Recommended height for a turntable stand?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A good friend of mine has recently begun another round of upgrades, with the emphasis on bettering his vinyl front-end. As such he bought a Rega P5 with Dynavector 20x2L cartridge, and Sonneteer Sedley phono pre.. He dispays this on a Rega wall-mount, which I personally beleive is the best way to have a turntable mounted. However, that's another discussion. He has insisted that I remove the "mass" of my 5-shelf audio rack (about 38" tall), and get a lower profile unit of perhaps 2 shelves. I could do this as I have a Target 2-shelf unit that's just sitting around. He assures me that by using the smaller stand I will attain in improvement in sound quality, because I have eliminated "mass" (his words).

Now, I see many if you with stands just like mine, so I am not sold on his thinking just yet. Is there any truth to a lower stand potentially creating better sonics? Please forego the isolation discussion here, as we have a thread for that already.

PS: I like the height of my stand for one simple reason. The stand is 38" tall and the top of the TT platter is at 46". Since I suffer from a bad back this height helps to avoid any possible strain or injury.

Thoughts?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Stick with what you have because it works for you and your back. Many turntable stands are mass-loaded like my VPT TNT stand that I now use for my SP-10. The only turntable company I remember that recommended you use a flimsy table to set their flimsy table on was the Linn (just kidding about the flimsy Linn table all of you Linnites). So go tell your friend to pound sand because, well, he probably needs some sand to load down his turntable stand.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Stick with what you have because it works for you and your back. Many turntable stands are mass-loaded like my VPT TNT stand that I now use for my SP-10. The only turntable company I remember that recommended you use a flimsy table to set their flimsy table on was the Linn (just kidding about the flimsy Linn table all of you Linnites). So go tell your friend to pound sand because, well, he probably needs some sand to load down his turntable stand.

I used the Sound Organisation stand when I had my Linn. It wasn't flimsy. In fact, it was quite low, sturdy and light :) But I think with the Linn, a lot had to do with its inability to filter out low frequencies and footfalls. A friend who had a Linn and lousy wood floor could never get it to totally work--even resorting to mounting a stand on the wall :) Footfalls would always make the arm skip :(

All things being equal, lower (with the mass closer to the ground) is more stable. But a lot depends on the situation and mass of the table, type of floor, etc (eg. a big heavy table on a light, tall, unstable stand is not the best choice). Something like the HRS or SRA racks are quite stable and tall since they sport a lot of mass too.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Sonora stand is solid steel and mdf, plus my Nottingham is solid steel as well. Together with the isolation I've incorporated I am very happy with the result and I personally can't see that I would attain a major difference in sound quality. Even if I were to....my back is more important than a few degrees of sound improvement.

I think I'll stick with the current implementation as suggested. Thanks boys!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I agree with others and your choice. Mass per se isn't a bad thing: consider how much mass most of the top flight TTs have: the Goldmund Reference, Clearaudio Statement, the Walker, etc. All are very massive!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Eye level! Your back will thank you.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always like it below my chest level. I don't have to stoop low and I can still look down at the platter to see what's going on when I place my record on it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I always like it below my chest level. I don't have to stoop low and I can still look down at the platter to see what's going on when I place my record on it.

At only 5'8", the 46" is just about that height, so I agree.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You must be taller than me!

No, I'm 5' 10". But that's my prefered Turntable's height for all kind of adjustments and checking things right. :)

Concrete floors are also my prefered ones for setting up my turntables.

And if the floor lacks rigidity, I install my stands on walls or from the ceiling with chains.

* John, just try it out, with a stand that is 55" from the floor, so the height of your record will be at about 60 inches, depending of the turntable used (some at 59", others at 63" height).

Playing Records is an Art form, and your body and soul are part of that equation;
so are your ears and eyes.
So, make yourself comfortable, and one with your turntable; be at almost eye level with your vinyl, just like your most loved lover in life (girlfriend or wife).

**** It's like having your own freedom in deciding the ideal height of the eyes of your lover when you are facing her and embracing her with lover kisses.
See deep into the soul of her eyes...

Reactions: Stump

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing