The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce. I've just joined the WB forum purely to ask this question (well two actually), was Jim Keltner's cough right at the end of his improv reinstated on the DXD version? (it was deleted on the xrcd), and sonically what were the differences between the XRCD and DXD versions as I have the xrcd version and it sounds really punchy and dynamic. You can still hear the odd slight artefact from the original tape through headphones but the suppression of noise overall is pretty darn good.

Welcome!
The same source was used for both the XRCD and DXD versions.
I don't believe Winston wanted the cough at the end of the improv. The DXD version has a "wetter" feel. You can hear more of the room, thus we feel has even more impact.

fallingforstars

Oct 19, 2016
DXD version anomaly

Welcome!
The same source was used for both the XRCD and DXD versions.
I don't believe Winston wanted the cough at the end of the improv. The DXD version has a "wetter" feel. You can hear more of the room, thus we feel has even more impact.

Hi again Bruce. Managed to source the DXD version for which I have two observations. As the two drum solos are purely for dynamic effect with maximum impact I really think the drier xrcd version suits it much better as its a cleaner sound but that's purely my own personal preference. I might add finding a copy cost a small fortune but I found a disturbing error which may be a replication fault I don't know but you may know. On Jim Keltners improv at around 3:14 - 3:20 the left channel sputters and disintegrates which isn't on the xrcd version (see attached screenshot). Could this be a cd fault? Perhaps some members could check their own copies and let me know if the problem is real or with just my copy. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• JK_dxd.jpg
    JK_dxd.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 175

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi again Bruce. Managed to source the DXD version for which I have two observations. As the two drum solos are purely for dynamic effect with maximum impact I really think the drier xrcd version suits it much better as its a cleaner sound but that's purely my own personal preference. I might add finding a copy cost a small fortune but I found a disturbing error which may be a replication fault I don't know but you may know. On Jim Keltners improv at around 3:14 - 3:20 the left channel sputters and disintegrates which isn't on the xrcd version (see attached screenshot). Could this be a cd fault? Perhaps some members could check their own copies and let me know if the problem is real or with just my copy. Thanks in advance.

As stated... the same source was used, but transfered at different times and with different equipment. That could be the difference you hear. Winston had the final say in which version was used. I provided 3-4 final production samples in which to choose from.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
He choose "wisely".

Tom

fallingforstars

Oct 19, 2016
As stated... the same source was used, but transfered at different times and with different equipment. That could be the difference you hear. Winston had the final say in which version was used. I provided 3-4 final production samples in which to choose from.

There is clearly a major sound fault (dropout) on the left channel only at 3:14 on the dxd version of track 1 that lasts about 6 seconds. Just need to know if its only my copy affected. Can anyone help before I take issue with the supplier?
Update:- I think the attached photo shows what may be responsible. There are in fact two visible imperfections - its virtually impossible to get them in one photo though.

Attachments

• imperfection1.jpg
    imperfection1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Brent71

Dec 14, 2016
Wow, I just now found this thread and never knew there was a newer DXD master version. Of course it's now seemingly impossible to find. I have the original CD and the older XRCD, but would love to have this version.

What happened to everything FIM/LIM?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have one
A direct to disk LP

It sounded very good and clean on Halcro and vivid .
It was a dealer demo in Tilburg

Thank you. There are not many videos of this recording out there. This LP is very dynamic and usually played back very loud so it’s hard for a telephone to capture it.

It’s interesting. I don’t see the turntable moving.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
interesting. I don’t see the turntable moving.

What are you trying to imply here peter.
That a trick was pulled , lol

I saw Bert bazuin / terrason audio put on the record himself.

It was quit funny actually he also still owns the DM 58 s i remember from the Wilson maxx demo at mijn hifi in Nijmegen back in 2004 .
That had those maxx woofers perfect under control.
Good old times i always loved mijn hifi .
Great listening room / friendly personel

HALCRO has basscontrol like almost no other.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Wow, I just now found this thread and never knew there was a newer DXD master version. Of course it's now seemingly impossible to find. I have the original CD and the older XRCD, but would love to have this version.

What happened to everything FIM/LIM?
I had missed this thread. After Winston Ma died in 2016, FIM/LIM died with him. None of his children wanted to take over his business, so the inventory was sold off (I think to Elusive Disc which was the main distributor in the US and perhaps a Hong Kong distributor). The inventory wasn't that big. I was in the room with all the inventory back in 2013 or 2014 when I was doing my Decca book for Winston, one of the last major projects done by FIM/LIM. Instead of taking any money for doing the writing, I asked Winston whether I could instead have one copy of everything that he had in inventory. So I have a pretty complete collection of all the FIM/LIM silver discs and vinyl.

Larry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sheffield did tape backups for at least some (maybe all) of their D2D releases. After some of the early D2D releases sold out - I can think of at least the Dave Grusin and Thelma Houston albums, they released vinyl made from the tape backups. I have a 15ips 2 track copy of the Grusin tape back up. I have never done a direct comparison with my D2D vinyl copy. I did play that quite a bit, since I liked several of the songs. I did make a digital 192/24 copy of all the Sheffield D2D records I had (I think all but one or two very early Lincoln Mayorga albums and the Thelma Houston, which I somehow never got as a D2D, only the reissue.

Larry

Reactions: Brent71 and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What are you trying to imply here peter.
That a trick was pulled , lol

I saw Bert bazuin / terrason audio put on the record himself.

It was quit funny actually he also still owns the DM 58 s i remember from the Wilson maxx demo at mijn hifi in Nijmegen back in 2004 .
That had those maxx woofers perfect undër control.
Good old times i always loved mijn hifi .
Great listening room / friendly personel

HALCRO has basscontrol like almost no other.

No implication at all. I take you at your word since you were actually there. I am a fan of capturing the needle drop to eliminate any doubt that’s all.

I appreciate you coming up with a video. You don’t see many of this often discussed recording and I think it’s because it’s so hard to capture in an iPhone format.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have one
A direct to disk LP

It sounded very good and clean on Halcro and vivid .
It was a dealer demo in Tilburg

Sorry, this video sounds miserable in my hardwired USB headphones The drums impact is completely wrong and monotonous. Cymbals sound like an hammer on a metallic pot lid. I must listen to it with a bluetooth headphone, probably the low quality link will make it listenable.
I hope that the the King James Version DD was not available for demo, I love the recording! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Buy other/ better headphones .simple

Please post a video of your own system , so we can all luster on how good it sounds.
And loud the F toole system approach.

I posted my opinion and explained why. Sorry, I am not interested in posting videos.

Many years ago I exchanged flac audio files of needle drops with other people. I recorded the output of the preamplifier with a Korg MR2000s digital recorder. It was an interesting and meaningful exercise. Apologies, but do not expect me to loose my time making mobile phone videos.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I posted my opinion and explained why. Sorry, I am not interested in posting videos.

Many years ago I exchanged flac audio files of needle drops with other people. I recorded the output of the preamplifier with a Korg MR2000s digital recorder. It was an interesting and meaningful exercise. Apologies, but do not expect me to loose my time making mobile phone videos.

Given this approach, I find it quite interesting that you nevertheless comment on other people’s videos.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Given this approach, I find it quite interesting that you nevertheless comment on other people’s videos.
Yes, you are right, I am guilty of opening an exception - the old main topic was interesting, I am always interested in contributions by BruceB and I clicked the video. My opinion was not on videos, but on the particular sound of this one. The BruceB FIM CD sounds very good on my modest USB headphones.

Anyway, I consider that any member is always free to post his opinion on any subject in WBF. Please go on posting on your preferred activities, tweaks and streaming. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing