Verifying TT/Tonearm/Cartridge settings!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How often do you check your settings? Is this a regular routine for you? And what advice would you give to someone who doesn't really check those settings on a regular basis.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I check them every 6 months to a year whenever I am in a masochistic mood and wish to unleash paroxysms of OC disorder. SME turntables are pretty maintenance free, new belt every two years and a drop of oil at Christmas.

Otherwise, I just try to enjoy the music and adjust to the idea that if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Quick checks such as clamp tightening, needle cleaning, record dusting and suspension clearance are done more or less routinely while playing records.

Changing cartridges, however, it necessary to go into micro management mode until things are stable again or my retentive tendencies go into remission.

I have found when I get too obsessive, I actually start to break styluses and screw things up through excessive manipulation, so I relent as much as possible.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think I pretty much use your maintenance schedule as well. For some reason though I get the impression that some of our resident vinyl fans do this maintenance or verification much more frequently. I'd love to hear from them as well, and more importantly why they do so.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I check settings only when I accidentally nudge my turntable of lightly drop the cuing at the end of the cuing area. These crazy things happen however carefully I have been but first I try to listen if there are any 'disorders' on the sound like skewing of left right channels, center image, etc. It's funny but the power of suggestion sometimes works on me by telling me there must be something wrong with the sound since I nudged the table a bit. Otherwise, I believe that mechanical settings of screws and nuts should not move when there is no significant physical jarring to them. Long time ago, I tried to tighten the screws of my cartridge and just that adjustment changed the sound. So, if I am liking my sound, I don't do anything.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
For tonearm/cartridge settings, I try to get it right, and then forget. But then again, I avoid the arms that have VTA/SRA adjustments while you play. However, because compliance with some cartridges can change with temperature, humidity and age, I do tweak the VTF once in a while.

Then, there's the maintenance - lubricate the belt with Lemon Pledge every 6 months or so. A drop of oil in the bearing every year or so.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Then, there's the maintenance - lubricate the belt with Lemon Pledge every 6 months or so. A drop of oil in the bearing every year or so.

Good you mentioned it, Gary. Yes, I clean my belt, pulley 'groove', and side of the platter where the belt makes contact with. The last one's effect and improvement in sound quality was startling to me. I do this maybe every 3 months. I've found out the my VTF setting on the ET2 to be precise even for years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing