Your lastest music purchases!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To me, first and foremost, it's all about the music and I love discovering new artists and better pressings. Used, new, analogue or digital, it don't matter to me. Post what you recently picked up (pictures are encouraged when possible), and maybe we can all discover a gem or two or three.

I'll start off by submitting pics of some vinyl I picked up in the last 2 days.

Grateful Dead - A&#1.JPG
James Taylor - JT&#46.JPG
035..JPG
034..JPG

My original Tea for the Tillerman is still in excellent shape, but I picked this up in part because of the comments I've been reading here. There seem to be many of you who thought this was less than expected, while some enjoyed this new pressing quite bit bit. I figured I'd buy it and find out for myself.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Where did you find them John?

Here in the Bay Area we are spoiled with Amoeba records where you can assemble a great library of used vinyl for under $1000

I got the first 2 from my local guy (who is expensive and I know it), but he's very knowledgeable and I don't mind paying extra for it, in addition to supporting the little guy so to speak. The last 2 I bought yesterday at the TAVES show in Toronto (no tax..nice).

We have lots of used vinyl guys in Toronto. Queen St downtown must have at least 5 shops within a few bocks, and there is also a good circuit of vinyl shows throught the year. I don't buy much used anymore (have plenty already, about 3,000), but am focusing on audiophile pressings now. That has been an interesting experience and relatively new for even this 45yr collector of the balck gold. Audiophile doesn't always equate to better. It is fun though, and one has to take the good with the bad when trying new things.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
some from last month, still havent gotten them all...

New/used Vinyl:
Baden Powell - solitude on guitar (recent reissue)
Baden Powell - Tristeza on guitar (recent reissue)
Lemonheads - Varshons
Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane - rough mix (used Calssic 180g reissue off ebay i missed the boat when they were new. havnet compared it to my UK copy yet)
Jimi Hendrix - Live in the west (recent reissue)
Angus and Julia Stone - Down The Way (out of print and getting flippin' expensive)
Mark Kozelek - Finally
Sean Hayes - run wolves run
John Klemmer - straight from the heart, Nautilus direct-to-disc. (Amoeba had this missed priced at $15 - couldnt pass it up, its like my 5th copy just cant get enough of "Summertime')
The Kings Singers - lollipops, EMI 1975 UK pressing (this is will be my 3rd copy cant find a clean one without noise, lets see if this one proves me wrong)
Ansermet Daphnis et Chloe - Classic LSC reissue (again more resisse stuff i missed when i dropped out of collecting, overpayed for this one off ebay, used)

CDs
Eric Dolphy - Last Date (jpn, used ebay)
Doug Watkins - At large (jpn, used ebay)
Clifford Brown - With Stings, Emarcy (Jnp mini LP, used)
Marcus Miller - Dreyfus night in Paris (ebay, french import - dynamic as any live album ive heard - if you like fusion)
Archie Shepp - True Ballads (Jpn, ebay from taiwan - in the room sonics like Archie is blowing five feet from your listening chair)
A City of Sadness - OST (Jpn import from ebay Taiwan)
Angelique kidjo - Jazz a Saint Germain (a sleeper of a disc great covers and low notes that will take you by surprise)
Alberto Iglesias - Viva La tristeza (compilation album recommended to me by same guy as above)
Brian Bromberg - Hands (ordered it straight from his website, a Jpn version of the identical music is available from Tetsuo-san at East Wind imports in Cali)
Magoni and Ferruccio - Musica Nuda 2

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

New/used Vinyl:
Baden Powell - solitude on guitar (resent reissue)
Baden Powell - Tristeza on guitar (resent reissue)
Lemonheads - Varshons
Pete Townsend/Ronnie Lane - rough mix (used Calssic 180g reissue off ebay i missed the boat when they were new. havnet compared it to my UK copy yet)
Jimi Hendrix - Live in the west (resent reissue)
Angus and Julia Stone - Down The Way (out of print and getting flippin' expensive)
Mark Kozelek - Finally
Sean Hayes - wolves run fast
John Klemmer - straight from the heart, Nautilus direct-to-disc. (Ameoba had this missed priced at $15 - couldnt pass it up, its like my 5th copy just cant get enough of "Summertime')
The Kings Singers - lollipops, EMI 1975 UK pressing (this is will be my 3rd copy cant find a clean one without noise, lets see if this one proves me wrong)
Ansermet Daphis et Chloe - Classic LSC reissue (again more resisse stuff i missed when i dropped out of collecting, overpayed for this one off ebay, used)

CDs
Marcus Miller - Dreyfus night Paris (ebay, french import - dynamic as any live album ive heard - if you like fusion)
Archie Shepp - True Ballads (Jpn, ebay from taiwan - in the room sonics like Archie is blowing five feet from your listening chair)
Angelique Jidjo - Viva a Saint Germain (a sleeper of a disc great covers and low notes that will take you by surprise)
Alberto Iglesias - Viva La tristeza (compellation album recommended to me by same guy as above)
Brian Bromberg - Hands (ordered it straight from his website, a Jpn version of the identical music is available from Tetsuo-san at East Wind imports in Cali)

How's the Baden Powell? I saw a few yesterday and was tempted, but I am really not too familiar with him. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Girls "Father, Son, Holy Ghost"
Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks "Mirror Traffic"
St. Vincent "Strange Mercy"
Lia Ices "Grown Unknown"
Detroit Cobras "Tied and True"
Widowspeak
Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass "South of the Border" (mono)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

New/used Vinyl:
Baden Powell - solitude on guitar (resent reissue)
Baden Powell - Tristeza on guitar (resent reissue)
Lemonheads - Varshons
Jimi Hendrix - Live in the west (resent reissue)
Mark Kozelek - Finally
Sean Hayes - wolves run fast
John Klemmer - straight from the heart, Nautilus direct-to-disc. (Ameoba had this missed priced at $15 - couldnt pass it up, its like my 5th copy just cant get enough of "Summertime')
Ansermet Daphis et Chloe - Classic LSC reissue (again more resisse stuff i missed when i dropped out of collecting, overpayed for this one off ebay, used)

CDs
Marcus Miller - Dreyfus night Paris (ebay, french import - dynamic as any live album ive heard - if you like fusion)
Angelique kidjo - Jazz a Saint Germain (a sleeper of a disc great covers and low notes that will take you by surprise)
Alberto Iglesias - Viva La tristeza (compilation album recommended to me by same guy as above)
Magoni and Ferruccio - Musica Nuda 2

Check www.themusic.com for Classic Records. They still have new copies of different Who albums for reasonable prices. You might also find some others that you missed :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Baden

John, i had the german pressing of Solitude eons ago before i sold off my collection (the first time, but thats another story) and it was regarded as the essential baden powell on many levels. theres a backstory about the recording session and Baden finding out his then teenage girlfriend wouldnt be meeting him at the airport for his European tour that night and that sadness was reflected in the music (thats so Brazilian ;)) i can see why they gave this title special attenion with the reissue because the sonics and music are among his best it was recorded in germany while he was on tour. to my knowledge it was never reissued on LP till now. Carioca strumming at its best.

I have the CD to tie me over, still didnt get my shipment from soundstagedirect i will comment when i get it and its on the Linn spinning its heart out.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

Is Sam The Record Man still on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto

Naw...closed up shop years ago. All the biggies are gone, but there is a thriving new market that seems to be expanding.

I do hear that Sam still has one location in (of all places) Peterborough. I'll have to check it out next time I go to Montreal.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thought I'd revive this thread, since I'm sure many have bought new music. I have as well and I should have kept this thread going, but I'm having way too much fun in Gary's "Hot pressings" thread.

Bought an LP off of eBay today (my first ever eBay purchase), and I'm hoping all goes well. I made sure to pay via PayPal, so I have some protection. What I bought was an album by Livingston Taylor - Over The Rainbow. It's a sealed copy, so I'm excited about that. In fact, I'm excited about the fact I could even find this. My main reason for wanting it is the song "I Can Dream Of You" and I hope the sound quality equals the lyrics of this most beautiful song.

Livingston Taylo&#11.jpg

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Last buys over a few months

Miles The new Sketches of Spain Various artist eONE
Porgy & Bess - Miles Davis Columbia

Tank Full of Blues - Dion
I'm a big fan of Dion's blues disc. All highly recommended
The others are Bronx in Blue, Son of Skip James
Rock n Roll Christmas - Dion

Ascenseur pour l'echafaud soundtrack late 50's French film noir complete MilesDavis
This is an interesting recording and holds up quite well considering the period, its from late 50's. Mix of US & EUR musicians

A State of Wonder The Complete Goldberg Variations 55 & 81 Glenn Gould Sony

Harry Belafonte Live in Concert @ Carnegie Hall 2 cd's K2HD
I have about 6/7 diff disc on this including Vinyl & needle drops, Sacd(very disappointing, that's at the bottom). Currently this one is now at the top of the heap.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Roy Eldridge "Dale's Wail", Clef, 1953 (mono)

Al Grey "Last of The Big Plungers", Argo, 1959 (stereo)

Galatic "Carnivale Electricos", Anti, 2012 (Red Vinyl)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ella and Louis Remasertered (both the FIM Ultradisc and the Analogue Productions)
Ella and Louis Again Remastered (Analogue Productions and MFSL)

I did this to learn about the various remastering companies...i figure i have plenty of audiophile friends who do me favors...rather than a bottle of wine, a great remaster of these classics would probably be more welcome...so i can keep one and give the other after comparing.

I also go Oscar Peterson We Get Requests (FIM Ultradisc and Analogue Productions)

Beethoven Symphonies (1-9) Karajan 1963 - SACD Remaster

Pink Floyd WYWH (SACD Remaster)

Sonny Rollins Analogue Productions SACD (Vol 2)
John Lee Hooker Serves you right to suffer (SACD Anaologue Productions)

Dead Can Dance spiritchaser (MFSL Remaster)
Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth MOFI remaster

Haydn - The Seasons Rene Jacob Frieberg Baroque Orchestera
Haydn The Creation - Harnoncourt

CPE Bach - Keyboard Concertos - Harmonia Mundi

Devertimenti - bluray/sacd

waltz for debbie - remastered bill evans trio

midnight at notre dame - sacd - organ (Bach, Mozart, etc)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing