Not sure where to start?

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I like to DIY and currently find my bass and soundstage lacking.As I approach the speakers and stand about 1-2ft from them,the soundstage/bass is amazing.Not sure if the should be moved further apart which they are about 20inches from the walls now and close to 8ft apart and i sit about 13ft away.
any thoughts where to start?
thanks

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I see that there is limited conversation on getting started here guys?

Not fair. Notice that there have been over 80 views of your post. I don't think anyone has much idea how to advise you to proceed.

You have provided very limited information about the dimensions of your room and its layout. You have not listed your gear that is involved. Are you saying: "As I approach the midpoint of a line connecting the speakers, and am standing only a couple feet in front of that line, the sound acquires a spaciousness that it lacks from the usual listening position."???

It may be that you are listening from too far away. Your speakers, being so close to the side walls, may actually be producing first reflections off the side walls that are interfering with the direct arrival of the sound. Try moving the speakers another 6" away from the walls and moving your listening position about 5 feet closer. You might also try some side wall absorptive treatments to reduce the reflected energy.

It seems as though the relationship between your speaker placement, room dimensions/acoustics, and your listening position is far from optimal. Of course, these comments are only based upon the very limited information provided.

If you can provide more detailed information, I'll bet others will step up to offer suggestions.

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Floor-standers? Stand-mounts? How big? Horns? Ribbons? Conventional drivers? Bi-pole? Di-pole? Right off of the top of my head, I'd say if these are conventional dome/cone drivers in a box speaker, you're too far away if they're only 8' apart. Are they toed in at all? If yes, that will make matters worse in the above scenario. At 8' apart, you need to start at 8' away, with the speakers toed in so you can see just a bit of the inside plane of each speaker box, then play with it from there. At just 20" from the side walls, you may need to dampen the first reflections with something. Here's the bone-simple version: Sit where you're going to sit. Have a friend with a mirror start on the wall right next to the speaker, then bring the mirror forward, along the wall, until you see the reflection of the speaker in the mirror. Put something soft there.

If you're stuck with 8' apart and 13' away, bring those speakers in another 6" each, eliminate any toe-in, dampen the first reflections (wall haning, potted plant, case full of books, soft chair - anything soft and diffusive will treat if not cure) and see what you get. You're going to get compromise, no question about it. What you gain in breadth you may lose in precise imaging. Or maybe not. Depends on what the answers are to all those questions up top.

Tim

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
thank you
They are atc soft dome mids,Scanspeak 7100 softdome highs with a 9700 rearfire.I currently use 2 -12 inch Audio Technology for lows and crossed at 380/3800hz.I have a 13.5x22 foot room,with the door in the middle of the left side(full veneer core 36").I have all 2x6 walls full of roxul and a R60 blown in the ceiling.Carpetted floor and drywall.I was going to put long heavy black veloury type curtain material on rods that stick out about 4 inches from the walls around the room.This way I can close or open them where needed.They will also give a corregated material look when bunched together.I moved them out and toed them in heavily but not much better.There is a 65" plasma to deal with so I have to leav at least 8' for now untill I invert the roo.I have 2-19"x60" windows behind but they will be in front when room is switched.I can use some advice .
thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mclsound,

Don't forget to experiment with the location listening position too. Lot's of people forget that sometimes their seat is in one type of node or another. HTH. :)

Jack

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'll repeat myself for clarity:

RBFC said:
It may be that you are listening from too far away. Your speakers, being so close to the side walls, may actually be producing first reflections off the side walls that are interfering with the direct arrival of the sound. Try moving the speakers another 6" away from the walls and moving your listening position about 5 feet closer. You might also try some side wall absorptive treatments to reduce the reflected energy.

I added the bold font to emphasize that the listening position is another factor that must be considered.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing