What's the difference between a good room and an amazing room?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Amir,

Definitely not as sophisticated as what Keith did for you but I just followed what was tried and true for our sound stages. 35% larger vents, insulated and larger diffusers. To make sure there is circulation, the uptake is spec'ed practically identically and positioned on the opposite side of the room. It moves the same volume of air as standard noisy specs but does it with lower pressure in and out. :)

caesar

May 30, 2010
1. Silence

2. Flat in the midrange

3. A touch of bass lift (to taste)

4. A slight drop off in treble (to taste)

5. Short Reverberation Times again to taste. In my case .4 is the sweet spot

6. Does not ignore the ceilings (in my experience, the most common oversight)

7. Silence!

Thanks, Jack. Your room looks amazing from the pictures. What did you do to control the reverberation times?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi

There are a few rooms that I find reallly awesome.. Marty's is spectacular , there is a friend of Marty's, he has custom line source speakers and VAC electronics, that is out of this world beautiful.. There are also Jack D 201's room and of course, Mike and Steve's ... All great rooms ..
lately I have tended not to fish too far for explanations. The better rooms have of course good acoustics and often more than adequate isolation from external noise... They are quiet .. Not too quiet to make people uncomfortable but enough to truly enjoy music or a good conversation. I remember very well, that some definitely non-audiophile friends liking to discuss in my 2-ch room rather than my living Room: They found it more cozy although it was much larger than the Living room ... It could be a case of acoustics rather than Feng Shui unless Feng also involves acoustics ...

Thanks, Frantz. From your friends' rooms, did you get a sense of % absorption vs. % diffusion?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Another room that has the aesthetics and sonics done right is Winston Ma's room. If ever you get the chance to visit, leap at it. It's probably the best sounding room I have ever been in - detailed without being over neutral or cold. Winston calls it sonorous - rich and full but not warm and bloated. Unlike other damped rooms, it is extremely quiet, but doesn't make my ears ring. I get tinnitus in an anechoic chamber.

I have to echo what Gary said probably 10 fold. I have actually taken some of my gear over to Winston's room and mastered 2 of his albums right there while Winston was sitting behind me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have to echo what Gary said probably 10 fold. I have actually taken some of my gear over to Winston's room and mastered 2 of his albums right there while Winston was sitting behind me.

Bruce,
Do you know of any description/pictures of it on the net?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Jack. Your room looks amazing from the pictures. What did you do to control the reverberation times?

The usual ceasar, a mix of absorption and diffusion. It's a percentage of surface coverage with absorbers tuned to various frequencies of the spectrum strategically placed and diffusion to try and get uniform balance throughout the space. Unlike what's usually trumpeted by some on the net, first reflections is only a part of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing