SMc VRE-1 Virtual Reality Engine Preamp

audiospirit

Jun 1, 2010
Reno, NV
I couldn't find it via the search engine on the site, but was wondering if anyone has auditioned Steve McCormack's VRE-1 preamplifier? If so, what other preamps did you compare it to? One of the others I have in mind is the Audio Research Ref. 5. To give you an idea of my price/performance range.

Thanks for any input in advance!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm sure Gary could tell you lots more, but every time I've heard it, it's been phenomenal... I'd say it compares well with CAT

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
When Steve brought the VRE-1 up to Seattle for a meeting at our local audio society, I thought that it was easily the best music I've heard in that church basement ever, or since. After that, I made a couple of suggestions, Steve went away to work, and the VRE-1B was developed - which was even better.

We'll have the latest version - the VRE-1C - in our room at RMAF. I was down at Steve's place in South California a couple of times over the past year working on the umbilical between the power supply and the preamp itself. It's something really special. I've already sold my FM Acoustics preamp.....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Curious .. Price ?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I note that he's using choke filtering on his power supplies; probably the key element making all the difference ...

Frank

I doubt it Frank. Chokes in power supplies have been around forever and within the last 10 years or so have made it back in vogue in some high-end equipment. If this preamp is good enough for Gary to sell his rare and expensive FM Acoustics preamp, it has to be something very special that would go way beyond a simple choke in the power supply.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Fair enough. It's the thing that hit me straight away when I read the blurbs, and the next 2 things are that the supply is external, and that there is no On/Off switch. Precisely the sort of lengths you need to go to, Steve's been around a long time and he would be very aware of all the subtleties in all the little areas that are so crucial ...

Frank

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Don't know the price yet, but it's likely to be in the $20k region.

When he introduced it, granted a few years ago, the msrp was around $7.5K. That's what I call inflation. Having owned a DNA 0.5 and an RLD-1 I can testify to the fact that McCormack gear is very, very good. This little wonder must be something truly special.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Fair enough. It's the thing that hit me straight away when I read the blurbs, and the next 2 things are that the supply is external, and that there is no On/Off switch. Precisely the sort of lengths you need to go to, Steve's been around a long time and he would be very aware of all the subtleties in all the little areas that are so crucial ...

Frank

Lots of preamps have outboard power supplies. My first "high end" preamp was the PS Audio 4H and it had an outboard power supply. Both my Krell KPE Reference phono stage and KBL preamp have outboard power supplies with no on-off switches. They stay powered on as long as they are plugged in. SS always sounds better if it is left on. I haven't turned off my Denon AVR receiver for over 9 years except for bad electrical storms.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
My first "high end" preamp was the PS Audio 4H and it had an outboard power supply. Both my Krell KPE Reference phono stage and KBL preamp have outboard power supplies with no on-off switches. They stay powered on as long as they are plugged in.
But is the umbilical cord captive, hardwired? A source of weakness there, if not. I wonder if anyone has created an audio unit where the power supply is completely encapsulated, as per a separate unit, same for the main circuitry to give good shielding, and then created an outer box which neatly ties the two together, to give a unified appearance. Two boxes within a box concept ...

That solves the clumsiness of separate bits, and the "problem" that the cord is usually detachable.

Frank

mep

Apr 20, 2010
But is the umbilical cord captive, hardwired? A source of weakness there, if not. Frank

I doubt it Frank. It's a source of being a PITA if the power cord is not detachable between the preamp and power supply. We are not talking about millivolt or microvolt level signals here and I see no harm from making the cable detachable. Other people could choose to sit up at night and neurose over it, it just won't be me.

Ask anyone who owns or who has ever owned a CAT preamp how practical and how much fun that arrangement is.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Quite a review on this preamp. It uses Lundahl and Jensen transformers. The lundahls especially the amorphous core transformers are very transparent. I like the ground switch,shows good design as this option can and will effect the clarity. At 8K this preamp was probably a steal,twice or 3 times the price less so. It has all the sonic markers of a great preamp. I don't think,low gain is needed for this level of performance,but again that's just my opinion. Someday I will listen to this preamp.

I did a little research later on the web and found this by Steve M. commenting on the transformers:

"I now use Lundahl amorphous-core transformers in my amp upgrades (and in my VRE-1 preamp). I started with Jensen transformers, but switched a few years ago when I found the Lundahls offered better transparency. I originally used input transformers to provide a balanced option, but I then found that I preferred the sound of my amps with them, regardless of which input (balanced or unbalanced) I was using. First of all they provide complete immunity from DC and RFI, and well-designed units have outstanding common-mode noise rejection (CMRR). This allowed me to simplify my amp's input stage, and the net result was sound that I hear as cleaner, clearer, smoother, and more "pure" if you will excuse the expression. And keep in mind that my design handles both balanced and unbalanced signals via the same path (the only difference being the input jacks) so you get the benefit of the transformer either way. Of course this only works well with great transformers, but that is the only kind I use ;-)

In short, I feel the input transformers are a sonic benefit even if you use only the unbalanced inputs. The only downside is the relatively low 10KOhm input impedance, but this is an issue with only a small number of preamps."
Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio

"First of all they provide complete immunity from DC and RFI, and well-designed units have outstanding common-mode noise rejection (CMRR)."

You'll notice Steve M. talks about RFI and CMRR,very important for the kind of transparency that his preamp exhibits.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I doubt it Frank. It's a source of being a PITA if the power cord is not detachable between the preamp and power supply. We are not talking about millivolt or microvolt level signals here and I see no harm from making the cable detachable. Other people could choose to sit up at night and neurose over it, it just won't be me.

Ask anyone who owns or who has ever owned a CAT preamp how practical and how much fun that arrangement is.

The power umbilical is NOT captive.... and there are two. One is used to supply the power to the audio circuitry, and a separate power umbilical supplies power to the control circuits, relays, reed switches and digital circuitry.

Steve and I spent almost 6 months developing the umbilical for the audio circuitry.

Having had the VRE-1C for the 4 days RMAF, I must say that this is probably the first time that the remote-controlled version of a preamp sounds better than the manual version (the VRE-1B). Steve said that this boiled down to the new volume control that he designed.

In the VRE-1B, he used a Shallco rotary switch and discrete resistors - one resistor per volume step. In the new remote-controlled volume control, he uses precision reed switches and 14 resistors of various values. Then, developed the program logic to switch various numbers of resistors together to get the value necessary for the attenuation desired. In this way, there is usually more than one resistor in parallel in the circuit. The paralleled resistors sounding better than the single resistor in the old discrete volume control.

Also, all digital circuitry is turned off at all times except when they are required. So the moment you touch the remote or volume knob, the digital circuits wake up, perform what's necessary, and then go back to sleep.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Some manufacturers have non detachable umbilical cords between power and preamplifier units to avoid users damaging the units connecting the cable with the power unit connect to the mains and switched on.
Although there are plenty of warning labels everywhere in the packing and units, I learned a sad story about an ARC REF40 owner who damaged the preamplifier three minutes after opening the box ...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You can't protect against stupidity/ignorance. Most manufacturers of high-end gear that have outboard power supplies use military connectors that are keyed and can only be installed one way. However, I have seen keyed connectors on electronics jammed in the wrong position which usually results in broken and/or bent pins. I have also witnessed someone seating CCAs with a block of wood and a hammer. And yes, plugging or unplugging an umbilical power connector from the power supply while it is plugged in the wall and powered on can either ruin gear, ruin your day as you become electrified, or both.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have the latest version in house for a preview prior to RMAF. It offers a very clear and dimensional portrayal of each image. Notice I say "each". This is first preamp that actually separates instrumental voices and images across the stage. Dynamically, it is the best pre I've ever heard. More to come...

Image 3.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing