML 33 is the pinnacle and end of an era!
The era of the great amplifiers, absolute quality, timbre and unmatched power!
For many years, I have a Mark Levinson reference system, the ML33 amplifiers play my BW 801 very well, but they also played very well the Tannoy Westminster (unlikely thing), I'm sure I'll regret it, but I'm dismantling the Ml system and leaving for a Mcintosh valve system!

12212415484_96475e728e_b.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me, the Vitus is very similar to my ML. If ever I have to replace my ML, I’d go for the Vitus.
I’m not a fan of Gryphon.

Hi Foba,

Most interesting...what are the differences between Gryphon and Vitus for you? Most interested to hear, and have been looking at auditioning the masterpiece ref amp series...just enormous!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've had them all..33H, 33, and 20.6.

For me the 20.6 was the best Levinson offered...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing