Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: The importance of VTA, SRA and Azimuth - pics

I've been following this tread and others relative to proper SRA procedures. I ordered and received an USB microscope and found that my SRA setting was well past the desired 92 degrees. Even after I lowered my arm (Graham 1.5TC - Phantom Elite on order) to the lowest setting I still couldn't get within 4 degree of where I needed to be. And my cartridge sounder worse (dull & lifeless) when I lowered it to the maximum allowable position.

So my question is... if I must shim the backside of my cartridge (Koetsu Rosewood Signature) in order to get it to the desired 92 degree setting, what should I use for shim material. I've seen several negative comments about the use of a shim and the detrimental impact it has to the sound of the cartridge.

Kyle

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Another way to adjust SRA is by affecting VTF, in your case, increase it in order to lower it. But don't forget, all these adjustments affect overhang, alignment and azimuth, so you have to re-adjust. I would resort to shimming as the last option. So is your VTF where it needs to be?
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

ack...

Yes, all adjustments other than SRA are spot-on. It appears as though the only option I have to get into the 92 degree SRA setting is to shim the back portion of my cartridge. If I must do so, I'm looking for input on what to use as shim material.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    I have no idea what works best... call up a couple of dealers and MusicDirect to see if they have anything to offer
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Sunnyboy1956's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kroslos View Post
    ack...

Yes, all adjustments other than SRA are spot-on. It appears as though the only option I have to get into the 92 degree SRA setting is to shim the back portion of my cartridge. If I must do so, I'm looking for input on what to use as shim material.
    With all parameters except SRA spot on, how does it sound ? That's the only true test and all the SRA theory IMHO is a lot of hokum pokum. My recipe is simple : align the cart with a good protractor preferably one with 2 null points, set VTF and have the arm as parallel as can be. Then slowly adjust VTA, either begin by lowering the arm base or raising it until you hit a sweet spot. Obviously use a recoding that you are familiar with. I have never bothered about SRA. Read the review of the Lyra Etna in Stereophile and the manufacturers comments.
    Pradeep
    Amps: Wavac HE833V2 on Sistrum 101 stands
    Preamp :CJ GATs2
    Speakers: Rockport Aviors + REL G1x2
    Phonostage :Nagra VPS+VFS+MPS,SUTs Lyra Erodion, Airtight ATH2
    Turntable :TW AC with BN mods, Garrard 401
    TonearmsDurand Talea2, Kairos , Ortofon 309D
    Cartridges:MC Anna,Etna SL, Miyajima Madake
    Digital :Musical Fidelity KW 25dac+Transport
    Cables :Cables Audiomica,Poland, Lyra Phonopipe
    Power :Triton V2+ Typhon, all PCs Shunyata Sigma HC etc
    RCM : KLaudio
    Rack :Cohernz Audio, Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
    With all parameters except SRA spot on, how does it sound ? That's the only true test and all the SRA theory IMHO is a lot of hokum pokum. My recipe is simple : align the cart with a good protractor preferably one with 2 null points, set VTF and have the arm as parallel as can be. Then slowly adjust VTA, either begin by lowering the arm base or raising it until you hit a sweet spot. Obviously use a recoding that you are familiar with. I have never bothered about SRA. Read the review of the Lyra Etna in Stereophile and the manufacturers comments.
    Pradeep
    +1

Null point adjustments and overhang are the key here. If they are not set properly, the rest of the adjustments/trials will not be effective. If you have a Graham arm, then go with its own aligment jig, it has been proven to be better. Regarding vta, if you have a recent Graham tonearm , it should have air bubble level so trying vta is very easy to play around flat bubble level. Remember to check azimuth setting for even small adjustments in vta/vtf combination as it may change from its ideal position, for best results you can use either a fozgometer or adjust+ software. I would not worry about SRA too much being honest.
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Royal / Ikeda 407, Graham Elite / Ikeda Kai, ZYX Universe Premium / ARC Ref Phono 10
    Digital: DCS Vivaldi Transport, DAC, Clock
    Preamp: Constellation Altair II
    Amps: Constellation Hercules II Monos
    Speakers: Magico M Project
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus IC & SC, Ref MM2 phono, Ref XL AES/EBU & clock
    Power: Shunyata Triton V2, Typhon / Stage III Leviathan (x2), Kraken (x7)
    Racks: SRA Scuttle (x3), Ohio XL+^2 (x4)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718