Apr 20, 2010
New York City
deleted

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
:)Myles, because I'm so jealous I'll poke a little fun at you. Nothing says you have to listen during the break in. 61 days in two months. 61x24=1424hrs. Now put that cd player on repeat, send a check to the electric company, apologize to the neighbors, and get us a progress report in two weeks.:cool:

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
:)Mykes, because I'm so jealous I'll poke a little fun at you. Nothing says you have to listen during the break in. 61 days in two months. 61x24=1424hrs. Now put that cd player on repeat, send a check to the electric company, apologize to the neighbors, and get us a progress report in two weeks.:cool:

Isn't that the truth. I was thinking the same when I first read the thread and guestimating what that will add to the electric bill.

Myles, do yourself a favor however and use Jim Auld's (Purist Audio Design) System Enhancer (burn-in disk) and save yourself a lot of time and money

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yeah used to have one around, will have to dig around in the closet to see if can find it :) Thanks for the suggestion. If not, maybe I'll give Jim a call.

Get his latest version which is 76 minutes and longer than the other 2 versions

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hmmm Myles.

I almost don't want to know how they eventually sound. I really can't afford new partners to my ART3 :eek:

I hope they sound like my prem8a's with teflon caps, but quieter, a lot more dymanic bass slam and depth, a nice see through pure midrange and similar or better treble purity and extension.

I am worried about having a 6h30 in the circuit, as I did not appreciate the slightly stark/neutarlity of the prem 140 - It ventured to close to ARC for my liking. I heard the LP275's were a step back to more tonal warmth and musicality of old, but still nice and transparent.

I look forward to your review, warts and all.

cheers

Shane

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Think about the seamless, grainfree, smooth sound of the best triode tube or single ended amp with effortless sound :)

Sounds wonderful Myles.

How does it drive low impedances, or are you only running them on your ML's.

My Strad's while efficient do have a low impedance in the bass region that my prem 8a's struggle a bit on.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Myles B. Astor,

I am sure these amps will sound great with wimpy speakers. Are you going to put these amps through their paces? What speakers are you going to evaluate them with? I am wondering what the toughest load these amps can drive. Looking forward to your comments.

caesar

May 30, 2010
If you could do that, I think it would be of great service to the audiophile community. I am especially interested in dynamics, bass control and extension of the highs with the difficult speaker loads.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Myles

How are the ART amps going now ? we need an update :)

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Myles,

I just read this thread start to finish and now know much more about teflon caps, but it all makes sense. What I am lacking is hearing your report after not months of use of the ART's. BTW, which ML's are you using?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thanks for the response. I am considering the Summit X's and wondering what your thoughts are about them compared to the original Summits?

I will reserve posting my 6H30 thoughts until my replacement 6h30p-DR NOS arrives and I can insert it back into the preamp, but I am pretty sure that I know what I will be saying---Three things 1) Tubes are like cables and should be used to tune your system to your personal preference; 2) like every other component in a piece of tube electronics, tubes help shape the final sound and thus a specific tube is likely to sound different in each individual piece based on the rest of the components in the signal path; and 3) one thing that no one but me has mentioned yet, and that is the sound stage differences between the Reflector and Sovtek 6H30's, which is what sells it for me at this point for the 6H30p-DR. It is so superior and enveloping with the Reflectors compared to the Sovteks that even if it is bringing something less than good to my total sound, which I am not detecting BTW, the total experience is so much more "believable" that it is where I am going for the time being. I say "time being" because as I build up the quality of the other pieces on my system, maybe I will start to hear something that is either currently masked or functioning as a positive coloration given the current pieces in the signal path.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
.., Teflon caps have some unique characteristics. Electrically they are about as perfect as can be, but Teflon has the mechanical properties of a liquid and therefore flows slowly when under pressure. In the case of Teflon caps, the actual value and the microphonic properties (probably the biggest drawback of Teflon caps) change over time when a DC voltage is applied. The value goes up and the microphonics go down, because the Teflon settles under the force of the electrostatic field in the cap.

So when a Teflon cap is used in AC only applications such as filters, the break-in effects are very small and can take years. However, if a Teflon cap is used as a coupling cap between the anode of a tube and the output of the amp, for instance, the break-in effects are significantly larger and it also goes a lot faster. (Months or weeks depending on the DC voltage applied.)

For that reason I would recommend if you use Teflon caps to keep the anode voltage of your amplifiers switched on all the time and only switch off your filament voltage to spare your tubes when not in use.
[/I]

Very interesting. May be it is why Audioquest uses biasing batteries (72V) in their cables and JBL also uses a small battery to bias the crossover capacitors in the DD66000.

audiodoctor

Aug 16, 2010
Hey Guys this is Dave Lalin, owner of Audio Doctor, www.audiodoctor.com, we are the New York City and NJ CJ ART dealer so you could say I have a bit of experience with the ARTS.

In a word once broken in they are among the most musically perfect amplifiers that I have had the pleasure of working with. They befit greatly from proper amp stands, I am using the Stillpoints, good power cords, and both are plugged into a Running Springs Maxim.

Once you have broken in these amplifiers watch out" huge soundstage, a rich involving but fast midrange, excellent top and bottom end extension and the amps just get out of the way they don't sound like tubes or solid state, but rather a unique combination of both.

I would invite anyone in the NJ/NY area to visit my reference rig: Scaena 3.2, CJ ART and GAT, Esoteric K03, Qsonix Server, Manley Steelhead, Kubala Sosna Elation and Emotion Cables, RTi Dimitri and Maxim, Roksan Xerxes X with Basis Vector, and Benz LP S.

By the way the new Esoteric K03 is a mind bender, an amazing piece of digital hardware!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks for the info.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Part-Time...i am pretty sure Myles is still luving the CJ GAT/CJ ART thing having seen a few posts from him recently about CJ. Are you a CJ owner as well?

Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
parttimeaudiophile.com
Hi Part-Time...i am pretty sure Myles is still luving the CJ GAT/CJ ART thing having seen a few posts from him recently about CJ. Are you a CJ owner as well?

Nah, just curious. Still interested in the brand. Wondering if I should jump to the top of the heap -- or if there is still a lot on offer if you come in mid-line (ET5+LP125).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing