Audiophile Fuses

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I really expected to get more of a response from the objectivist measurement crowd. Especially the part about cryogenics. Just not as easy to bait them anymore.:p

It's hardly worth a reply. You could cut out "Critical Link Fuses" and paste in just about any pseudo-science tweak of the last couple of decades and not change another word. Too easy.

P

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Myles, With respect:

"...Yet, in other parts of the audio world, there are few signs of progress. Reviewers continue to ignore the scientific method, and a few even disparage those who follow it. Measurements are not a requirement for product reviews, and those that are seen cover a wide range from almost useless to quite impressive. Sometime there are amusing examples of evasive writing when the technical data suggests something that runs contrary to the subjective component of the review..."

"...The debate gives no indication of slowing down, with periodic assaults from the subjective reviewing side and some animated debates in International Discussion groups. This is the segment of the audio industry that is aptly described as "faith-based". If you believe something, there is a possibility that you will hear it, and if you hear it, nothing can persuade you that, in a fully sighted evaluation, you might have been mistaken. If there is a resolution to this matter, it may require the recruitment of resources outside the domains of physics and engineering."

And just out of curiosity, aren't you even curious about your results?

Quoted from F.E. Tool, "Sound Reproduction" 2008

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I did read Myles review and from the start I knew what he conclusion was going to be ... In the way of technical descriptions there were much one could debate but these have already debated here so ....

My take on this is that One doesn't need to spend so much on fuses if low DC resistance and ceramic body is what one is after... Many will convince themselves that those fuses make a "huge" difference. In the end if one wants to improve one's system, I would advise respectfully to look toward the room, trying to find a way to integrate the usually unsightly room treatments products within one regular living quarters ... then with the money left, make the donation to the makers of your favorite audiophile, faith-based tweaks ...

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Anybody has compare hifi tuning to furutech fuse? I have not try any but according to my audio buddy, he prefers furutech

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Any "signal junction" can alter the signal passing throug it. I have seen this demonstrated with cables on an oscilliscope. The fuse and its holder is a "junction." This is one of the reasons I beleive the cable connector is as important as the cable itself.To the extent it is audible and how you deal with it is another question.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Any "signal junction" can alter the signal passing throug it. I have seen this demonstrated with cables on an oscilliscope. The fuse and its holder is a "junction." This is one of the reasons I beleive the cable connector is as important as the cable itself.To the extent it is audible and how you deal with it is another question.

What exactly are you trying to say?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What exactly are you trying to say?

In my electronics there is a fuse and a fuse holder. That junction probably introduces some noise into the signal. Whether that noise can be eliminated by a better fuse, a better fuse holder or both is unknown to me. I wuld like to see some measurements on that issue.o

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I agree, in my experience , a fuse in the cathod of a 300B out put tube of a phono stage got a funny noise even with a by pass cap there, no fuse should in the sound path or decouple path, direct is the best, so my tonearm cable is long enough from cartridge solder to phono amp

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I agree, in my experience , a fuse in the cathode of a 300B out put tube of a phono stage got a funny noise even with a by pass cap there, no fuse should in the sound path or decouple path, direct is the best, so my tonearm cable is long enough from cartridge solder to phono amp
tomy ma

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am curious about something:

I wonder why they use a picture of a diode with parallel capacitor to represent the fuse. Does this thing really use a diode as a protection mechanism? If not, what is the explanation for the symbol? I don't recall fuses being represented that way (it is usually a wavy symbol).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Probably to denote that they "directional" as the reviews claim - meaning - and I find this hard to believe - they sound different one way than the other

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
The HiFi fuses work. I could probably identify them in a blind test. I prefer the gold plated version. Collectively, they make a significant impact. If you cannot hear it, then good for you. Unfortunately, I can.

I tried the new Hifi Supreme fuses and didn't like them. I tried both directions - the arrow pointing into the component gave a tighter, more focused presentation. Pointing outward, the sound seemed more diffuse.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"... Reviewers continue to ignore the scientific method, and a few even disparage those who follow it. Measurements are not a requirement for product reviews, and those that are seen cover a wide range from almost useless to quite impressive.

Quoted from F.E. Tool, "Sound Reproduction" 2008

I have not read this book, but this sentence triggers a question: and manufacturers? Should not they be supposed to supply measurements and complete accurate data sheets of their products? Is the minimum they usually supply enough?

Once again, I regret that some one with an engineering formation can hope or pretend that an hifi review can be carried using the "scientific method". The scientific method is a set of strict rules that are used to prove an hypothesis. What is the hypothesis to be proved in review? A review is an opinion, not a scientific paper.

I also like to see technical details in reviews, but the information I take from them is very limited. Who in this forum has bought high end equipment just from reading the specifications and not listening to the equipment?

BTW, using an Audio Precision, a RTA or even a multimeter does not imply you are following "the scientific method". You are just taking data ... :D

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
I will concede that the directionality issue may be difficult to reproduce in a blind test. Access to the fuses are difficult, so I cannot go back-and-forth very easily. In my quick test, it was somewhat akin to the difference of inverting phase (ha-ha). The controversy of fuse direction has been debated ad nauseum, in other forums. It probably will not be solved here. The only thing you can do is try and see if you hear something.

The difference in fuse quality and metals is definitely audible. I believe they are a very cost-effective tweak, in the grand scheme of things.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing