Please write an equipment review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone.

I have a request for you :). One of the great assets of forums like ours are as means to research a product before buying it. With so many brands out there, and unfortunately so little retail presence showing them, online research has become critical. And the voice of a fellow hobbyist more important than that of a salesman.

So how about taking a piece of equipment you have and writing a review on it? It doesn't have to be long. I have written some very short ones that are just 3 to 5 paragraphs and yet, they get lots of hits because so little information is available otherwise.

To help people find them using search engines, please use the word "Review" in the title of the post and in the post itself. If it is a short review, call it "Mini Review."

With the shopping season almost upon us, I think this would be a great way to make sure our fellow members and visitors have the most information to help our economy move forward. Oh, I mean buy something nice for themselves. :D

Thanks a bunch.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Amir, great suggestion for a thread:cool::cool:

I am expecting to take delivery of a REL T5 sub in the next week or so. This sub has gotten a fair bit of press recently, and I would very much like to write a quick review of it once I have a little mileage behind it. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gladly Amir. I will however limit reviews of products in your new section to products I currently own that are not products we carry for obvious reasons.

One question. Do they have to be in current production or are discontinued products acceptable?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gladly Amir. I will however limit reviews of products in your new section to products I currently own that are not products we carry for obvious reasons.

One question. Do they have to be in current production or are discontinued products acceptable?
All product reviews are welcome. We just want to avoid re-writes of marketing material from vendors.

I suspect there is much more demand and interest in current production gear.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, great suggestion for a thread:cool::cool:

I am expecting to take delivery of a REL T5 sub in the next week or so. This sub has gotten a fair bit of press recently, and I would very much like to write a quick review of it once I have a little mileage behind it. :)
That would be great. Thanks for doing it. You too Bob. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
While I am here, let me add a few ideas for making reviews more interesting:

1. Link to the full specification on vendor site so that people can read more. Ditto for any professional reviews.

2. Link to a picture. Go to the vendor site. Right click on a picture and select, Copy URL or whatever your browser says to extract a link to it. Then here, just past that link.

3. Personal pictures are even nicer than vendor ones sometimes. Try to take pictures of the insides, back interconnects, etc. that are of interest but not usually found. Google image search is often used to find these images.

4. Separate the plus and minus section. I often use "+" for positives and "-" for negatives. Truth to be told, I am too lazy to follow this scheme :). But it is useful when done orderly.

5. Some kind of conclusion would be nice.

6. People like comparisons. So if you have a reference, use it.

7. Fun detail is always appreciated such as stories related to your purchase, history with the brand/product line, etc.

8. Try to not abbreviate too much. And if you are, then mention the full word at least once. Google doesn't know "sub" and "subwoofer" are the same things. We want people to find the reviews regardless of which term is used by them.

9. If you know the MSRP, please state it. I often find it hard to find out how much something costs. What used to be a standard item on manufacturer's web site, no longer is.

All of this is optional of course. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mmm... What can I review? ...Interconnects, Surround Sound Processor, Speaker Wires, Blu-ray Player, 3D HDTV Plasma, ...?

Yeah, the last one would be swell, as it is a brand new model from this year.
Yup, that's what I'm working on now, my 3D HDTV Plasma set. Cool! :cool:
...And with that 3D stuff too, you know from those 3D Blu-ray movies... ;)

Gimme a week or so (I wanna do a good job).
And please, nobody steals my idea now (of the product I'll be reviewing). :p

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Review all of them Bob :). Seriously, I like to see a lot more reviews than a single super long one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
While I am here, let me add a few ideas for making reviews more interesting:

1. Link to the full specification on vendor site so that people can read more. Ditto for any professional reviews.

2. Link to a picture. Go to the vendor site. Right click on a picture and select, Copy URL or whatever your browser says to extract a link to it. Then here, just past that link.

3. Personal pictures are even nicer than vendor ones sometimes. Try to take pictures of the insides, back interconnects, etc. that are of interest but not usually found. Google image search is often used to find these images.

4. Separate the plus and minus section. I often use "+" for positives and "-" for negatives. Truth to be told, I am too lazy to follow this scheme :). But it is useful when done orderly.

5. Some kind of conclusion would be nice.

6. People like comparisons. So if you have a reference, use it.

7. Fun detail is always appreciated such as stories related to your purchase, history with the brand/product line, etc.

8. Try to not abbreviate too much. And if you are, then mention the full word at least once. Google doesn't know "sub" and "subwoofer" are the same things. We want people to find the reviews regardless of which term is used by them.

9. If you know the MSRP, please state it. I often find it hard to find out how much something costs. What used to be a standard item on manufacturer's web site, no longer is.

All of this is optional of course. :)

Amir,
Can I add something?

10. List the recordings you used for reviewing. It helps understanding the review, and suggestions of great music are always welcome!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Review all of them Bob :). Seriously, I like to see a lot more reviews than a single super long one.

Well, with audio/video electronics and technology advancing at the speed of light, the stuff you review today is obsolete by tomorrow.

And most of my stuff, if not all, is already obsolete.

Us, audiophile vagabonds, we like to talk more about the future than what's behind us.
And it's just the nature of our hobbies.

What we truly like is something new in our life.

I can write about a bunch of products I own/owned over the years, but not only it'll be boring for me, but probably for you guys as well.

All of us here, we all have a common determining factor, and it's the new audio frontier, the exploration and the revelation of sound improvement; the verisimilitude towards a better and happier world, the Sound of the Soul conquest.

And that's what I want mainly talk 'bout.

I'm not here to bore other people, I'm here on a quest for new discoveries and best values of life; Audio wise, Video wise, and all that Jazz wise. Meaning Everything and within the entire planet and from all people...

I really appreciate your optimism Amir, and the great people you are inside and outside, and for me, that is the ultimate challenge in life; to see clear, and appreciate the good, the very Best.

Just to be a member here at WBF and having the privilege in getting to know most of you here, that in itself is the better review ever.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...With pictures.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What about some graphs from the Osciloscope?..?.. :)

(...just kidding...)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've been thinking...

And I listened to what Amir said...

And I decided, eventually to write several reviews; not extra long ones but short ones, right to the point.
Because that way I can cover more ground about many products, and reach more people.
And also because it is more a good overall background check on the reviewer and his listening habit with the music that emotionally turns him on, and the movies too.

But because right now I am visiting several doctors, and I have to take care of physical business, it'll have to wait until I feel better and my mind and head are clear.
But this is positively motivating and it gives me hope...

And I also want to encourage others to do what Amir suggested here in this very positive thread, because it will help develop new and better skills among us, and benefit all of us as well.
It'll give us a new fresh perspective which will accelerate our knowledge.

I can truly see this thread becoming one of the most interesting threads ever...

And I don't have to tell you how important the music material we listen to is. Be it on albums (LPs), or CDs (& SACDs). ...Streaming too, at high resolution.
And same with the movies (Blu-rays preferably, but including DVDs, and Streaming as well).
And also by describing our environment (our listening or/and viewing room), and all the gear we use, so others can have a firm grip on what is at stakes, or what we're talkin' 'bout, or where we're comin' from, or/and all that Jazz...

And also the exploration of great new music recordings out there by the grand music maestros; be it Classical, Opera, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Soul, Alternative, New Age, Electronica, Rock, or World music...

*** I did some' similar in another forum(s), and it was a very good challenge, and also a good eye opener.
And even if people don't respond much, they still read and truly appreciate. ...And we learn how to be more objective and precise. ...How to communicate with the same audio/video language as the readers. ...Audiophiles/Videophiles or not.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Sorry, I thought people on the other side of the pond used that term! Yes, stands for doctors, just like "shrinks", etc.

Hmmm, a review, maybe of an obselete Philips HT system, could go down a treat ...:D

Sorry, best I could I do is of some current Naim gear belonging to the friend. But that wouldn't be fair, because of the amount of mod'ing done to the system overall.

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing