Wish list for Oppo players

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So do folks have a wishlist for Oppo? Seems to me adding HDMI 1.4 support plus 3-D would be one even if one doesn't need it just yet. At the prices they charge, they must offer everything lower priced players do.

Any other things that should be added?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Seeing as hardware mods to make the Oppo's region-free are readily available, and Oppo has said that they will still provide full customer support on even those machines, I'd like to see future models be region-free out of the box.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seeing as hardware mods to make the Oppo's region-free are readily available, and Oppo has said that they will still provide full customer support on even those machines, I'd like to see future models be region-free out of the box.

John
They will lose their blu-ray license if they did that. Unlike DVD where DVD Forum did not attempt to enforce the region coding, I believe BDA enforces it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Regrettably you are correct. It's still a nice "wish" though. IMO it should be opened up as the key to any media's success is access to product.

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Regrettably you are correct. It's still a nice "wish" though. IMO it should be opened up as the key to any media's success is access to product.

John
We almost got there. In DVD Forum, it was decidedly voted to have HD DVD not have region coding. Warner backed us strongly in that. Unfortunately, the different wind was blowing in BDA and they not only put it in, they also added more enforcement to it.

gonk

Jun 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
www.prillaman.net

John
The BDA's rules prevent manufacturers from including region-free support, and they can pull licenses over it. That's why OPPO didn't include a "secret" code to change region coding, as they did with their DVD players. If the BDA pulled their license to make an example of them, the company would likely not survive. Momitsu tried it for a while (making a player with a factory workaround for region coding), but earlier this year a firmware update quietly removed that feature. I don't anticipate OPPO changing their policy in this regard.

how close is the industry to releasing HDMI 1.5?
Hopefully not close at all, at least if HDMI actually cared about the consumers. HDMI v1.4 is less than a year old and only just now are manufacturers able to get access to the parts needed to build v1.4 hardware, and frankly aside from supporting the new 3D video signals it offered little of value (at least in my opinion). I agree that the next generation of OPPO players will probably need to be v1.4 with 3D support. I don't have any interest in it personally, but market pressures will still dictate they go that way.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I would like to see Oppo take full advantage of the headroom available on the output buffer amps by increasing their gain so that DAC clipping matches up with op-amp clipping AND... re-scale the DSP gain structure so that there is 10dB of headroom left on the DAC when Trims are set to 0dB. That way + values of Trim will not cause the Oppo to clip. And for special situations, like my Fireworks Blu-ray, having the ability to use +10dB trim would help keep the quiet portions of the audio above the noise floor.
The way the Trim function is currently implemented, positive values of these gain trims are useless. Especially with the May 2010 firmware changing the gain control to the DAC. If a disc contains anything approaching 0dBfs signal on it, the Oppo WILL clip the audio, even if the volume control is turned way down low. With the earlier firmware, clipping could be avoided by turning down the master volume with the remote. You could have +3dB trim on the fronts and turn the master down to "70" to be just below clipping of 0dBfs signals. That no longer works with the May firmware.
A better way to implement this would be as I described in the first paragraph.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Have an 83 that I'm happy with, recently bought and LG580 to supplement. Not so much for the HDMI 1.4, but for the network streaming abilities -- primarily Netflix for me, but also Vudu, Pandora etc. Though I can buy a separate box for this, it's very handy to have in the same chassis/same remote as a player and I'd like to see Oppo incorporate this. Outside of that, I don't see why I'd want anything else in a bluray player. I use it only as a transport.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
how close is the industry to releasing HDMI 1.5?
Steve, it's worse than that. To add to the confusion:

So Long HDMI: New Standard for A/V Uses Ethernet Cables

New standard offers both lower costs, the potential to deliver more information and convenience

LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Valens Semiconductor have been secretly conspiring to kill HDMI. And today they set their plans into motion, introducing a brand new audiovisual standard, HDBaseT. While that name may sound confusing, before you slap your head, this will not likely introduce a new kind of cable to your house.

Past A/V standards from industry groups have introduced a plethora of connectors (S-Video, HDMI, DisplayPort for example), so that makes this release all the more unusual. Instead of a new connector, it is based on the Cat 5e/6 network cables, commonly referred to as "ethernet cables".

It supports cable lengths up to 328 feet. The cable can pass HD and 3-D video signals, as well as data through an integrated 100MBit Ethernet connection. That data feed should allow for new internet-connected TV services, such as Google TV which delivers advertising-funded services to TV sets.

The standard also has many other advantages. For one, it will help declutter the growing mess of cables in the average household. By repurposing ethernet cables, it should also dramatically lower costs, both for the manufacturer and the consumer.

About the only loser in the situation may be "premium" cable makers like Monster Cable Products. However, it'll only be a matter of time before Monster finds a way to throw gold or other precious metals into a Cat 6 cable and release it as a "premium" HDBaseT cable.

About the only loose end is what mini-connectors will arise out of this new standard. Currently many smart phones, such as the HTC EVO 4G offer mini-HDMI connections. Perhaps more advanced mini-USB connections will answer that dilemma, though.

The standard will begin its rollout later this year. The majority of its volume will hit in 2011.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18902

Edit: Already discussed by Amir here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...MI-All-Your-Video-Through-CAT6&highlight=hdmi

Last edited:

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Just ordered the BDP 80 from Oppo, just couldn't see going for the 83 price wise. Only watch movies about 3 to 4 times a month. The older DVD player I have is no longer compatible with the widescreen Insignia. So that was the reason for the purchase. At the very least I end up with a hellua CD player. A friend of mine has a BDP 80 using as a CDP only. But any info on the 80 is appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing