Audiophile Fuses

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I believe in after market fuses and use them in various spots in my system. However, the main 5amp fuse for my Rogue Stereo 90 blows every time I try an upgraded ceramic audiophile fuse. Apparently this can happen with some amps, Acme Audio Labs for example, states that “some equipment with no inrush protection will destroy ceramic body fuses”. Their fuse lasted 5 minutes in my amp. SR fuses lasted a few weeks, same with Hi Fi Tuning. The original glass fuse that came with the amp has lasted over 15 years.
Anyone make a high end glass fuse?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I believe in after market fuses and use them in various spots in my system. However, the main 5amp fuse for my Rogue Stereo 90 blows every time I try an upgraded ceramic audiophile fuse. Apparently this can happen with some amps, Acme Audio Labs for example, states that “some equipment with no inrush protection will destroy ceramic body fuses”. Their fuse lasted 5 minutes in my amp. SR fuses lasted a few weeks, same with Hi Fi Tuning. The original glass fuse that came with the amp has lasted over 15 years.
Anyone make a high end glass fuse?

My experience is that short of a power surge, fuses typically blow immediately on start up, not after five minutes. But then maybe driving an amp to high levels can do that, if that's what you're doing. Otherwise, it makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on in your system.

Most better aftermarket fuses use glass, afaik. The problem with SR and perhaps one or two others -- not sure -- is that they are not made to standard industry specs. SR owners learned early on that with gear that has an initial power surge, one has to go up one value or 25%, and sometimes more (SR privately encourages it). Someone may pipe in about the dangers of that, but in fact many, if not most, developers already spec their fuse amperages two or four times above what the circuit actually needs to accommodate the variety of user situations and to prevent unnecessary audition or warranty returns. It may be that your amp's developer is not one of those.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
65 pages is too much to read. I am about to get a pair of Hifi Supreme copper fuses. Thats my budget. I'm not making a mistake??? I have tried AMR gold in the past. They are ok. I don't know they improved anything. I don't want to go backwards from a glass fuse at $99 each at VH Audio.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I am about to get a pair of Hifi Supreme copper fuses. Thats my budget. I'm not making a mistake???
They are colored relative to the SR fuses, but a big step up from stock fuses. You should be able to purchase them at no risk with a return policy.

What size are you needing?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
65 pages is too much to read. I am about to get a pair of Hifi Supreme copper fuses. Thats my budget. I'm not making a mistake??? I have tried AMR gold in the past. They are ok. I don't know they improved anything. I don't want to go backwards from a glass fuse at $99 each at VH Audio.

If $104 is not too much, the SR Orange would likely be a better choice. They are 35% off for those in stock at the Cable Co. until the end of the month. Depending on the use, it would be prudent to choose at least one value up or 25%. See https://www.thecableco.com/specials/orange-fuse-price-reduction-save-35.html. At VH Audio, they are only 30% off, which is strange because the promo is SR's.

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@Kingrex What are you putting them in. Audiophile fuese try to improve sound by being less of a limitation on power to the component. So obviously higher power components benefit most and low power components with good power supplies often don't benefit at all. One thing you can do to test if an audiophile fuse will help is to replace the fuse temporarily with a jumper such as a short peice of 5mm copper rod. If that doesn't make any improvement then an audiophile fuse certainly won't. But generally you will hear a marked improvement in an amp. I can't comment on the specific fuses you are looking at. --Jerry

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
@Kingrex What are you putting them in. Audiophile fuese try to improve sound by being less of a limitation on power to the component. So obviously higher power components benefit most and low power components with good power supplies often don't benefit at all. One think you can do to test if an audiophile fuse will help is to replace the fuse temporarily with a jumper such as a short peice of 5mm copper rod. If that doesn't make any improvement then an audiophile fuse certainly won't. But generally you will hear a marked improvement in an amp. I can't comment on the specific fuses you are looking at. --Jerry

That's not at all my experience. For example, the use of a 1A SR Orange in an LPS made a noticeable difference. I know you've been pushing jumpers, and a tech who understands and modifies and builds circuits for a living got rid of the one in my Oppo 203 as part of a mod. But I think for most people that aren't so technically knowledgeable it opens the possibility of something bad happening, which of course would be on their dime.

Reactions: kennyb123

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I need 20mm 4 amp slow blow. Going into tube minoblocks. Very alive and clean, natural sound. Dynamic and fast. I want to keep that. I don't think I want to accentuate anything. Really not sure till I hear where ot goes.

I am a big advocate of copper as I find it neutral. I was actually worried about the HiFi Supreme Silver for just that reason. Silver can go many directions. Neutral is usually not one of them.

I would actually be interested to know what people think of their silver fuses after a year. The tarnish that develops quickly can be edgy and hard. I wonder if anyone pulls their fuse after a year and listens to a fresh one to see if it has changed.
I thought about Orange. Some forum chatter say that are a tad more veilied and lack a touch of life compared to the Hifi Supreme. But I have no idea.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I had the Supreme early on and the Orange much later, and in different systems, so never a direct a direct comparison. Although generally, my choice in fuses led to better and better sound, so I take kennyb's comment as good coin. I thought the Orange, with a welcome bit of warmth, a wonderful antidote to SR's Blue coolness, which I couldn't live with. I also prefer copper over silver and rhodium (I don't believe there's any silver in my system currently, although that might change with a tube adapter on the way). Someone used to or preferring a fuse or any component without warmth ("neutral") will often experience one with as veiled. That's because "neutral" voicing typically emphasizes transparency, etc. To my tastes, a little bit of warmth, just enough, is emotionally involving, while neutral never is. I used to argue about it, but then realized...to each their own goût.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If anyone wants to part (used or new I don't care) with SR Orange Slow blow 5A small housing pls ping me via PM

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I had every round of SR fuses - SR20, black, blue and then Red. Skipped Orange and Purple. I am tempted to get the Master series but we are really getting up there in price.

I tried a few other fuses that were cheaper, like the AMR gold series. The AMR just a different flavour of sound, not necessarily better.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Dear all,

I am a sceptic by nature and didn't think fuses can make a big difference but due to the relatively low cost and good results reported by trustworthy people, i ordered some entry level fuses to try.

Got the fuses below yesterday and put them in my Nagra MPS power supply and amplifier. To my surprise, in the Power supply, Nagra had already factory installed an AMR Gold fuse, so I upgraded to the one I ordered.
IMG_0427.jpeg
Today i only started listening for about an hour only and I can confidently report already that there is a difference. I am not exactly sure what it is but it seems that there is more contrast or layering in the music. The bass is not deeper but appears abruptly and decays faster than before.

I will report after a couple of weeks in more detail about the results but beyond any expectations I had, I feel it's a couple hundred well spent for a not so insignificant improvement.

Cheers,
J.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Dear all,

I am a sceptic by nature and didn't think fuses can make a big difference but due to the relatively low cost and good results reported by trustworthy people, i ordered some entry level fuses to try.

Got the fuses below yesterday and put them in my Nagra MPS power supply and amplifier. To my surprise, in the Power supply, Nagra had already factory installed an AMR Gold fuse, so I upgraded to the one I ordered.
View attachment 122895
Today i only started listening for about an hour only and I can confidently report already that there is a difference. I am not exactly sure what it is but it seems that there is more contrast or layering in the music. The bass is not deeper but appears abruptly and decays faster than before.

I will report after a couple of weeks in more detail about the results but beyond any expectations I had, I feel it's a couple hundred well spent for a not so insignificant improvement.

Cheers,
J.

Good for you, and look forward to your report. A couple of weeks with constant power to the fuses will give a good picture. What also catches my attention is that you chose one that is lower in the QSA line and noticed immediate improvements vs. the AMR Gold. Let's hope some of the nay-sayers are listening.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Good for you, and look forward to your report. A couple of weeks with constant power to the fuses will give a good picture. What also catches my attention is that you chose one that is lower in the QSA line and noticed immediate improvements vs. the AMR Gold. Let's hope some of the nay-sayers are listening.
Thank you, happy with what I hear so far. To note is that I replaced the standard 5A fuse in the amplifier as well. So I am not sure about the A-B comparison with the AMR fuse in the power supply.

If I find time to spare I might investigate that.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thank you, happy with what I hear so far. To note is that I replaced the standard 5A fuse in the amplifier as well. So I am not sure about the A-B comparison with the AMR fuse in the power supply.

If I find time to spare I might investigate that.

If it's not too much trouble, run both in for a couple of weeks and then pull one and listen, then the other. In principle, I would think the power supply one would have the biggest effect, but will be interesting to hear.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Dear all,

View attachment 122895

Cheers,
J.
I am sure you are aware but the QSA fuses really are directional. I don't know why nor can I explain it. You put the fuse in one direction and if the sound is nasally or just doesn't sound quite right then try flipping the fuse around. Of course you could just get lucky and get it right the first time (50/50 chance). The QSA fuses also have a break-in period like any other power product. 3 days should do it. Run you component for 3 days. Then take the fuse out and put the old one back in if you want the full effect comparison.

For me, I don't know how I could spend $200 and achieve a better result than the QSA yellow fuse. I think the Violet is really the sweet spot but the price jumps up a good bit. If you want an OMG moment then put in the red/black. It won't just be OMG why does a fuse remotely cost this much money but rather how much effect it has on the sound.

I am sure I will get flamed by someone for these comments about fuses. Oh well.

Reactions: Steveo

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I am sure you are aware but the QSA fuses really are directional. I don't know why nor can I explain it. You put the fuse in one direction and if the sound is nasally or just doesn't sound quite right then try flipping the fuse around. Of course you could just get lucky and get it right the first time (50/50 chance). The QSA fuses also have a break-in period like any other power product. 3 days should do it. Run you component for 3 days. Then take the fuse out and put the old one back in if you want the full effect comparison.

For me, I don't know how I could spend $200 and achieve a better result than the QSA yellow fuse. I think the Violet is really the sweet spot but the price jumps up a good bit. If you want an OMG moment then put in the red/black. It won't just be OMG why does a fuse remotely cost this much money but rather how much effect it has on the sound.

From experience and talking to developers, it seems that all or virtually all aftermarket fuses of the kind we discuss here are directional; it's just a matter of whether that's determined in design/production or arises as a matter of use. Typically, if there's no arrow, then the direction is as the text on cover reads, i.e., left to right or back to front, depending on the fuse holder set up. About time, I've burned in a few dozen fuses, including seven QSA's -- red, red-black -- and found w/o exception that they don't settle per sound until at least 250-300 hours of power. Just like everything else. I keep track daily, and enjoy and suffer through that time -- it builds character ;)

Reactions: Phon@ix

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich

Hello,
Thanks for the advice, appreciated. The proper direction is from outlet to the device, right? My fuse holder looks like the below , hence i presumed i have to put the fuse in with arrow up. Am i missing any ambiguity here, do i have to test it?
1704496693591.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing