Firmware Update

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like there is a new update with useful fixes: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-50-0424.aspx

This version is designed for both the standard BDP-83 and the BDP-83 Special Edition. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-48-1224, the major changes included in this version are:

Traditional splash screen. When there is no disc playing, the player shows the OPPO background screen instead of the "Home Menu". The "Home Menu" can be accessed by pressing the "Home" button on the remote control.

Improvement to MKV compatibility. Some MKV files do not play or play with severe video artifacts when using previous firmware. This version improves the playback of such files.

Fix for the SACD pops/crackles issue. Some users have reported hearing pops or crackles between SACD tracks. This issue happens to certain discs that have data frames that are not aligned with track boundaries. This version removes such pops or crackles.

Revision of the RS-232 control protocol. If the player is equipped with the RS-232 wired control option, the new protocol adds three verbose modes to enable command echo back, automatic status update and automatic program counter update. For a complete list of RS-232 protocols please refer to the OPPO BDP-83 RS-232 Control Protocol V2 document.

Improved volume control function for the analog audio output. Volume control was previously implemented using the DSP (Digital Signal Processor). This version utilizes the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chips to perform volume control. This change brings the following benefits:

Fix for the subwoofer hum that happens when the player's volume is set to less than 100 while outputting SACD in DSD format over HDMI;

Volume control in DSD mode for SACD. Previously volume control does not work for DSD mode. With this version, all analog audio outputs of the BDP-83SE and the dedicated stereo output of the BDP-83 can apply volume control in DSD mode. (Note: OPPO recommends setting the player's volume at 100 and using the volume control of your amplifier or receiver.)

Fix for a compatibility issue with Sherwood Newcastle R774 A/V receiver. The issue was no audio signal over HDMI when playing a CD.

Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

Minor changes to BD-Live and BD-Java behavior. Erasing the persistent storage from the setup menu now erases both downloaded BD-Live contents and Java-based bookmarks. BD-Live access is set to off after resetting factory default settings. If you prefer to have BD-Live access, please turn it on from the setup menu.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Anyone else have problems with Oppo HDMI and RCA outputs being out of sync with Blue Ray movies?

Hi Albert,

I posed your quested "verbatim" to some friends who seem to be pretty much in the know about Oppo players, and here is the response:

Any specific discs? Some discs have had sync errors (Saving Private Ryan was recalled for that). Also, is he asking about HDMI being out of sync with analog, or both being equally out of sync with video? The player has some lip sync adjustments available that only affect the analog audio output, and the distance settings in speaker setup also only affect the analog.

Hope it helps. If not, PM me or pose any further questions here and I'll try to get you some answers.

John

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Any specific discs? Some discs have had sync errors (Saving Private Ryan was recalled for that). Also, is he asking about HDMI being out of sync with analog, or both being equally out of sync with video? The player has some lip sync adjustments available that only affect the analog audio output, and the distance settings in speaker setup also only affect the analog.

Disc was "UP" the Pixar movie in Blue Ray format. Analog and HDMI out of sync with each other. Lip sync could pass for either feed but together caused an echo.

I was trying to use TV speakers for center fill (via HDMI to TV) and my stereo for main sound (via RCA) from Oppo.

I had this same problem with AT&T U-verse. HDMI to TV was out of sync with analog RCA out. Similar delay (echo) with both AT&T box with TV and Oppo with Blue Ray.

Maybe there is a consistent incompatibility with HDMI and analog.

gonk

Jun 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
www.prillaman.net
Disc was "UP" the Pixar movie in Blue Ray format. Analog and HDMI out of sync with each other. Lip sync could pass for either feed but together caused an echo.

I was trying to use TV speakers for center fill (via HDMI to TV) and my stereo for main sound (via RCA) from Oppo.

I had this same problem with AT&T U-verse. HDMI to TV was out of sync with analog RCA out. Similar delay (echo) with both AT&T box with TV and Oppo with Blue Ray.

Maybe there is a consistent incompatibility with HDMI and analog.
John sent me a link to this thread. What you are experiencing is not the fault of either source component (BDP-83 or U-verse box). The HDMI and analog audio signals are taking very different signal paths, and each is being processed separately and in different ways. It will be impossible to get both perfectly in sync. The analog out from the player can be delayed by the BDP-83 to compensate for speaker placement and for any video processing downstream of the player that creates a video delay, depending on how you set the AV sync and speaker distance settings in the player setup menu. Since you are using stereo analog output, it is may be converted back to digital by your receiver, where it undergoes bass management and time delay adjustments that introduce some intentional delays as well as probably some very minute unintentional ones. Even if your receiver is an analog-only unit, though, there are still problems possible due to the HDMI signal path. The HDMI signal is converted to analog by the TV with minimal processing (no bass management, no distance adjustments), but depending on the TV it may be delayed to compensate for the TV's internal video processing. By the time both signals are amplified and sent to speakers, it is inevitable that they have drifted out of sync.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Too bad the two cannot operate in sync, it would be nice to use the TV speakers for a bit of fill.

Since that's a dead issue, I'll use the TV for broadcast and crank up the stereo equipment only for important movies. I no longer have movie processor or any kind of receiver. Components not only all analog, they are discrete and tube except for Blue Ray.

I also tried to use a small 100 WPC Rotel integrated, fed from AT&T U-verse box and sync the overall volume with the TV. I got volume sync levels perfect but same maddening echo. Not that it matters now, but the Rotel powered B&W Nautilus in wall speakers which made for a great pseudo surround for regular TV.

I finally sold the Rotel and gave up now I'm repeating the issue with Oppo Blue Ray plus TV. No, I won't sell the Oppo but it's frustrating that the two formats (analog and digital) cannot work together.

gonk

Jun 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
www.prillaman.net
Unfortunately it's something that would take some specific engineering at each piece of the signal path (not just in the source component) to have a good chance of achieving. There is a lot that happens under the hood with HDMI, even without considering what happens when you have two audio streams being processed in different components.

If you really wanted to try it, you might be able to get it to work by using the stereo analog outputs to feed your audio system and the left/right channels of the 7.1 output to feed your TV. You would need to set all speaker distances to 0 in the BDP-83, make sure there was no AV sync being applied, and hope that the TV doesn't try to apply any audio delay to analog inputs.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Unfortunately it's something that would take some specific engineering at each piece of the signal path (not just in the source component) to have a good chance of achieving. There is a lot that happens under the hood with HDMI, even without considering what happens when you have two audio streams being processed in different components.

If you really wanted to try it, you might be able to get it to work by using the stereo analog outputs to feed your audio system and the left/right channels of the 7.1 output to feed your TV. You would need to set all speaker distances to 0 in the BDP-83, make sure there was no AV sync being applied, and hope that the TV doesn't try to apply any audio delay to analog inputs.

That's a reasonable suggestion and something I already considered.

The problem is, I don't think my Panasonic Plasma will select HDMI (Blue Ray + U-verse HDTV both via same cable) and alternate RCA sound input at the same time.

I could run RCA component signals from the Oppo and U-verse but the HDMI Oppo switcher-amplifier does such a great job of maintaining signal quality over the 40 foot run to the Plasma I hate to touch it.

Too, even if this solved the Blue Ray problem I still have the U-verse delay. There may be a way to resolve both issues with some high end home theater receiver but I think I'll just leave it as is.

I appreciate your input, it could have been an adjustment or setting I missed but seldom is anything that easy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing