What Is It That You Are A Collector Of

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When my parents took me to flea markets when I was a teenager — my mother collected powder bottles and my father collected milk bottles — I started collecting antique cameras like the Kodak 3A folding bellows camera. That small collection is long gone, unfortunately.

Now I do not collect anything. (I don’t conceive of acquiring LPs and tapes as standalone collection hobbies.)

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
With little expectation of reviving the dead thread. . .

I'll just add that I have been collecting vintage English tobacco pipes for a number of years, most of mine date from around 1930 to the 1950s, with the most recent dated pipe being a 1967 unsmoked Dunhill panel - the last year Dunhills were handmade. I'd like to keep most of them, but these days I'm tempted to begin selling off the entire collection, with the exception of one or two my children would want to have. A sample 1954 Dunhill Tanshell in near mint is shown below.

Attachments

• 54 Tanshell.jpg
    54 Tanshell.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 54 Tanshell 5.jpg
    54 Tanshell 5.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 54 Tanshell 4.jpg
    54 Tanshell 4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 3

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Hadn't seen this thread before. I was a collector of Led Zeppelin memorabilia for a long time and used to buy on a regular basis original concert posters, ticket stubs and programmes along with promotional items. I've also got genuine autographs some I've managed to get in person except for John Bonham although I do have his.

I no longer collect LZ memorabilia but still have it all mainly because the prices over recent years has seen some of this stuff go through the roof and I can no longer justify it

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
Hi to all,

I am collecting old sports cars & coupes. I have 3 cars currently . I'm trying to increase my collection but because all my children are still studying this hobby takes a backseat. Our audio hobby also prevents me from going full blast w/ my car hobby. One drawback of the car collecting hobby is the limit to were one can store them & finding the time to drive & enjoy these beautiful cars. I only have 3 collectible cars but am finding it hard to find time to drive & unleash the beast in them because of my practice & family. I wonder how other car guys drive/ enjoy them when even some of them have more than 10 cars in their stable.
I use to collect die cast collectible cars but once you start collecting the real thing this hobby fades into the background.
I'm surprise there are no forum members who collect vintage Ferrari 's & Porsche 911 's, or old Mercedes Benz & BMW's . Because members of WBF are the most sophisticated individuals I had came across compared to other audio forums .

Tdh888
If you don't mind me asking, what cars do you have. I have a 1979 Rolls-Royce that I have owned for 35 years. I was seriously in the market for a 1921 to 1926 Springfield Silver Ghost for several years before I lost my ability to drive for health reasons. Found myself bidding on one at an auction last September. What was I thinking?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
With little expectation of reviving the dead thread. . .

I'll just add that I have been collecting vintage English tobacco pipes for a number of years, most of mine date from around 1930 to the 1950s, with the most recent dated pipe being a 1967 unsmoked Dunhill panel - the last year Dunhills were handmade. I'd like to keep most of them, but these days I'm tempted to begin selling off the entire collection, with the exception of one or two my children would want to have. A sample 1954 Dunhill Tanshell in near mint is shown below.
I have a collection of Italian made pipes (Castello and Rinaldo.)

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I have a collection of Italian made pipes (Castello and Rinaldo.)
Nice! I love the Italian pipes. I have a Ser Jacopo Coral Dot half-bent, blast that is close to the best smoking pipe in my collection. I'd have a hard time parting with it. Everything about it is just superlative.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
If you don't mind me asking, what cars do you have. I have a 1979 Rolls-Royce that I have owned for 35 years. I was seriously in the market for a 1921 to 1926 Springfield Silver Ghost for several years before I lost my ability to drive for health reasons. Found myself bidding on one at an auction last September. What was I thinking?
Sorry for the late reply , currently have an 89 Porsche 911 Turbo , an 88 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet and an 84 BMW 635CSI Euro model w/c I sold Jan of last year . Got my self a Mazda ND MX 5 w/ Manual transmission and its a joy to drive . No longer an hair dresser car .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing